NY State Championship - Grillkings

BBQchef33

Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Batch Image
Reaction score
Well

3 days to go. First St. Championship of the season. Am i psyched?

nope. :? :?

dunno why.. jsut aint into it yet.. havent done a thing to prep and all the stuff is still put away from the winter. Started makign a list,a nd sharon asked what the list on the fridge is for... Says it looks like Im planning a party. Lighting, music cd's, new stereo, tents, nothing referencing a competition..... all my planning so far is towards the party.. :? Go figure.

Got all my recipes in my head.. meat is covered. Trailer is in front of the house. Although i took off this week. Boss has not left me alone. Worked long hours both days. Think life is taking its toll and cant get into the spirit.. any words of wisdom? Guess im just in a wingin it mode.

Joined both the open and the main event... open is wings, pork chops and sauce. anyone got a good pork chop idea? i was thinkin carribean jerk marinade, BBQ over apple and cover with mango/red onion chutney.

I think you should just throw the pork chops to the dogs. I hate pork chops!

How bout some sort of take off on the dragon and phoneix chinese food routine. Except using pork chops and long island clams. You can get them right in the park fresh out of the great south bay.

Got all my recipes in my head.. meat is covered. Trailer is in front of the house. Although i took off this week. Boss has not left me alone. Worked long hours both days. Think life is taking its toll and cant get into the spirit.. any words of wisdom? Guess im just in a wingin it mode.
It is not like ya have not done this before :lol:
"Wing it" and go for the fun value!

You should be glad Rob is not judging Chops :wink:
I would do any pork flavor you are happy with--
I would consider a bit of spice in the meat and then counter it with:
Presentation with Apple Slices (dipped in citrus to preserve color), or Pineapple slices, or Cherries (sliced, diced, or whole).
All of those flavors go well with pork.
Some "greenery" for color contrast.

Just thoughts!

Have fun and do well.
And pics--we love pics--but you know that :lol: :lol:

TIM

I like my pork chops fried........so I ain't no damn help!!

Go get 'em Poo........here's to a successful Brethren weekend.........

any words of wisdom?
From these guys, are you serious!!

Maybe you're not feeling the jitters because there's no reason for you too. Get it packed up, go do that voo-do that you do so well and take names later. Best of luck Boss!!

Words of wisdom?

Yeah, get off your ass and start sorting and packing.

At least, this weekend, your not driving to Asbury Park!!

Hup, hup -- up and at 'em!! Beware of the fuzzy bottles of apple juice! :D

We know you've got it covered, Phil. Although a list always helps prevent those "Oh crap! I forgot..." moments!

Sometimes you've got to stop answering the phones and emails and just get out of the work mode so you can focus on vacation or the contest. When I was working the crap used to drive me nuts.

Smoked German (Kassler Rippchen) pork chop is my favorite. Get some about 2" thick and slow smoke them 'till they are so tender that you don't need a fork (may half to wrap about 3/4 of the way through the cook) Serve with Saurkraut or Red Cabage........woot, gotta go start some fried potatoes, I'm getting hungry.

Pork chops I hope they are thick, about 1 1/2 to 2". If so you with a knife you cut a pocket in them almost to the bone. Fill the pocket with a blue chesse and bread stuffing and grill. Not a bad Idea to brine them first.

Good luck, do us proud!

It has been a year already? I'll check turn in times so I know when/not to call :wink:

Greg, safe trip.

Best of luck to all of you. Life's a party, so make this a good one :D

I know what you mean Poo!

I have and am still out of town this week. It just doesn't seem to have stuck that we have a contest this weekend. I think because Belly2 and Kick are getting everything together this week. i will be home Thursday evening and we will start loading things. It will sink in then I'm sure!

well... i at least started.

I put 2 chairs in the trailer.
I got the butts.
I bought 100 tee shirts... maybe sell some to make up the entry fee. :)
I moved the bikes out of the way in the garage so I can get to the stuff.

Now all i have to do its figure out what I am cookin.

Now all i have to do its figure out what I am cookin.
Brisket, butts, ribs & chicken perhaps?

Back