KCBS Pork Rule

I'm not a lawyer but I think I could argue that the pork rule has been changed to:

Pork: Pork is defined as Boston Butt, Boston Roast, Picnic and/or Whole Shoulder. After trimming, pork shall be cooked whole /9bone in or bone out), however, once cooked, it may be separated and returned to the cooker at the cook's discretion. It may be turned in chopped, pulled, chunked, sliced or a combination of any of those."

We voted and passed that a while back. Jeff's motion was simply to finalize the rules so there can be no further changes and all appropriate documentation can be published. The fact that it was defeated does not mean the change in pork rule was defeated it just means that we can continue to propose rule changes till the end of the season.
Thanks Steve, I just hope the final rule is easy to decipher, this new stuff just seems to open new questions, to, me, I just want to know if I can separate the money muscle from the butt, and be able to throw the rest of the butt back on the pit to further cook.

I think it may be easier to just take a knife to the smoker, cut and remove the money muscle and leave the rest of the butt on the smoker. Saves time and eliminates the chance of dropping the butt while handling.

On second thought, that may be a little difficult if the butt is foiled.

Ya know.......its a funny thing.

When the proposed rule gets worded simply, then people don't like that the intent of it can be disputed one way or the other.

But then, let someone attempt to tie up all of the loose ends in the wording so tightly that there can be no possibility of anyone twisting it to bend/break the rule, and then that person put it out there as a suggestion, they get told that short and simple is better.

Need proof?
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=166464

Since trimming is allowed prior to cooking, can I trim everything off except the MM and just cook that? It's just a very heavily trimmed butt! :)

On the KCBS website, there are quick notes from the BOD meeting. Looks like two votes for the pork rule were taken and one passed. The Mike Peters rule called for no returning of pork to the smoker once it was parted.

I propose the following motion for consideration:
PORK: Pork is defined as Boston Butt, Boston Roast, Picnic and/or Whole Shoulder, weighing a minimum of five (5) pounds. After trimming, pork shall be cooked whole (bone in or bone out). Once parted into slices, medallions, cutlets, chunks, pulled or shredded portions, those portions may not be returned to the cooker or grill.
Second Mike Budai
Motion Pass
6 yes, Mike B, Randy B, Kim C, Wayne L, Tana S, Mike P
4 No, Steve F, Don H, Dave C, Jeff S

The second vote called for the returning of parted pork be up to the cook.

I enlarged the font of the 5# rule Notice the . in there. By this rule, you can trim off thre whole butt except the Money Muscle.

Sure, if it weighs more than 5 lbs after trimming.
There is no 5 lb. minimum in the new rule, so trimming a pork butt down to just the money muscle, and then cooking that money muscle piece whole, is within the rules.

Just another prime example of why the 5 lb. minimum needs to be reinstated.:thumb:

PORK: Pork is defined as Boston Butt, Boston Roast, Picnic and/or Whole Shoulder, weighing a minimum of five (5) pounds. After trimming, pork shall be cooked whole (bone in or bone out). Once parted into slices, medallions, cutlets, chunks, pulled or shredded portions, those portions may not be returned to the cooker or grill.

PERSONALLY, This is how I would word it...but hell, I just cook.

PORK: Pork is defined as Boston Butt, Boston Roast, Picnic and/or Whole Shoulder, weighing a minimum PRE-TRIMMED Weight of AT LEAST five (5) pounds. After trimming, THE pork BUTT, ROAST, OR SHOULDER shall be cooked IN A whole STATE, WITH ALL MUSCLE GROUPS ATTACHED (bone in or bone out). Once SEPARATED IN ANY WAY FROM A WHOLE STATE, INCUDING into slices, medallions, cutlets, chunks, pulled or shredded portions, NO portion may be returned to the cooker or grill.

Last edited:

PORK: Pork is defined as Boston Butt, Boston Roast, Picnic and/or Whole Shoulder, weighing a minimum PRE-TRIMMED Weight of AT LEAST five (5) pounds. After trimming, THE pork BUTT, ROAST, OR SHOULDER shall be cooked IN A whole STATE, WITH ALL MUSCLE GROUPS ATTACHED (bone in or bone out). Once SEPARATED IN ANY WAY FROM A WHOLE STATE, INCUDING into slices, medallions, cutlets, chunks, pulled or shredded portions, NO portion may be returned to the cooker or grill.

just make it illegal to turn in slices. Just pulled, chunked or chopped pork entries allowed. Besides, I have yet to find a BBQ joint who serves sliced money muscle.

Truth is since there isn't any enforcement, none of this matters. When was the last time you saw a meat inspector with a scale? When was the last time you were spot checked?

just make it illegal to turn in slices. Just pulled, chunked or chopped pork entries allowed. Besides, I have yet to find a BBQ joint who serves sliced money muscle.

"Just pulled, chunked or chopped pork entries allowed." would open up a huge can of worms. We would have judges and reps trying to define a pull that looks sliced or a chunk that looks sliced and then they will have to make a rule for that!

Show me a BBQ joint that serves gloppy sweet sauced Chicken FrankenThighs that we make and that is probably the same joint that serves MM. Why can't they just leave the rule the way it is and it will keep us from having to tote a grill to cook the money muscle on next year! :heh:

Study Hall at TGIFridays:wink::boxing:

"Just pulled, chunked or chopped pork entries allowed." would open up a huge can of worms. We would have judges and reps trying to define a pull that looks sliced or a chunk that looks sliced and then they will have to make a rule for that!

Show me a BBQ joint that serves gloppy sweet sauced Chicken FrankenThighs that we make and that is probably the same joint that serves MM. Why can't they just leave the rule the way it is and it will keep us from having to tote a grill to cook the money muscle on next year! :heh:

That may be the reason my chicken scores suck. I cant stand Sauced chicken I have to force myself to taste it. Just for ****s amd giggles at one contest next year I am going to turn in chicken the way I like it and see what happens.

That may be the reason my chicken scores suck. I cant stand Sauced chicken I have to force myself to taste it. Just for ****s amd giggles at one contest next year I am going to turn in chicken the way I like it and see what happens.

My wife says the same thing to me. She thinks if the judges taste real chicken they may reward it with a good score!

Truth is since there isn't any enforcement, none of this matters. When was the last time you saw a meat inspector with a scale? When was the last time you were spot checked?

Well there is enforcement if the rep or someone sees it and brings it to the rep they can enforce the rule.

I see it as every other law in society. It is against the law to speed but the only way I am going to get a ticket is if a police office (in our case rep) or another citizen (in our case another team) watches me speed and reports it.

Rules are made for the general society to follow. You will always have someone that will break that rule and if we police ourselves than that pool will be reduced.

I definitely think your wording is better when I glanced through it but it seems the gist of it as that you can't return the pork back to the cooker once separated. If that is true why don't we leave the same pork rule on the books and leave it at that since it achieves the same thing?

Well there is enforcement if the rep or someone sees it and brings it to the rep they can enforce the rule.

I see it as every other law in society. It is against the law to speed but the only way I am going to get a ticket is if a police office (in our case rep) or another citizen (in our case another team) watches me speed and reports it.

Rules are made for the general society to follow. You will always have someone that will break that rule and if we police ourselves than that pool will be reduced.

Except in PGA golf. They still play by an honor system where their word means something. I have seen several instances this year where a PGA pro was disqualified after they admitted to making a rule infraction that the marshalls didn't see. I have yet to see a BBQ Pro admit to parting pork or reheating pork (I have seen it this year) after it comes off of the cooker. I just cook my cook and let the chips fall where they may and try to play within whatever rules KCBS sets. I think they do a pretty good job at it and we will figure it out in 2014 I guess.

PORK:
Pork is defined as the Whole Shoulder or one of the two major portions thereof commonly know as the Boston Butt (upper half), or the Picnic roast (lower half), but no others.
After trimming, pork must have a minimum weight of five (5) pounds and can be bone-in or boneless.
If boneless, the meat must be tied together with butchers twine or similar means to the original rectangular shape before the bone was removed.
Pork must be cooked until done with all muscle groups completely intact or bound together.
Once separated, no portion thereof can be left on or returned to the cooker for any reason, including for reheating.

PORK:
Pork is defined as the Whole Shoulder or one of the two major portions thereof commonly know as the Boston Butt (upper half), or the Picnic roast (lower half), but no others.
After trimming, pork must have a minimum weight of five (5) pounds and can be bone-in or boneless.
If boneless, the meat must be tied together with butchers twine or similar means to the original rectangular shape before the bone was removed.
Pork must be cooked until done with all muscle groups completely intact or bound together.
Once separated, no portion thereof can be left on or returned to the cooker for any reason, including for reheating.

You are getting TOO specific and eliminating a fair cooking technique. As long as it is not seperated or returned to the cooker in an unwhole state, I believe it should be fair game. making cooks use Twine and tying up the meat is a little overboard brother :becky:

Back