Smoking Ribs Question

dmc

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
Hi,

How do you position or fit full slabs of spares in a Bandera?

I've been cutting full slabs in half and smoking three half slabs per shelf, but would like to smoke full slabs?

Anyone use rib racks for full slabs in a Bandera with success ?

Dwayne

I trim off the tips, breast plate, and skirts and get three full slabs onto one shelf. Trimmings go on another shelf.

For the really big slabs, I'll just do them diagonal laying flat. I bought 6 extra cooking grates.

But if I'm doing lots, I put 2 rib racks on each shelf, laying 3 or 4 racks of ribs in each rack. I use 2 rib rack per shelf cuz the ones I have (Webers) are too short and the ends kinda flop over. Makes it a bitch to wrap in foil if not flat.

Thanks for the info. Got about 18+ racks to do for a family function, and trying to figure out how to get more ribs in without choking off the air (smoke) flow in the smoke chamber. Was figuring on doing two rib smoke sessions the day before the event. Take em out, foil and refrigerate overnight. Warm em up in the oven the next morning, put in coolers to maintain heat while traveling to the event and then serve in chafing dishes. Got 8 butts to also do for the same event. Two full days of smoking. Hope it don't rain!

Sound like a plan?

Dwayne

Sounds like a good plan.

Thats alot of pork :)

Let us know how it turns out Dwayne!

I roll them up, curve side out, and put a skewer through it to hold it together. Then put them on the grate bone tips down. You can get two to three racks of ribs on each level in an old NB Bandera. I think I learned this right here on this forum.

Back