MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-30-2016, 10:07 AM   #1
SlowInLo
Found some matches.

Default Beef short ribs question

I called my local meat shop and asked for Beef Plate short ribs. They don't carry them but they do have Beef Chuck short ribs.

Are these the same cuts just named differently? Appreciate any help.
SlowInLo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-30-2016, 10:19 AM   #2
aawa
Babbling Farker

The beef chuck short ribs are typically smaller and have 4 bones per plate. The Beef Plate short ribs are typically longer and have 3 bones per plate.

Both are great to cook and have a wow factor when serving and eating them. They both taste like brisket on a stick.

Thanks from: --->
Old 11-30-2016, 12:04 PM   #3
RangerJ
is one Smokin' Farker

Not the same cut. Google is your friend.

However... Chuck ribs are fine if that's all you can get your hands on. Stay away from the back ribs that lots of folks pass off as "beef ribs". While true to definition they are, they have little meat and its between the bones. Both plate and chuck have lots of meat on top of the bone.

Good luck.
RangerJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-30-2016, 02:31 PM   #4
daninnewjersey
Babbling Farker

These are beef (chuck) short ribs. Make sure if you're getting a rack you check them first. They usually come 4 to a pack and you want the rack with the least amount of hard fat. You'll know it....the ones with the tons of hard fat have significantly less meat on them....

Last edited by daninnewjersey; 02-25-2021 at 02:59 PM..
daninnewjersey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-30-2016, 03:06 PM   #5
RangerJ
is one Smokin' Farker

^^^^^^ Chuck Short Ribs pictured above
RangerJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-30-2016, 04:34 PM   #6
JKCDN
Got Wood.

I have yet to find plate short ribs in San Diego, maybe they are all kept for restaurants? Two quick questions (not to hijack)...why are the number and length of the bones different from chuck to plate ribs?

Old 11-30-2016, 05:15 PM   #7
Mikebeme
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKCDN View Post
I have yet to find plate short ribs in San Diego, maybe they are all kept for restaurants? Two quick questions (not to hijack)...why are the number and length of the bones different from chuck to plate ribs?
I've got them from Stater Bros., Sams Club, Super King, you should be able to get them from any grocery that has beef short ribs you just have to ask the butcher to get you a cryopack from the back.
Mikebeme is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-30-2016, 05:46 PM   #8
bergenguy
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
I believe the Chucks and the Plate are next to each other so its not a different way of cutting the same piece. my understanding is that theoretically, you can get plates in a 4 bone.... but I've never seen it. If you use the search function on the site, there are plenty of threads which discuss the difference and include the cut numbers. I can always get plates and chucks... but can't get some stuff other cuts bretheren always guess. It some seem to appear that there is a highly regional component to getting certain cuts and the cost of those cuts.

Since pics of chucks are posted above... here are some plates (they aren't in threes since I had to separate them to fit them in vacupack bags)

bergenguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-30-2016, 06:15 PM   #9
JKCDN
Got Wood.

Makes sense, the ribs are longer as you move from the chuck to plate. Guess I should be happy with my regional tri-tip and $2.19lb prime costco brisket!

I have asked at Stater, Von's, Wholefoods, Costco and Restaurant Depot. If they know the difference (and many of them don't) the answer is always chuck only. It's a drag to remove the V shaped hard fat and lose 25%-40% of the yield :(

Old 11-30-2016, 06:52 PM   #10
steelarz47
Full Fledged Farker

buy the boneless chuck short ribs, nice and meaty and come out excellent smoked, most bigger grocery store carry them.

Old 11-30-2016, 07:10 PM   #11
jwtseng
is one Smokin' Farker

I can't get plates locally either but chuck shortribs are everywhere. I could probably special order them from the butcher, but I just haven't.

It's different muscle groups piled up on the rib bone as you move from the back to the belly. The best muscle is on the beef backrib, which is the ribeye. If you've ever seen a tomahawk ribeye...the bone that extends from the ribeye portion of the backrib is the plate rib that we all are talking about here. The muscles on this plate rib are basically the trapezius and the latissumus (for all you bodybuilders out there!)....two nice big muscle layers for this plate rib section. The chuck ribs are sort of the "end" of the ribs coming across the bottom-side to front. Here there is more fat (closer to the un-exercised belly) and there are generally three muscle layers...the transversus abdominus, the internal oblique, and the external oblique....and because of the three layers, there is more fascia or collagen to breakdown vs. the two bigger muscle layers of the plate rib.

Old 12-01-2016, 07:32 AM   #12
aawa
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Makes sense, the ribs are longer as you move from the chuck to plate. Guess I should be happy with my regional tri-tip and $2.19lb prime costco brisket!

I have asked at Stater, Von's, Wholefoods, Costco and Restaurant Depot. If they know the difference (and many of them don't) the answer is always chuck only. It's a drag to remove the V shaped hard fat and lose 25%-40% of the yield :(
Check the international markets meat sections. They typically have a lot of different cuts that normal stores don't carry. I go to the asian market and the mexican market in my area to get the beef ribs for a much lower price than any of the typical groceries.

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-01-2016, 08:07 AM   #13
TheHojo
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Ted

Good article on difference between Plate and Chuck Short Ribs - and who serves which ones in Texas

http://www.tmbbq.com/you-may-love-be...itmasters-dont
Johnson Smoker Compact Ultimate Patio - retired
Brinkmann Stillwater - retired
Old Smokey 18'' - retired[/FONT]
TheHojo is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2016, 08:58 AM   #14
JohnnyB
is one Smokin' Farker

I prefer the plate over the chuck, hands down. Chuck is still good, but the plate just comes out SO much better to me. In my area, these aren't too hard to find, sometimes you have to wait a month or so to find em. But they're out there, usually $5.99/lb.

I will say, where I get jealous, is the brisket selection most of you guys have. Up here, we have select and choice briskets only. That's it. And the choice is $3.38/lb.

Old 12-01-2016, 09:06 AM   #15
daninnewjersey
Babbling Farker

Quote:
I should be happy with my regional tri-tip and $2.19lb prime costco brisket!
Damn....jealous doesn't cover it for me.....