MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-20-2020, 04:27 PM   #9871
BigKing
Full Fledged Farker

It seems gnarly that there could even be a lemon. It's a barrel with a hole at the bottom and some rebar.

I wonder if you recorded your entire lighting process and sent it to them if it would help. I called them the first time I cooked on it and they were fantastic, even providing me specific instructions based on where I lived since the CSR knew my area.

Has to be maddening to have the thing consistently run super hot when a giant selling point is how easy it is.

Old 05-20-2020, 05:02 PM   #9872
stickbit
Got Wood.

Hey Rib Rub - that sucks. I was frustrated as well...once I got the lid sealing correctly it all comes down to the bottom vent being set for your elevation and most importantly your lighting technique. That is pretty much it. Once I got that lid sealed so the smoke only comes out from rebar holes things really came together.

The PBC official starting method works...I use a modified version where I dump the coals after the top most coals start to turn white, and then I leave the lid off and let it burn wide open for 10 mins or so...then I put the lid on, leave rebars out and go another 10 mins...finally after that 10 mins is up I insert rebars and hang meat. This way I get a temp spike 350-420 degrees, and then after maybe 15 mins or so it drops down to 320-275 range. Anyways the main point of my post is to mention the lid and leave a couple gasket placement photos.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pbc_lid_2.jpg (134.1 KB, 193 views)
File Type: jpg pbc_lid_1.jpg (112.9 KB, 195 views)
stickbit is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-20-2020, 10:07 PM   #9873
Kanco Connection
is One Chatty Farker

Dang, RibRub. I can feel your frustration and hate you’re struggling. Totally understand it when you’re losing time and money and effort trying to do something you love.
Wonder if you have a friend nearby with the PBC? Or maybe one of the Brethren in your hood you can connect with? Or possibly a comp in your area—lots of teams use PBCs only as chicken cookers but I’m sure they know their way around it otherwise. I don’t know. Really wish I could help you. If this thread can’t assist you then it can’t be done. Hunsaker is a legit alternative.

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-20-2020, 10:13 PM   #9874
pharp
Banned

Can you elaborate on your customer service experience?
pharp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-23-2020, 01:08 PM   #9875
Kanco Connection
is One Chatty Farker

smoked a couple butts and a turkey breast on the PBC. Butts were great but the turkey breast was what the kiddos were grabbing as fast as I could slice it

Old 05-23-2020, 04:49 PM   #9876
pharp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanco Connection View Post
smoked a couple butts and a turkey breast on the PBC. Butts were great but the turkey breast was what the kiddos were grabbing as fast as I could slice it

Looks fantastic!

Old 05-24-2020, 11:56 PM   #9877
golfnutgps
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : Dodo

I finally was able to cook 2 racks of St. Louis style ribs on the pbc today. Kept it simple as this was my first cook. Just used the PBC Beef & Game pit rub. Followed the lighting method from the PBC website. At 3 hrs, I checked the ribs but it didn't pass the bend test and the toothpick test so I left it for another hour. Pulled at exactly 4 hrs and let it rest. I just have to say that the ribs were amazing. Here's a pic. Sorry if its a little blurry as my phone sucks. I did have a little issue with water dripping on the bottom of the PBC though. I dont know what caused it but I will have to look at that some other day. https://imgur.com/a/dYMXCn8

Old 05-25-2020, 12:57 PM   #9878
Tbro
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Tom

Hey, All
I have a question about my PBC. They say the cooker usually runs at 275 to 310 *F. At what location in the cooker are they talking about? I have my temperature probe centered in the middle of the barrel and can never seem to get above 250*, and usually closer to 225*. I have my bottom vent set correctly, but even when I open it more the temperature doesn’t change? I Followed PBC lighting instructions, use kingsford briquettes, can’t figure it out.

Old 05-25-2020, 01:15 PM   #9879
TealStBBQKing
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbro View Post
Hey, All
I have a question about my PBC. They say the cooker usually runs at 275 to 310 *F. At what location in the cooker are they talking about? I have my temperature probe centered in the middle of the barrel and can never seem to get above 250*, and usually closer to 225*. I have my bottom vent set correctly, but even when I open it more the temperature doesn’t change? I Followed PBC lighting instructions, use kingsford briquettes, can’t figure it out.
How many brickettes are you starting with?

Old 05-25-2020, 01:17 PM   #9880
pharp
Banned

Quote:
Hey, All
Do you have meat on the rack? It is a small area so airflow And meat placement can affect it.

Old 05-25-2020, 01:30 PM   #9881
Tbro

Teal St,
I always level the pan with briquettes, pull out 40 and put into the chimney, when those are white I dump them into the pan.
Pharp,
right now I have a 10lb brisket going, but it’s hanging (no grate). Plenty of open space.

Old 05-25-2020, 01:32 PM   #9882
TealStBBQKing
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Teal St,
I always level the pan with briquettes, pull out 40 and put into the chimney, when those are white I dump them into the pan.
Pharp,
right now I have a 10lb brisket going, but it’s hanging (no grate). Plenty of open space.
I would open up the bottom vent a soft hammer touch at a time till you get the temp you want. Trying to go up in temperature is a lot easier than trying to get the barrel back down

Old 05-25-2020, 01:34 PM   #9883
pharp
Banned

Quote:
Teal St,
Pharp,
Crack the lid if you need to raise the temp. Once you get where you want and put the lid back on...if the temp starts going back down open the bottom a little at a time til it stops.

Old 05-25-2020, 01:35 PM   #9884
TealStBBQKing
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharp View Post
Crack the lid if you need to raise the temp. Once you get where you want and put the lid back on...if the temp starts going back down open the bottom a little at a time til it stops.
+1 better advice than mine

Old 05-25-2020, 01:37 PM   #9885
Tbro

I put the brisket on at 10:20 this morning, and now (1:30) it’s at 136*, so it seems to be cooking ok? I just don’t understand where PBC is getting their temperature readings? In the past I’ve done my briskets in my CookShack, this is my first try in the PBC. I’ve done other cook in this thing, chicken, ribs, and the temps always seem to run around 225-250*

Tags
hanging meat, Hooking meat, Noah Glanville, PBC, PBJ, pit barrel cooker, pit barrel junior, pork butt, set it and forget it