MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-24-2009, 06:24 PM   #1
RazBarlow
Knows what a fatty is.

Default BBQ'ing in Texas ?

I/We are thinking about moving from Iowa to Texas . Just wondering if there would be any friends/competitions to be had around the Cleburne (Dallas /Fort Worth) area ?
I would like to meet new friends, have good eats , maybe a little competition in the area.
Thanks,
Raz
RazBarlow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-2009, 06:26 PM   #2
JimT
Full Fledged Farker

Nope.
Nobody Q's in Texas.

JimT

Old 03-24-2009, 06:39 PM   #3
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

Plenty of competition around that area!

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-2009, 06:42 PM   #4
RazBarlow
Knows what a fatty is.

Would a UDS be to primitive to use in the Lonestar state ? Jorge, you familiar with the cleburne area ?

Old 03-24-2009, 06:51 PM   #5
Crüe-B-Cüe
is One Chatty Farker

One of my major suppliers is in Cleburne. That is about all the knowledge I have about the area. The Ft. Worth area is the car lift capital of the world.

Old 03-24-2009, 06:57 PM   #6
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

There's the...no, that's and invitational, then there's the.... oh, yeah, that's an invitation too....Oh Oh Yes the ..... nope... no that's a Invitational too

For all new texas bbq lovers... start NOT competing and go to the 1967 LBJ BBQ reinactment this May 2 out at the LBJ Ranch. You won't forget this.

Maybe the Taylor International - That's a 32 year old (its actually older by Texas Standards)
Its August 14th I think. BUT WAY too hot man! That compettion took some years off of my life.

Actually, your hopeless if you don't go to the June 11-14 Lockhart (We have talked about Lockhart here) Roundup. That's been going on 37 years. How long is the average Yankee BBQ Cookoff again?

LOL

Old 03-24-2009, 06:58 PM   #7
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

UDS is NOTHING compared to the old Oilworker's rigs made from pipe that held in lord knows what.

Oh and theres the 80 or 81st annual North Texas State Fair. They've had a BBQ con test going for only about 60 of those years... My Grandfather competed in that in 1953. BBQ was just under pies and cakes in prestige in those days though.

Old 03-24-2009, 06:59 PM   #8
Kosmo's Q
is one Smokin' Farker

You might want to rethink your move to TX. Now here in OK there are plenty of us that would love to have a new Drinking buddy. LOL
Kosmo's Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-2009, 07:20 PM   #9
Steve_M9
Full Fledged Farker

I live in South Fort Worth...about 20 Mins north of Cleburne....there are always plenty of competitions in the area from sanctioned to charity. Check out lonestarbarbecue.com and ctbahome.com and look for gulf coast barbecue association. There is a plethera of comps in texas and many close by. By far, the best, and MOST FUN, is the cook-off for camp craig allen at the Bass Pro Shops in Grapevine. A charity event but first class all the way expecting 60 teams this year.
www.campcraigallen.org
Steve_M9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-2009, 07:20 PM   #10
RazBarlow
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crüe-B-Cüe View Post
One of my major suppliers is in Cleburne. That is about all the knowledge I have about the area. The Ft. Worth area is the car lift capital of the world.
Suppliers for what ? And " Car lift capital" as in stealing cars ?
Man, I am really seeing my ignorance now as I leave my car unlocked and the keys in it.

Thanks,
Raz

Old 03-24-2009, 07:32 PM   #11
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazBarlow View Post
Would a UDS be to primitive to use in the Lonestar state ? Jorge, you familiar with the cleburne area ?
You'll fit in just fine. You'll still find a lot of oil drums cut up and horizontal in the back yards of this state. You'll find big towed rigs, WSMs, imported Spicewines from Missouri. You won't have a problem finding someone to talk to about cooking a brisket

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-2009, 08:02 PM   #12
Crüe-B-Cüe
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazBarlow View Post
Suppliers for what ? And " Car lift capital" as in stealing cars ?
Man, I am really seeing my ignorance now as I leave my car unlocked and the keys in it.

Thanks,
Raz
Supplier as in car lifts...

There are many companies that either build these or import these in the area. More of these run through that area than any other place.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:13 PM   #13
Weiser
is one Smokin' Farker

I'll be at the re-enactment on May 2nd. Looking forward to it.
Also will be going to Lockhart Roundup in June.

I haven't found a team to cook with yet, but I'll be there nonetheless.

You mentioned some pretty good events.
One would think that you might know what is going on in Central Texas.

Weiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbefunkoramaque View Post
There's the...no, that's and invitational, then there's the.... oh, yeah, that's an invitation too....Oh Oh Yes the ..... nope... no that's a Invitational too

For all new texas bbq lovers... start NOT competing and go to the 1967 LBJ BBQ reenactment this May 2 out at the LBJ Ranch. You won't forget this.

Maybe the Taylor International - That's a 32 year old (its actually older by Texas Standards)
Its August 14th I think. BUT WAY too hot man! That compettion took some years off of my life.

Actually, your hopeless if you don't go to the June 11-14 Lockhart (We have talked about Lockhart here) Roundup. That's been going on 37 years. How long is the average Yankee BBQ Cookoff again?

LOL
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR]
Weiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-2009, 09:32 PM   #14
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

whats going on in Texas since I left Denton back a while is a whole lots of money has been spent opening places making crappy Brisket. I was in a place in Pearland today.

Smelled great. Called Central Texas BBQ (since 1970)... which is funny because it is in the coastal region. LOL

Anyway walked in for my usual tester order:

Brisket sliced 1 inch thick on the point for one slice, 1/4 inch for the second slice fat still on. Flat side 1 inch thick on the flat side for the first slice and 1/4 inch on the second, followed by a slice RIGHT down the middle of both flat and point with all fat attached and naked. Sounds simple huh?

I hear the sounds of ELECTRIC KNIVES - never a good sound at a Q joint. It was crowded so I assumed I was missing something. It was tough... stretchy (even the thin stuff) and of course, undercooked as the collagen was still in between the fibers and it was dry.

Lesson... if you hear the electric knives going run!!!! Unless its on Clod or something.

DISCLAIMER: electric knives are cool for comps when you have to get things right for appearance.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:47 PM   #15
Weiser
is one Smokin' Farker

Is there such a thing as good Brisket in Pearland?
Maybe out behind someone's trailer.

Knives on a Steel and maybe a sharpened Dough scraper.
No cords required.

Weiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbefunkoramaque View Post
whats going on in Texas since I left Denton back a while is a whole lots of money has been spent opening places making crappy Brisket. I was in a place in Pearland today.

Smelled great. Called Central Texas BBQ (since 1970)... which is funny because it is in the coastal region. LOL

Anyway walked in for my usual tester order:

Brisket sliced 1 inch thick on the point for one slice, 1/4 inch for the second slice fat still on. Flat side 1 inch thick on the flat side for the first slice and 1/4 inch on the second, followed by a slice RIGHT down the middle of both flat and point with all fat attached and naked. Sounds simple huh?

I hear the sounds of ELECTRIC KNIVES - never a good sound at a Q joint. It was crowded so I assumed I was missing something. It was tough... stretchy (even the thin stuff) and of course, undercooked as the collagen was still in between the fibers and it was dry.

Lesson... if you hear the electric knives going run!!!! Unless its on Clod or something.

DISCLAIMER: electric knives are cool for comps when you have to get things right for appearance.
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR]
Weiser is offline   Reply With Quote