Maverick Model#CS-55-73 smoker

katdaddy

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
Thank you for welcoming me to your site. So I will start with my review of this pit. I have been looking all over a good clean barrel to no avail. I had purchased all the grates, charcoal basket and accessories to build my own already. While surfing the web I came across this UDS and the word "competition" on the model drew me to it. It was on sale and free shipping so I ordered it.
Well, I'm not impressed. I reckon I should have investigated the reviews better. Right out of the box I noticed how flimsy it is. It bends very easily which was very noticeable. Lots of places to lose heat and the door had some big gaps. Tried to bend them around to fit snug but no way. So today I decide to season it. Spray everything with vegetable oil and start coals. Stated fire at 10 am and by 1 pm all coals were gone. About 12-15 lbs. I left all vents open for 1 hour then closed them to half open. All I have read is how well they hold fire for up to 8 hours. I was hoping to have some fire left by 4pm to put something on it to cook.
As for the Redi Chek remote smoker thermometer, I would stick to the old school ones. Never could get it to come down so I had no idea how hot it got.
I have cooked on stick burners but wanted to venture to the UDS side. were. thanks

Back