Red Beans and Rice question

Spydermike72

Babbling Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
OK, I know this is going to be maybe the dumbest question ever in the history of the Brethren forum, but I am going to ask it anyways. I am going to make Big Mista's Red Beans and Rice tonight for our New Years Eve party (this will be my first time), if I am going to the local grocery store (Krogers) what type of Bean do I buy ?? I know it is not a kidney bean.

Thanks!!

Red Beans! They sometimes will come in two sizes. I like the "Small Red Beans." I could be off base but I think they have better texture.

Small Red Beans. Kidney Beans are not the same.
learn something new everyday around here......didn't know there was a difference:biggrin:

Thanks for the info on the two different sizes.

The ones I purchase at Krogers are a bit bigger than Navy beans. Not near as big as Kindey beans after soaking.

Red beans!~ LOL! I think you got your answer a while ago!
I made it a little while ago, is is soooo good!

I use light red beans or light red kidney beans. Actually, I like the kidney beans better. The key to good beans is cooking a long time (crock pot), and good meat base for the liquor. My personal favorite is andouille or polish kielbalsa sausage. Back home, these beans are prepared on Sunday for lunch on Monday.

Hey Mista, I will take a pic when they are finished (if I followed your receipe correctly!!)
Don't let Mista fool you (he's from Texas), the key to Louisiana cooking is to use what you have on hand. Most of the recipes that I use have been handed down by teaching and word of mouth.

Noah has some guidelines if not a whole recipe here as well. Between him and Mista they have saved me from more than one trip to Popeyes to cure my craving!

I got a pot of em ot stove right now with home made Chaurice and Smoked Andouille. I'll try to remember pictures when served! Thanks Mista! NUTZ

Well, crap. I just got about 5# of boudin from Tim's latest road trip. You farks are going to make me have to cook some beans and rice to go with it...

Oh, never mind! Gotta get the blackeye peas soaking for tomorrow!!

Pics of finished product

Ok, I know I am about 4 days late with this, but you know how things go. First off I didnt have a few items that were needed for this receipe so I improvised. I did not have any Andouille sausage so I used Smoked Sausage and I did not have any Long Grain Wild Rice so I used plain ol white rice. With that being said, it turned out really good!! Great receipe from BigMista!! Next time I will have the above 2 items !!

Food001.jpg

No sweat Mike, i just made that last night and used the exact same thing...
Andouille is hard to come by around here and i like the white rice better!!
Good eat's bro!!:biggrin:

Back