MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-03-2011, 10:16 AM   #1
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Simple (CHEAP) rub option for butts

So I've tried this a few times now and I've been pretty happy with the results. As much as I LOVE my Simply Marvelous rub collection, when I'm cooking for a crowd, several pounds of the stuff stings the wallet a bit. (Now Steph....it's worth every cent....don't read into this)

So, last weekend I cooked 6 butts for various friends and family (and made a little coin in the process) and instead of using the high quality rubs, I sprinkled all the butts with McCormick's Monteal Steak Seasoning and then a nice liberal application of Lawry's Seasoned Salt.

After pulling the meat, the saltiness of the Lawry's and the pepper in the McCormick's lended a great flavor and compliment to the meat.

PLUS....I get 1 large shaker (about 2.5 lbs each) of each from Sam's or RD for about $12 total. I think this is gonna be my "go to" rub application for large cooks from now on. It's really not as good as SM, but it aint bad either!

I also did the McCormick's on a brisket once, and it was PERFECT!

Anyone else tried these either seperately or together?

Old 09-03-2011, 10:25 AM   #2
big brother smoke

A man has to do, what a man has to do!

Powered by the West Coast Offense: Big Poppa Smokers and Simply Marvelous BBQ - "Walk with Us"

My weapons: Humphrey's Smokers
big brother smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-03-2011, 10:31 AM   #3
cameraman
Babbling Farker

I've used the lowrey as a base before. I like the blend idea, but isn't it a little salty?
Smokey Joe (RIP)
a dorky little headlamp[/COLOR]
cameraman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-03-2011, 10:32 AM   #4
BigButzBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

If you got to do it. You can't go wrong with kosher salt, black pepper, and some garlic either powdered or granulated.

Even if it makes you feel like the criminal that you ARE afterwards.

12" Charbroil, SJS, WGA:becky:, 22.5 OTG:thumb:, mUDS:drama:, 2 UDS:cool: w/AML Wood Art Custom Handles, 2 pull behind rigs The Beast :twisted:, & the new White Shadow :hail: :twisted:

Inventor of[B]:[/B][COLOR=black] [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1273411&postcount=1"][B]3BGB![/B][/URL][B] , [/B][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1284334&postcount=1"][B]Shigen![/B][/URL][B] , & [/B][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1387858&postcount=1"][B]Bacone Scotch Egg Sundae![/B][/URL][/COLOR]
:hail:Avatar by Zydecopaws:hail:
[B][URL="http://BigButzBBQSauce.net"]Big Butz BBQ Products [/URL][/B]
BigButzBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-03-2011, 11:53 AM   #5
Wampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameraman View Post
I've used the lowrey as a base before. I like the blend idea, but isn't it a little salty?
If you JUST tear and taste the bark, yes, it's salty. But, when the meat's pulled and the bark is blended in, it works. The salt as well as the pepper in the Montreal Steak works well with the pork.

Steph and Tom....don't go a-hatin on me now!!!
I do a lot of cooks where I'll plan on firing the smoker up and we'll text and put the word out to a list of folks around town that ask me to like this: "Pork shoulder cook tomorrow. Picking up meat tonight. Let me know by 4 if you want in." And I'll end up getting orders from 4-8 butts extra. I charge double the meat price (which has to cover rub, charcoal and my time and effort in cooking, pulling and packaging and sauce).

All I'm saying is that when I'd burn through 2 lbs of SM and some Big Butz Sauce it wasn't very cost effective. SO....I've gone with doctored up SBR and these alternative rubs, which still put out a good product and I actually get paid something for my time.

When I do real catering gigs, I'll still plan for and (with approval) charge for the good stuff.

I'm just trying to offer (what I consider to be) cost effective alternatives for those who are looking for them. MY personal stock still does and will always include both of your great products.

GOT IT FARKERS?

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-03-2011, 12:17 PM   #6
landarc

You abandoned Tom and Steph, noooo

I used to use McCormicks Montreal Steak and it was fine, actually, it is pretty good. And I used to docotr SBR as well. Both are excellent products actually and will satisfy folks.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-03-2011, 12:50 PM   #7
btcg
Babbling Farker

SM is good, as is Plowboys. El_Matt sent me some pretty good local stuff he uses. I wish he'd resend me his address so I can send him his package. I've got a ton of stuff for him, including somw FD sauces.

Sorry though, Dan's (3-Eyez) has become my fav. If you've never tried Dan's rub, give it a whirl. I'd bet you'll add it to your collection if you do.

Old 09-03-2011, 12:57 PM   #8
btcg
Babbling Farker

Found it Matt!

Old 09-03-2011, 01:06 PM   #9
tamadrummer
is one Smokin' Farker

I totally agree with the theory of using the "good" quality stuff for a profitable cook. You are cooking with ingredients that the general public know the flavor profile of and it will bring them back to a nice comfortable place in their mind while they eat.

As far as comps and home cooking go, I would go with the highest quality I could get my hands on. For my money, I would go with Oakridge BBQ rubs, for a couple of reasons. One, I love the flavor as does my family. Two, I think Mike is one of the most ethical business men I know, when a company take the time to give out of their heart 10% the companies profits to charity, they are in line with my beliefs. Three, I have never tried any of the other manufacturers stuff and unlike Oakridge, there are no sample packs for $3.75 where I can taste each type and find the one that fits my families needs. I am not a wealthy person and I have to be able to know beyond a shadow of a doubt that the money I am spending works for all of us.

So all that said, I love both Lawry's Seasoned salt and McCormick's Montreal seasoning, I have used them for my entire life and know the profile. It just makes sense to me man. Keep on rockin the socks off your customers and fill your pockets so you can afford the boutique blends for the chef.
tamadrummer is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->