How do you dress your pulled/chooped pork?

jasonjax

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Curious how many folks add rub, sauce, etc to their butts when they cook up some pulled or chopped pork.

I still haven't decided on a regular method since I experiment so much. Then there is the dilemma of what type of sauce to use, vinegar based, red, mustard etc.

What do you folkses do?

Different rubs depending on my mood. When I sauce, I use Blues Hog. Farkin' excellent on pork.

I serve mine naked. That way everyone can sauce it up as much as they like. I personally am a huge fan of vinegar based sauces. White eating a pulled pork sandwich the sauce soaks right into the roll and penetrates the meat. It's amazing. I usually serve a traditional sauce and a mustard sauce alongside my vinegar sauce, but then never seem to get touched.

I cook using a brown sugar based rub with some good heat. I serve pulled plain with a vinegar sauce and a homemade red sauce and let people choose.
I cover mine in the vinegar sauce then add some red on top.

I pour the drippins over the pork after I pull it then use a lexington bbq sauce or just mustard on the bun with raw onion ( drool). Wife likes a sweet sauce and slaw. :loco:

I'm new to this but have been using Big Bob Gibson's rub and saucing at the table. My wife likes a tomato based sauce and I like a vinegar based.

She uses Big Bob Gibson's championship red and I use Blues Hog red Tennessee. Occasionally I'll use Gibson's championship and now and then I use the hot version of the championship sauce (with habanero). I don't have a lot to compare them to though.

I compete, ergo. no sauce then, only on the side.

I dont chop it; I pull it and that's NOT shredding it, but pulling it in chunks roughly the size of my thumb. This helps retain moisture and we remove ALL the fat.

I want my friends to eat as high a quality BBQ as possible, so I do the same thing at home. They have their choice of no sauce and of multiple sauces if they choose.
I'll usually have available my chicken sauce, my pork sauce, blues hog original, blues hog tennessee red, often times head county, and my kid likes sweet baby ray's with honey and grape jelly, so we'll have usually all those available, and even sometimes a mustard sauce because one of my friends is a SC mutant.

never sauce before I serve but I always make a batch of finishing sauce consistiing of apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, cajun seasoning, black pepper and red pper flakes. lI drizzle on top when I make a sandwich and love the extra kick it gives.

I don't dress, but I do have Scott's barbecue sauce on hand at all times. It is a vinegar based sauce that rocks.

Before cooking I inject some apple juice with a touch of cranberry juice mixed in, and then I use either some SM Cherry Rub or sometimes SM Apple. This last time I tried some of Big Mista's Perfect Pork Rub (pretty darned tasty). I pull the pork into some strings but mostly into chunks, then I mix in some drippins and just a very small touch of either Sweet Baby Ray's or Sonny's Sweet BBQ sauce. I put out a variety of sauces for people to use and if serving on sandwiches, I offer cole slaw for a topping.

As a side note, for left over pulled pork, I like to cook up some yellow rice and add in the pork instead of the traditional chicken. We had some tonight. Farkin awesome!

i serve naked but use a fellow brethrens sauce on the side. i like to make sandwiches with sweet hawaiian rolls, the sauce LT uses from this thread, and some homemade creamy coleslaw. Try the sauce, you will not be disappointed

Before the smoke, I slather the butt with yellow mustard and then apply rub. After the smoke, I serve it plain and let folks choose their sauce. (I personally like a little vinegar-based sauce on mine.)

Plain for me as well, offering an eastern NC Vinegar & a mustard sauce on the side.

Occasionally, I will give a sprinkle of the vinegar sauce after pulling.

I inject with Scotts BBQ sauce, rub, then after pulling, I'll toss in a very little bit of Scotts. There is plenty of naked nibbling tho. Then sauces on the side too.

I do not inject or brine. Mustard slather, rub, good 4 to 6 hours in the fridge. When I'm done pulling, I shake a little bit more rub on the meat and give it a healthy dose of vinegar based sauce. I serve a couple different sauces on the side (red, mustard, etc...).

I dress my pulled pork lightly with defatted pan drippings, a touch of cider vinegar, sugar, and pepper flakes. It's more of a post pull injection than a full on dressing.

Last one it did i rubbed with some Simply Marvelous Sweet Seduction (peach & honey rub), pulled it, added a li'l bit of Blues Hog Tennessee Red and served with some Blues Hog TN Red sauce on the side. I think it was my best one ever.

Usually I serve it naked & dress it up on the bun with a "loose" homemade sauce that is sweet, spicy, and has plenty of vinegar. It soaks into the meat rather than sitting on top like a thicker KC style sauce will.

Lately I've been lightly seasoning the pulled meat with the same rub that went on the outside of the butt before cooking. Then I add just a little of the previously mentioned "loose" homemade sauce. Mix it up a bit, then serve.

Mmmmmmmm!

Back