The choices! Seeking advice from others more seasoned than myself

Baconyoulikeapig

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Time for a new smoker and would like to bounce some thoughts around.

I have been smoking on a GMG for the last 4 years and a Weber Kettle here and there. I believe it is time for me to move up to a better unit and would like to have more control over managing temps and not rely on electronics to do the work for me.

That being said, I am looking for a new cooker to get more creative and ‘in tune’ with smoking. However, I don’t want to go as far as getting an offset because let’s face it, I like to sleep through the night when doing a brisket and have a young daughter that takes much of my attention. Ideally, I would like to have a gravity fed insulated cabinet smoker, and while there are many beautifully crafted cabinet smokers out there, I cannot justify the price of roughly 2k at a minimum with shipping included on a small unit that’s good at one thing only. I have looked at pretty much every smoker option available and would be surprised if someone recommended one I have not yet looked into (but maybe I overlooked something on one of them)?? I know there are cheaper routes I could go such as the WSM, but I live in Oregon and I smoke all year long and don’t want to deal with temperature fluctuations from the blustery winds we get fairly often. And I don’t want to deal with blanketing the WSM to assist is fighting the temperature swings from said wind.

I have narrowed my options down to two, and while they are very different units, they both seem to indirect smoke and grill well while staying at about $1500 all in, which is what I am comfortable spending.

Kamado Big Joe, $1500 through Costco road show

Pros:
-Very fuel efficient
-Extremely stable temperatures for long a period of time (longer than I would ever need) -Can make Pizza’s with super high heat and has option of using the Rotisserie (although both not a huge draw for me)

Cons:

-Fragile, could crack diffuser plates or firebox panels over time, also would be risky transporting it to events
-Relatively small grate space even with second tier shelf 452 sq in main grate plus 271 second totaling 723 sq in
-Made in China. I am all about buying made in America, especially when our economy needs it the most.

Assassin 36” Charcoal Grill, $1450 with custom changes and delivery - http://www.assassin-smokers.com/charcoal-grills/

Pros:
-Sturdy
- Would have no issues loading onto a trailer and tying down to transport to events
-Lots of grate space – 1165.5 sq in in total with both racks
-Can pull out charcoal tray during cook to add more wood if needed
-Can customize a few things on it when I order to make it very close to where I would want it
-Made in the USA

Cons:

-Not geared towards being an exceptional smoker but looks like it can do a pretty good job at it
-Doesn’t appear to be very fuel efficient but sounds like a person can maintain a fairly stable temp for 10-12 hours without adjustments (from what I understand based off of reading the few reviews out there)
-Paying $500 for shipping

Can anyone offer their experience with the Assassin charcoal grill or point out any obvious pros or cons I may have missed?

Personally, I'd save a little longer and get yourself a nice insulated cabinet smoker. An insulated cabinet closely matches your requirements without any compromises.

Of those two, the assassin interests me more.

Being in Oregon, and I understand you don’t want to up your budget to that range, but I’d definitely recommend looking at Cascade smokers in the bend/Redmond area. It really can be a once in a life purchase, so getting exactly what you want the first time can actually shave you money in the long run. Personally I wouldn’t spend $1500 on a cooker unless you think it will fit what you want. You don’t want to get it and be wishing for something else.

I had a great time making a day trip over to Redmond area and meeting the builder while picking up my smoker. Obviously it would cost you gas and time, but from Hillsboro, a heck of a lot cheaper than $500. Plus there are some great breweries and outdoors to check out while you are there.

The ambient temperature and winds have zero effect on my smoker. A couple years ago there were a lot of winds on thanksgiving and it really delayed my cook on my drum. This last year I had my quedeville and the turkey actually was done ahead of time. The consistency of the cooker really lets you focus on other parts of the cook.

I use it probably 2-3 times a week. It does great on everything I have tried in it from chicken, tri tip, prime rib, brisket, ribs, etc.

if you already have a Weber kettle, you would have all your bases covered. I use my pk360 for all my grilling/searing needs and the Quedeville for longer cooks. The build quality leaves me no doubt I will have this smoker in 20-30 more years.

I don't have a KJ but do have a BGE. The ceramics IMO are great for grilling (if the space isn't an issue), pizzas and baking bread. Smoking to my palette leaves a stale smoke smell as down low the charcoal is just smoldering. However if the taste doesn't bother you they're easy for long low cooks.

Of those two, the assassin interests me more.

Being in Oregon, and I understand you don’t want to up your budget to that range, but I’d definitely recommend looking at Cascade smokers in the bend/Redmond area. It really can be a once in a life purchase, so getting exactly what you want the first time can actually shave you money in the long run. Personally I wouldn’t spend $1500 on a cooker unless you think it will fit what you want. You don’t want to get it and be wishing for something else.

I had a great time making a day trip over to Redmond area and meeting the builder while picking up my smoker. Obviously it would cost you gas and time, but from Hillsboro, a heck of a lot cheaper than $500. Plus there are some great breweries and outdoors to check out while you are there.

The ambient temperature and winds have zero effect on my smoker. A couple years ago there were a lot of winds on thanksgiving and it really delayed my cook on my drum. This last year I had my quedeville and the turkey actually was done ahead of time. The consistency of the cooker really lets you focus on other parts of the cook.

I use it probably 2-3 times a week. It does great on everything I have tried in it from chicken, tri tip, prime rib, brisket, ribs, etc.

if you already have a Weber kettle, you would have all your bases covered. I use my pk360 for all my grilling/searing needs and the Quedeville for longer cooks. The build quality leaves me no doubt I will have this smoker in 20-30 more years.

Thank you for your thoughts! I have actually spoken with Rob at Cascade Smokers. His products look top notch and I was really considering Que Meister and would have driven over to pick it up. But then I sat on it for awhile and talked myself out of spending the $2300. Maybe I need to do some deep soul searching again..

Last edited:
How the heck can that thing be any good at that price?

Made in Mexico (Old Country is a Mexican company), 14 gauge inner and outer with bottom half of chute 1/4”, no internal frame just bracing, skin corners welded but rest secured with sheet metal screws, simple door hinges and latches, no fancy options, basic Rustoleum BBQ Paint, small profit margin on Volume sales ..........just like the rest of Old Country Smokers.

I have the kamado joe III and insulated vertical cabinet (T&K). When it comes to smoking I prefer the T&K. Super easy. I come of the GMG and haven't looked back. Not because it wasn't a good smoker I just enjoy the charcoal more. One thing with the kamado is you have to use lump. Not a big deal but want you to be aware. The cabinet you can use either lump or briquettes. Briquettes make a lot more ash though. I mainly use the kamado as a really expensive grill now. I like smoking for small family get togethers regularly and the size of the joe was an issue. Also I think my T&K takes up the same amount of room as the kamado since it is vertical. Being exactly where you are a couple months ago I agree with yhe other post to spend the extra money. 2K is a lot of money for a smoker in my opinion, but 1.5k is more for something that doesn't meet your wants/requirements. Let us know either way and good luck.

Thank you for your thoughts! I have actually spoken with Rob at Cascade Smokers. His products look top notch and I was really considering Que Meister and would have driven over to pick it up. But then I sat on it for awhile and talked myself out of spending the $2300. Maybe I need to do some deep soul searching again..

Big mistake in my opinion talking yourself out of it especially given how close you are. In my opinion you're not going to find a better built IVC than a smoker from Cascade Smokers.

There is more.
BBQ Freak, a Brethren has video's he did with his Assassin on youtube. Look him up.
Here is his maze findings
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=238402

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=247458

Reading the posts and watching the videos posted by BBQ Freak is what initially got me so excited about the Assassin. It appears he doesn't have it anymore so I don't know if that's a bad sign or not. I was hoping to hear reviews from others as well.

Reading the posts and watching the videos posted by BBQ Freak is what initially got me so excited about the Assassin. It appears he doesn't have it anymore so I don't know if that's a bad sign or not. I was hoping to hear reviews from others as well.
Pm BBQ Freak (Jeff). I'm sure he would be happy to answer any questions you have. Jeff is busy with his 6th? new Shirley. He just sold his T&K cabinet smoker.
Really it comes down to what YOU want. And how you prefer to cook.
I tried the insulated cookers. Just not for me. I like/prefer more airflow thru a cooker. I don't find any reason/requirement for insulation. None on my cabinet or drum. I cook year round w/o problems. But that is me.

He buys a New smoker Yearly and sells off the previous one.......

Save a little more and check out the Humphrey's cabinets. Battle Box and Weekender.

+1 for the assassin. My large BGE went humpty dumpty on me this year. I have had my fill of kamado's. They are efficient but the space sucks.

Back