• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

best store bought rub

sternberg

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I come from Denmark and have 2 time purchased rub in usa
but'd like to get some recommendations from the user about what the love
I myself have been quite fond of Dr. bbq's bonesmogers rub

sternberg

Several makers are ALWAYS in my pantry. Simply Marvelous (Sweet and Spicy, Season All and Sweet Seduction are my absolute faves), Oakridge BBQ (Habanero Death Dust and Black Ops RULE!) and The Rub Company (Santa Maria Style and Original BBQ are da bomb!). Then there's BigButzBBQ Cow Pow and Pig Pollen, excellent stuff. Plowboy's Yardbird and "The Jerk" get rotation too. Those are just a few major ones I like.

One of my new favorites is made by a local team in Durham, NC called Bull City BBQ, their poultry rub is awesome! I think you can find it online.

My absolute favorites are....

Simply Marvelous, OakRidge BBQ, and Butch's Smack Your Lips.

I also apply one rub and then layer a second rub to enhance the flavor profiles.

I'm a little spoiled because I live in the city that is the home to Penzey's spices (and they have a factory store about a mile from the house) but Penzey's BBQ of the Americas is my go-to rub. They have another one called 33rd and Galena which is very good and pretty peppery/hot.

You can get it online if there aren't retail stores by you. http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/p-penzeysbbq_americas.html

Plowboy's, anything Dizzy Pig makes, as well as the Simply marvelous line. Tatonka dust is also great on beef IMO. I also like the John Henry pecan rub on ribs.

Last edited:
I don't buy store bought but you can't go wrong with Todds Dirt or Plowboys for sure!

I find myself more and more reaching for the Chupacabra Rub from 2 gringo's. I use it on almost everything.

lantana of texas, harleys, REO, plowboys yardbird, plowboys bovine bold, williams rib tickler, fiesta hamburger deluxe, pap and elmers fajita ultimo.

I've always made my own variations on what I've found online. Some have been fabulous. Like many others Plowboys just got added to my pantry. My first rack o ribs with it is awaiting my smoker today. It's a mighty tasty rub.

Try making your own too. Then you can taste it as you go and see what you like.

Plowboys: Yardbird, Bovine Bold and Fin & Feather
Simply Marvelous: Sweet and Spicy, Sweet Seduction, Cherry and Peppered Cow
Dixie Meat Rubs: Pork and Beef
Big Poppa Smokers: Money and Little Louie's Garlic Salt w/ Black Pepper
Ted and Barney's
Tatonka Dust
3 Eyez
Smokin' Guns: Hot and Sweet Heat
Mad Hunky: Hot Whang and Hot A$$ Whang

These are all regulars here.

I am a fan of dizzy pig. after tasting all their flavors, I can find something for everything.. even if I have to mix a couple together to get a different profile.

If the OP is talking store-bought as in buying it at a local grocery, I'm sorry but that aint happnin. You need to go online.

Another vote for:
Dizzy Pig's: Dizzy Dust for pork; Cow Lick for beef; Raging River for fish but we love it on veggies; and Jamican Firewalk for wings.

3Eyz: PORK. 'nuf said.

Simply Marvelous: Cherry rub for ribs

Plowboys: Bovine Bold for beef; Yardbird for chicken.

Back