MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-07-2006, 07:31 PM   #1
jgh1204
Babbling Farker

Default Much better results

After my last cook, this one came out much better. So out of 3 cooks on the bandera, 1 great(the first), 1 not great(the 2nd) and now a very good.

The first time I used a lot of Kingsford with hickory chunks added. The 2nd time used lump with hickory chunks.

This time, I used a little kingsford, a little kingsford lump(gets very hot) and pecan splits from Academy.

Much easier to regulate the temps using the kingsford and the splits.

Ordered a charcoal basket from Spicewine and it is on its way. I will try it out next weekend.

I will need some advice on using the charcoal basket.

Old 01-08-2006, 12:12 AM   #2
Sawdustguy
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Congrats! Whatever works for ya....

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2006, 10:24 AM   #3
Smoker
is One Chatty Farker

I started out using charcoal on the Bandera but I have since moved to mostly lump and split wood. There is too much ash with the charcoal and I like the smell better with the lump as opposed to the charcoal.
Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2006, 12:55 PM   #4
JohnMcD348
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoker
I started out using charcoal on the Bandera but I have since moved to mostly lump and split wood. There is too much ash with the charcoal and I like the smell better with the lump as opposed to the charcoal.
I have to agree, I've been more diligent in looking for Lump instead of just settling for Kingsford. And now that it seems nearly impossible to fins the old style K-briquets, I might eventually have to go to purely stick burning if the lump supply goes away. There hasn't been much of a reliable supply of any kind of lump in my area.

JTMcD.

We sleep peaceful in our beds because Rough Men stand ready in the night to visit violence upon those who would do us harm.......G. Orwell

Brinkman Smoke King Deluxe, The Famous StudeDera, Weber Smokey Joe Gold and Platinum, Brinkman Professional Grill, Brinkman ECB and 2 Weber Smoky Mountians
JohnMcD348 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2006, 05:42 PM   #5
jgh1204
Babbling Farker

I can find plenty of lump in my area, unfortunately, it is all mesquite lump.