MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-27-2014, 10:08 AM   #1
smokin30-06
Full Fledged Farker

Default Is the ET-733 what I need?

On Friday, I placed an order for an ET-733. Over the weekend, I did lots of reading and the multitude of options has me second-guessing...
I'd like to see what you guys have to say.
In using my HB Legacy for general grilling and moving into smoking, I would like to get a better idea of the grate level temps I am running. I am also kicking around the idea of getting another smoker that I can tend less frequently. So an automatic temp control device might make more sense, even if I initially only use it for the probe...
Since I like gadgets anyway, I thought Wifi would be a cool addition so I could have more display devices. However, the ones that I see that support wifi are pretty expensive and still have some detractors in what I have read.

I have just recently seen that there are options based on Arduino. I wouldn't mind doing the work, if the end result is easy to use and convenient.

So, if I am going to spend $70 on an ET-733, should I be looking at any other products for the same price or a few more bucks?
TIA,
John

Old 01-27-2014, 10:48 PM   #2
smokin30-06
Full Fledged Farker

I know, I know. Boring topic and no pic pron. I take the lack of response as an indication I am on the right path.
Other products I saw were stuff like the iGrill, the wGrill, CyberQ.

Does anyone have any experience with the Arduino stuff?

Old 01-27-2014, 11:00 PM   #3
Fwismoker
somebody shut me the fark up.

Don't get any buyers remorse over getting the Maverick...it's a great product. I got auto controllers and they're collecting dust.

Consider building a UDS or something that takes little tending and turn out great Q.

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2014, 11:02 PM   #4
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

What about this one on Amazon? It has really good reviews/ratings and is only $59

http://www.amazon.com/Ivation-Range-...averick+et+733

Old 01-27-2014, 11:05 PM   #5
Fwismoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqgeekess View Post
What about this one on Amazon? It has really good reviews/ratings and is only $59

http://www.amazon.com/Ivation-Range-...averick+et+733
It's gotta be a Maverick in a different wrapper like the Remington.

Old 01-27-2014, 11:05 PM   #6
smokin30-06
Full Fledged Farker

Fwismoker, thanks for the reassurance.

bbqgeekess, that is a rebrand of the ET732. Btw, where is our picture of your grill collection from your thread?! Just because I didn't post in there doesn't mean I didn't see it and forgot. You are just going to have to bite the bullet...

Old 01-27-2014, 11:12 PM   #7
smokin30-06
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwismoker View Post
Consider building a UDS or something that takes little tending and turn out great Q.
I am not sure I should say this in mixed company but I don't think I can handle looking at a 55 gallon drum on my back patio every day.

I would consider messing with the Arduino probe/controller setups if I could do a little soldering/assembly and end up with a useful tool. I saw this linked in a Brethren thread the other day...

Old 01-27-2014, 11:17 PM   #8
AaronPo
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin30-06 View Post
I am not sure I should say this in mixed company but I don't think I can handle looking at a 55 gallon drum on my back patio every day.

I would consider messing with the Arduino probe/controller setups if I could do a little soldering/assembly and end up with a useful tool. I saw this linked in a Brethren thread the other day...
Be man then and put it on your front porch like me

Also you wont regret the ET733, it's a great product!

Old 01-27-2014, 11:28 PM   #9
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Fwismoker, thanks for the reassurance.

bbqgeekess, that is a rebrand of the ET732. Btw, where is our picture of your grill collection from your thread?! Just because I didn't post in there doesn't mean I didn't see it and forgot. You are just going to have to bite the bullet...
I am trying to understand why the rebranded ET732 has like 4.5 stars rating on Amazon compared the actual ET732 only having 4 stars. The 733 has 4 stars as well.

Old 01-28-2014, 07:40 AM   #10
jamus34
Full Fledged Farker

I received the ET=733 as a xmas gift, haven't had a chance to use it yet.

I could care less about the meat probe portion of the Maverick as I prefer the Bludawg method of checking for meat doneness on the BBQ cuts (Poultry obviously gets the thermo treatment)

However I know my WSM dome gauge is not an accurate measure of grate temps. I really like the Thermoworks TW-8060 but at this point can't justify the cost.

We'll see though...if my Maverick doesn't do it for me then I'll get the 8060. I'm not really keen on overnight cooks as it is so having the temp alarm isn't a huge thing for me.

22.5 OTS, 22.5 WSM, SJG (and soon to have the tamale pot mini-WSM conversion built)

Stealth gray Thermopen

jamus34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2014, 09:04 AM   #11
Fwismoker

Quote:

Ugly doesn't have to be ugly...lol

Made this one for a buddy and believe me he wouldn't have it on his deck if he thought it was ugly.

Now if i was forced to do ugly and a great cooker or good lucking and an average cooker then i'd take the great cooker hands down.

Tags
atc, Hasty Bake, Maverick, probe