22' WSM and IQue 110 issues...

F

Fat Daddy's Franks

Okay, I've now purchased 2 110's and 2 WSM's...

The second 110 is in the mail. I've used the other about 2x's a week and when using low volume amounts of meat ( 6 racks of ribs, 3 butts, or 2 briskets) it works well but when I load up the WSM with 4 butts and 2 briskets the thing doesn't hold tem well (250)?

I've bent my access door to prevent drafting have it set at 3/4 open on bottom vent and 1/4 open top vent (like the video). Use 2 chimneys unlit and 1 lit coals plus wood.

Sometimes the temp drops! Can't get it to hold at 250 and them thing runs all night on high blowing.

Has anyone cooked with this much meat? Have any of you had difficulties getting it to work properly. My next step is to call the PitMaster guys but wanted to chech here first.

Are you putting water in the pan? I found that water really holds down the temp while also wasting fuel. It does stabilize temperatures, but theres no need for it anymore since u have your fan.

I have been filling the pan. I'll try it with out later this week. Should I go just dry pan or add sand and wrap with foil?

Thanks guys! That was the ticket! Did 4 briskets, 6 racks of ribs.... Worked like a charm!

I would think if you opened the top vent a little more you could also raise the temp since the pit would be able to draft more.

In an 18" WSM this weekend I did one cook with 40lbs of pork butts in it and another cook with 31lbs of chicken using the iQue. It never budged off the temp (240 for the butts and 300 for the chicken). But I set my lower vents to about 1/2 closed and my upper vent to wide open.

Exactly what I was thinking, nt. Isn't a good draft also important to avoid getting a harsh, stale smoke taste? It's my understanding that the top vents should always be operated more toward open than closed. Is that correct?

Exactly what I was thinking, nt. Isn't a good draft also important to avoid getting a harsh, stale smoke taste? It's my understanding that the top vents should always be operated more toward open than closed. Is that correct?

This is 100% correct. Never close or even partially close the top vent. You can more accurately control temps with the bottom vents anyway.

Back