MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 08-23-2011, 12:50 PM   #1
Todd Ras
On the road to being a farker

Default Spicewine or FEC 100

I'm debating between the two to purchase for next years BBQ comp season. We don't do a ton of them 5-6 a year tops, but would like to either get a medium custom Spicewine or a FEC 100 to cut down on what we carry to comps. I cook at home as well, so I would want something that's easy and good for both.

Our team cooks on 4 WSM now, but we wanted to get something a little larger. I know the Spicewine folks post on here (and as a Mizzou fan..that's a plus and i'm not too far from Columbia) but wanted to see if anyone had any opinions on either model good or bad.

A few questions comp related:

1) With power sources always an issue at comps and we don't currently have a generator, if we got the FEC 100 should we purchace a battery back up. I think Durcell makes a model.

2) For the Spicewine guys....is a Medium model enough room for comp cooking or do we need a larger model for the brisket, butts and ribs?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 08-23-2011, 01:03 PM   #2
AZScott
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Ras View Post
A few questions comp related:

1) With power sources always an issue at comps and we don't currently have a generator, if we got the FEC 100 should we purchace a battery back up. I think Durcell makes a model.
I use a marine battery from Walmart with a Zantrax inverter to power the FEC as well as a couple of lights. I've never had an issue with it. One time I had to scramble since the battery didn't have a chance to charge much before leaving home. I did some serious scrambling when I found out the gang box near me wasn't working when the battery died. Regardless, I wouldn't seriously consider another cooker.
AZScott is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-23-2011, 01:31 PM   #3
Slamdunkpro
Babbling Farker

Spend the extra few hundred and get a super medium Spice.
Spicewine Tandem - "The Beast"
, 2 Vulcan V33's & 1 V9
Brinkman modified upright, Weber Kettle(s); Meadow Creek Pr-24, Super Stealth Mode black & Night Vision Red Thermopens
-----------------
MABA - (Mid Atlantic BBQ Association) President
KCBS Certified Judge - #23289
Slamdunkpro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-23-2011, 02:17 PM   #4
MoKanMeathead
is One Chatty Farker

Todd, I would get a FEC 100. Both are good smokers but I fell that the FEC would provide a more consistent temp for a longer period of time. You guys have a lot of team members so the FEC would allow for more partying (or sleeping)!!
MoKanMeathead is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 08-23-2011, 02:31 PM   #5
Podge
is One Chatty Farker

Hell, buy a Jambo, seems everyone and their mother is getting one.
Podge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-23-2011, 02:33 PM   #6
Todd Ras
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoKanMeathead View Post
Todd, I would get a FEC 100. Both are good smokers but I fell that the FEC would provide a more consistent temp for a longer period of time. You guys have a lot of team members so the FEC would allow for more partying (or sleeping)!!
You know us to well!

Old 08-23-2011, 03:22 PM   #7
Sawdustguy
Quintessential Chatty Farker

A Spicewine with a BBQ Guru can run for well more than a day without tending. This cooker will last forever.

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-23-2011, 03:24 PM   #8
MilitantSquatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustguy View Post
A Spicewine with a BBQ Guru can run for well more than a day without tending. This cooker will last forever.
I agree.
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-23-2011, 03:49 PM   #9
ique
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustguy View Post
What is the max temp you can bring a spicewine up to?
ique is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-23-2011, 04:14 PM   #10
Butcher BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

I will place a vote on getting FEC 100's. We do several comps a year and we do run with a battery backup. If your going to do just a few a year you can get set up and running pretty quick.

"Trust Your Butcher"
Often Imitated, but never Duplicated
Butcher BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-23-2011, 04:25 PM   #11
JiveTurkey
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : JT

I've never cooked on a pellet unit but I do have a Med Spicewine and I love it. It holds steady temps all night and if I want to use water I can, if not I don't, I like having the choice. Charcoal is cheap and plentiful so it's cheap to run. It can burn sticks too if you want to get adventurous. And of course it will last forfreakinever.

It's more than enough space for comps but be warned people will stop you a lot to ask about it. They draw lots of attention.
JiveTurkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-23-2011, 04:43 PM   #12
Capn Kev
is one Smokin' Farker

I will add another vote for an FEC-100. Not sure what the Spicewine weighs in at, but the FEC-100 rolls off my trailer (via a ramp) fairly easily and I can use it at home when I'm not cooking comps. It has locking caster wheels that makes it relatively easy to move (I'm a big guy). Plus, I love the sheer ease of use. I like my sleep.
FEC-100, REC TEC Grill, WSM 22.5", UDS, KCBS CBJ #54829
[/SIZE]
Capn Kev is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-23-2011, 05:02 PM   #13
Slamdunkpro
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ique View Post
What is the max temp you can bring a spicewine up to?
I've had mine up to 425
Spicewine Tandem - "The Beast"
, 2 Vulcan V33's & 1 V9
Brinkman modified upright, Weber Kettle(s); Meadow Creek Pr-24, Super Stealth Mode black & Night Vision Red Thermopens
-----------------
MABA - (Mid Atlantic BBQ Association) President
KCBS Certified Judge - #23289
Slamdunkpro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-23-2011, 06:04 PM   #14
Solidkick
somebody shut me the fark up.

A Spicewine, with a charcoal basket, will go all night just fine. now, me being the ever cautious Diddler,who watches his pit temp like a hawk, still gets up to check it, but I wouldn't need to. They are heavy, so i hope you are young! Just to set the record straight, my Spicewine has 4 GCs and like 6 or 7 RGCs. And we cook an average of 6 contests a year.

FECs are good cookers as well, so you really won't go wrong with either. good luck with your decision!

------------------------------------------------
Belly Brothers BBQ Team

"Sister Flame" Spicewine Trailer Smoker,Modified Bandera, Uni-Flame Chicken Cooker with a Spicewine Thermometer mod,Kingsford Barrel cooker and a super fast RED thermapen

KC always said "fat cap up!!
Solidkick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-23-2011, 06:49 PM   #15
ique
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamdunkpro View Post
I've had mine up to 425
OK, someone was telling me recently that the Spice was difficult to get above typical bbq temps.
ique is offline   Reply With Quote