MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-15-2014, 09:17 PM   #1
Randy3269
is one Smokin' Farker

Talking Need a good dove recipe

I know you can never go wrong wrapping in bacon. Anyone got something more creative? I just cut down the stock on an old 12 gauge for my 13 yr old and he is on fire to go dove hunting. Practiced on some clay pigeons today and he is a good solid 3 of 5. Better if moving right to left.

Thanks from:--->

Old 09-15-2014, 09:58 PM   #2
mchar69
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Wrap in bacon, BBQ sauce.
Traditions were created for a reason....
mchar69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-15-2014, 10:10 PM   #3
cowgirl
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : jeanie

I cooked a batch stuffed in venison the other day... loved it.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=197353

I like to de-bone and chicken fry them too. Serve with smooshed tatoes and skillet gravy.

Good luck with your hunt!

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-19-2014, 11:25 PM   #4
Randy3269
is one Smokin' Farker

Well, not many takers on cooking dove and I didn't have any venison left from last season. Darn it....that sure looked good Jeanie! So I decided to KISS. I deboned those succulent little morsels and let them swim in Oakridge Game Changer brine for a couple hours. I cut up some large jalapenos, halved an onion, and laid it all out on the cutting board. Applied a nice layer of Oakridge Wild Game Rub to all and bundled those babies up. I used a piece of the pepper large enough to hold one of the breast, then put another on the back side. Laid the two breasts and pepper in a cocoon of onion and wrapped with bacon. Cooked over a blazing hot fire, turning often until the bacon was nice and crisp on all sides. Hmmm, wonder what IT is?...... 138 Perfect.

No sauce needed. They were amazing.

I wish I could have found the camera card, (I suspect it's plugged in the back of the PlayStation) as these were definitely photo worthy and delicious!

Thanks for listening to my ramble,
Randy

Old 09-20-2014, 09:11 AM   #5
mchar69

We wish you had the camera card too! Sounds delicious.
mchar69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2014, 10:20 AM   #6
SmokeŽ
Full Fledged Farker

We batter and fry to a golden crisp in a cast iron skillet, remove doves and make a pan of gravy with the drippings, put doves in gravy and simmer 1.5 hours. Serve with a large pan of homemade biscuits. Georgia style! Yum!
[COLOR="Silver"]Masterbuilt 40 inch electric [/COLOR]
Smokey Joe Silver mini WSM & Smokey Joe Gold
SmokeŽ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2014, 12:14 PM   #7
480 Volt
Got Wood.

Filet off the breast. lay one peace down top with slice of cheddar cheese and sliced pickled jalapeno pepper. lay other meat on top and wrap with bacon and secure with toothpick. dredge in milk egg bath and into flour. Fry until golden brown. Have cooked dove many ways, but this will make your stomach very very happy!!!
480 Volt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2014, 02:58 PM   #8
cowgirl

Name/Nickname : jeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy3269 View Post
Well, not many takers on cooking dove and I didn't have any venison left from last season. Darn it....that sure looked good Jeanie! So I decided to KISS. I deboned those succulent little morsels and let them swim in Oakridge Game Changer brine for a couple hours. I cut up some large jalapenos, halved an onion, and laid it all out on the cutting board. Applied a nice layer of Oakridge Wild Game Rub to all and bundled those babies up. I used a piece of the pepper large enough to hold one of the breast, then put another on the back side. Laid the two breasts and pepper in a cocoon of onion and wrapped with bacon. Cooked over a blazing hot fire, turning often until the bacon was nice and crisp on all sides. Hmmm, wonder what IT is?...... 138 Perfect.

No sauce needed. They were amazing.

I wish I could have found the camera card, (I suspect it's plugged in the back of the PlayStation) as these were definitely photo worthy and delicious!

Thanks for listening to my ramble,
Randy

Randy that sounds great!!

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2014, 04:47 PM   #9
deepsouth

timely post. i just saw some dove in my freezer than need cooking.

Old 09-20-2014, 09:50 PM   #10
revkab
is one Smokin' Farker

I like to pressure cook the little buggers for about 15 - 20 minutes to get them tender, then saute gently with a little bacon and onions. Make a gravy with the drippings from the pan.
[COLOR=blue][B][SIZE=3]That Smokin' Preacher. Ribs and :mad2:[COLOR=red]Hot Peppers[/COLOR]:mad2:[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR][LIST][*][B]WKG (Weber Kettle Grill)[/B][*][B][COLOR=navy]Brinkman heavy duty Cimarron offset[/COLOR][/B][*][B][COLOR=red]Custom built 72" x 40" Offset logburner[/COLOR][/B][*][B][COLOR=navy]One Butt Ugly Drum Smoker[/COLOR][/B][*][B][COLOR=black]One big tow-behind Wood-fired grill [/COLOR][/B][*][B][COLOR=#ff0000][COLOR=gray]and one itty bitty gasser[/COLOR] :doh:[/COLOR][/B][/LIST]
revkab is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2014, 11:31 PM   #11
martyleach

My mother would put 20 or more of them in a big pot and cook them slowly. I have asked her for the recipe because it was awesome but she can't remember. She's 92. Bummer, getting old sucks.

Custom wooden handles for BBQ's made by Marty Leach (oh, that's me)
[url]http://www.amlwoodart.com[/url]
martyleach is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-21-2014, 11:19 AM   #12
Adjg04
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Adam

I bone them out and soak the fillets in buttermilk for several hours, wrap them in bacon and dust with plowboys yardbird. Grill till the bacon gets a little crispy. I also do them the same way just without bacon and throw them in a vegetable basket so they dont fall through the grates
Adjg04 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-21-2014, 11:33 AM   #13
Big Country BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

take the breast slie down the breast bone on the front on both sides. Marinate in 75% dales and 25% water for 24 HOURS! take out put cream cheese in a bag cut the tip off like a pipers bag for cakes squirt one side of breast then put a slice of jalopeno slice on the the other slice. wrap in bacon put on skewer with like 10 dove breast per skewer . cook till bacon is crispy then do a light glaze of sauce. done
ROLL TIDE ROLL!
Big Country BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote