MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-10-2009, 10:02 PM   #3136
Norcoredneck
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weiser View Post
WTF is this?
Can't really call it a UDS, nor can you call it
a BDS Clone.
I'm open to all suggestions.

Weiser
I experiment a bit too.
Everybody likes a good experiment
Some work, some don't, some admit it, some won't

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-10-2009, 10:09 PM   #3137
LT72884
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcoredneck View Post
Everybody likes a good experiment
wow an f-50 made of wood. Dang. My friend owned a lambo and Ferrari shop. It sucked for him because he had to buy every car that rolled onto the lot for insurance reasons.

Old 05-11-2009, 04:59 AM   #3138
Phubar
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTank70 View Post
Well My UDS is finally done!

Finished it yesterday.

I Had to wait 2 weeks after getting the barrel to burn it due to Fire danger being class 4 or 5 for those 2 weeks. (just my luck)
Once I got it burned out things went a little better but man barrel cleaning/brushing is tough, hard work.

I used a vent cap on the exhaust and an old metal drawer knob on the lid. I use the knob to pop the lid loose and then grab the lid by the exhaust and the cap allows the lid to hang nicely on the side of the drum.

Other build notes include two ¾” intakes with brass nipples/caps. One 1” intake with 18” riser and ball valve. Stainless steel bolts for the grate to sit upon with chrome nuts on the outside. Painted with the standard flat black hi-temp grill paint.

I oiled her up with pam and put the heat to her. She is seasoning nicely. It was windy yesterday but I caught the temps on the way up and she did good in the 240* to 255* range for about 3 hours steady. Then I opened up all the vents to see what she could do and it seemed to level out and hover right around 300*. All in all she ran for about 5 hours. When I shut her down she was stone cold in less than an hour.

Can’t wait to cook on it! It’s chicken thighs, drums and a fatty for mothers day!!! It’s gonna be rainy and windy here. (again, just my luck)

I am posting another thread in a little bit with a few questions on the cook. Swing by there and lend a brother a hand with his first smoke ever. I will be posting that one after I do a few things for mother JTank.

Thanks to everyone here for the “Bible” and all the Ideas in it. Special mention to Barbarian for help on my Charcoal Basket. And to h20loo for The advice on going up a size for an intake with a riser.

Heres the pics to prove it really happened!!

Congrats Tank!
Really looks good!
Hope it works as well as it looks good....probably is!
Hopefully I have both of my drums ready by beginnig next month.
I have that date set because it's my birthday then.
Wanna have a big food pron party on!
Here are some pics of yesterday were we cut the barrels open.

Herbert

Last edited by Phubar; 11-01-2009 at 01:56 PM..
Phubar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-11-2009, 04:16 PM   #3139
ytsejam
Full Fledged Farker

so i am planning on firing up my uds for the first real cook. last week i fired it up, and just played with the air, and got a fill for things, then threw a couple fatties/chicken wings on for a few hours.
Now, I got 2 butts going on, gonna make my famous, award winning tamales .

Until now, i always used my ecb, and have made some good stuff. I know the characteristics of that thing like the back of my hand, on account of using it for 10 years now. since this is my first big thing on the usd, im a little apprehensive/excited.

I've always been a mop every hour kind of guy. but i think i am gonna skip this on account of the temp spike when i lifted the lid on the uds. Also, i am gonna try to wrap in butcher paper instead of foil, on account of i am almost out of foil, but have mucho paper on hand, and in this economy, don't want to spend any money.

At any rate, this is just my presmoke ramblings. I plan on taking bunch of notes and pics. so stay tuned
ytsejam is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-11-2009, 04:32 PM   #3140
N8man
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ytsejam View Post
so i am planning on firing up my uds for the first real cook. last week i fired it up, and just played with the air, and got a fill for things, then threw a couple fatties/chicken wings on for a few hours.
Now, I got 2 butts going on, gonna make my famous, award winning tamales .

Until now, i always used my ecb, and have made some good stuff. I know the characteristics of that thing like the back of my hand, on account of using it for 10 years now. since this is my first big thing on the usd, im a little apprehensive/excited.

I've always been a mop every hour kind of guy. but i think i am gonna skip this on account of the temp spike when i lifted the lid on the uds. Also, i am gonna try to wrap in butcher paper instead of foil, on account of i am almost out of foil, but have mucho paper on hand, and in this economy, don't want to spend any money.

At any rate, this is just my presmoke ramblings. I plan on taking bunch of notes and pics. so stay tuned
From time to time I mop my Pork Butts during Smoke Sessions on my DrumPit, you just have to plan for it, shut down your air intakes 5 minutes before mop time, lift that lid and get in there and out as quick as you can.
Leave air intakes shut down for another 5 minutes then open it back up to where you had it before and the temp spikes will be almost nonexistent.

How I Fire Up That Ugly DrumPit Smoker!!!!
N8man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-11-2009, 04:54 PM   #3141
ytsejam
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8man View Post
From time to time I mop my Pork Butts during Smoke Sessions on my DrumPit, you just have to plan for it, shut down your air intakes 5 minutes before mop time, lift that lid and get in there and out as quick as you can.
Leave air intakes shut down for another 5 minutes then open it back up to where you had it before and the temp spikes will be almost nonexistent.
maybe i will try that, we will see how things go. I have come to grips with things, if i don't get to mop it.
I have been planning on going fat cap down too, to help insulate from the heat. do you flip your meat any. I wasn't planning on it, due to opening the lid and the temp rising, but in the back of my mind i think maybe i should.
ytsejam is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-11-2009, 05:05 PM   #3142
dbeast420
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ytsejam View Post
maybe i will try that, we will see how things go. I have come to grips with things, if i don't get to mop it.
I have been planning on going fat cap down too, to help insulate from the heat. do you flip your meat any. I wasn't planning on it, due to opening the lid and the temp rising, but in the back of my mind i think maybe i should.

The last ones I did ran for the whole time cap down with no adverse affects

It's always darkest before the dawn.
So,if you're going to steal your neighbors smoker,that's the time to do it [URL="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v614/dbeast420/CHAD.jpg"]
[/URL]
dbeast420 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-11-2009, 05:20 PM   #3143
sbramm
is one Smokin' Farker

i ran my newest drum this weekend and the temp just kept climbing on the break in cook. 2 holes with 3/4" nipples and one 1". used the magnet cover mod. have a weber grill lid for the top. used about 20 KF comp briquets for the starter and never got it below 270. every time i opened the lid it just kept climbing.... ribs turned out dry but tasty.

just bought a propane weed burner and gave it a shot at the drum and it was great. coals fired right up and hit 180F and was easy to control to 230F. then closed the intakes and the outlet and it was dead in about 30 minutes.

will use n8's closing the intakes plan going forward. just seems that the drums get some O2 and they take off.
sbramm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-11-2009, 05:36 PM   #3144
LT72884
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbramm View Post
i ran my newest drum this weekend and the temp just kept climbing on the break in cook. 2 holes with 3/4" nipples and one 1". used the magnet cover mod. have a weber grill lid for the top. used about 20 KF comp briquets for the starter and never got it below 270. every time i opened the lid it just kept climbing.... ribs turned out dry but tasty.

just bought a propane weed burner and gave it a shot at the drum and it was great. coals fired right up and hit 180F and was easy to control to 230F. then closed the intakes and the outlet and it was dead in about 30 minutes.

will use n8's closing the intakes plan going forward. just seems that the drums get some O2 and they take off.
SoEzzy told me a trick bout this. 1 chimney is = to like 300*F
a half chimney is like 250*F
and a 1/4 chimney is around 200-225*

i bet if you find him he will tell you.

Old 05-11-2009, 05:54 PM   #3145
sbramm
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT72884 View Post
SoEzzy told me a trick bout this. 1 chimney is = to like 300*F
a half chimney is like 250*F
and a 1/4 chimney is around 200-225*

i bet if you find him he will tell you.

thanks lt.... i couldn't remember where i saw that.... very useful. i thought i had about 1/4 chimney but obviously didn't have appropriate intake control.

so my error on temp control was.......

........ a great excuse to buy a 3000*F torch that sounds like a jet!!!!!

cheap at harbor freight.....
sbramm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-11-2009, 05:59 PM   #3146
LT72884
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbramm View Post
thanks lt.... i couldn't remember where i saw that.... very useful. i thought i had about 1/4 chimney but obviously didn't have appropriate intake control.

so my error on temp control was.......

........ a great excuse to buy a 3000*F torch that sounds like a jet!!!!!

cheap at harbor freight.....
yeah im gonna have fun using the chimney with me first uds build. I dont want to buy a torch. LOL mainly because i need money for school

Old 05-11-2009, 08:13 PM   #3147
JTank70
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weiser View Post
Tanker, I'm confused too.
My Wife blames it on the Alzheimer's but I've had this problem all of my life.
Ya, it is kind of a box built around some kind of Smoker.
I don't mean to be elusive here but that is all I can really divulge till it is done later this week.
Photos of the build will be posted.

Weiser
Well, I'll be waiting,to see this one for sure. Hope you are taking plenty of pics. I am really wondering now.

Last edited by JTank70; 05-11-2009 at 08:14 PM.. Reason: spelling
JTank70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-11-2009, 08:21 PM   #3148
JTank70
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phubar View Post
Congrats Tank!
Really looks good!
Hope it works as well as it looks good....probably is!
Hopefully I have both of my drums ready by beginnig next month.
I have that date set because it's my birthday then.
Wanna have a big food pron party on!
Here are some pics of yesterday were we cut the barrels open.

Herbert

Herbert thanks. I cooked on it yesterday for mothers day. http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=61462

I cant wait to see your drums. They are nice and clean on the inside. I am gonna find one or two of those.
Wire brushing was a real pain. Figuratively and literally.

Take lots of pics. Especially when the party is on

JT

Old 05-11-2009, 10:24 PM   #3149
Weiser
is one Smokin' Farker

Tomorrow is photo day Tank, just after I get this new lid to fit.
What a PIA! I ground on the thing for at least four hours today.
Would have been easier to have started from scratch.
Take your lid with you!

Anyway, have folks coming in from Boston and Houston on Thursday to eat Brisket, Beans and drink Beer.
I hope this thing is ready in time.

Weiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTank70 View Post
Well, I'll be waiting,to see this one for sure. Hope you are taking plenty of pics. I am really wondering now.
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR]
Weiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-12-2009, 12:04 AM   #3150
ftwbbq
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

I think this is an epic thread!...it took me 3 days to get through, I will be starting my 1st UDS this weekend . Ill post up some pics when its all air tight and runnin' right.
ftwbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker