MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-29-2009, 03:33 PM   #1
jestridge
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Carnitas

I need a good receipe for pork carnitas going to try it this weekend for taco. Need some suggestions
jestridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2009, 04:41 PM   #2
bbqfans
Full Fledged Farker

Default jestridge :)-

Simple, Slo smoke a Butt and shred it- carnitas means little bits or shreds-
once you use this for your mexican foods you'll never go back to boiling the meat(unless you're Jonsing and are cabin bound)
bbqfans is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2009, 04:58 PM   #3
paydabill
is one Smokin' Farker

For somereason I thought they were deep fried.

I found a simple recipe - pork shoulder cut into 2" cubes, chili powder deep fry in 300 oil until crispy outside (i think it was only 5 minutes). take out and shred.
2 pellet cookers latter!
CBJ - love judging
KCBS - member for 4 years
MOFO Chapter

Super fast - BLUE Thermopen
paydabill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2009, 05:24 PM   #4
coyotero
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Carnitas

Carnitas is nothing like above.

You need a big kettle, and oil (penaut oil, or better rendered lard) you put it outside on a burner, bring the temperature up to 300 degrees.
The meat is traditionally big chunks (later you will cut in to small pieces hence the diminutive name carnitas) and you fry them for about 3 hrs. (nobody talks about internal temps) and they will be ready when they start falling of the bone.
In Mexico they use the entire pig.
But in USA is more accomodating to use the shoulder.
Half way thru the cook you can add a little milk and sliced oranges.

Hope this helps

JV
coyotero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2009, 05:30 PM   #5
Steve_M9
Full Fledged Farker

I take a smoked pork butt, shred and put in corn tortillas with Pico de Gallo. Sliced avocado is always a good addition. My thoughts were the fried version spoken of above is more like an empanada. A good appetizer
Steve_M9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2009, 05:32 PM   #6
Jack2u2
is one Smokin' Farker

There are no quantities listed here – things are not that complicated in carnita land…
  • Pork butt, pork shoulder or pork neck, cut into 2 inch cubes
  • Lard
  • Salt and pepper
  • A hint oregano, salt and pepper
Easy steps to Pork Carnitas...
  1. Cube the pork into cubes and rub generously with salt, freshly ground black pepper and dried oregano. If you have time (and forethought) put the seasoned meat into the fridge overnight to rest – or just proceed immediately.
  2. Put the pork into a pot, and add enough melted lard to cover the pork cubes completely.
  3. Raise the heat to a low-medium-low and let it simmer. Don’t get too worried about the temperature, but what you want is a gentle and occasional bubbling, not even as high as a simmer.
  4. Let the pork cook for 2-4 hours. It is done when it is almost falling apart, but still retains its shape.
  5. Take the pork out of the lard, and cut it into ½ inch cubes (you can just use a fork to "cut" it, as it will be very tender)
  6. In a skillet, heat a few Tbls of lard over medium, and add the smaller pork cubs in batches, cooking them just long enough to brown all the outsides well.
  7. At best, a carnita has a browned and crusty exterior and a meltingly tender interior – this technique delivers.
  8. Drain the carnita chunks well and serve with warm corn tortillas with all the usual garnishes, salsas and condiments, or in any other Mexican dish.
That's all there is to it – you're very own south of the border carnita confit. Beware though, make these for friends and family juts once and know you'll face regular begging and pleading for another round!

Old 01-29-2009, 05:55 PM   #7
JimT
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks, Jack.

I can handle that!!!

JimT

Old 01-29-2009, 06:00 PM   #8
ams14
On the road to being a farker

Double fried... soudns healthy!

That sounds authentic to me from watching it being cooked at local restuarants, it is delicious too.

Old 01-29-2009, 06:02 PM   #9
Beerwolf
Take a breath!

This one works VERY well for me.. simple and straightforward... you can finish the chunks on the kettle if ya want.. Oh ya.. some of the "home boys" love them too

1 can coke
1 can carbonated orange drink
1 large onion peeled and thinly sliced
5 lb pork shoulder roast cut in to roughly 2" cubes
pinch of whole oregano
garlic
1 jalapeno pepper
Salt

lay onions, garlic and Jalapeno in bottom of crockpot
layer prok chunks, putting in a good generous sprinkling of salt at each layer
Once crock is filled, pour coke over the whole thing and cook overnight on low, the next morning pour Orange soda in and let it go a few more hours.

take the chunks out and set them on a baking dish with a paper towel on the bottom, bake @ 225 or so for about an hour, until they get a little "crusty"

Everyone loves these things and they arent cooked in Manteka. I let teh liquid in the crock cool off and skimmed the fat off. I am throwing in a ham hock and some pinto beans and what ever else I feel like throwing int. I think it will turn out well.