logo

A good day but a sad day

Jrogers84

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
They have arrived....but considering Michigan winters I won't be putting it together until the spring.....
008a0b21c6eba0800b7ff9425af01c6e.jpg

Mine stays out 24/7 365. I just cover it.
It is sad you won't be enjoying them.
Have fun in the spring.

Mine stays out 24/7 365. I just cover it.
It is sad you won't be enjoying them.
Have fun in the spring.

I plan on building a covered area in the spring so that I can enjoy my toys year round. I just cant stand in negative wind chill temps with a few feet of snow for a prolonged time....Im not built for it :p

Congrats on the twins!
If you have the space somewhere, I would probably get started on the seasoning. There are many opinions on what and how to season the Blackstone. I have a few BS owners who have used the Sheryl Canter method using "Organic Flax Seed Oil" as tested and confirmed by Cook's Illustrated and swear by it. Most say it can take 7-10 cycles. Others have used the old school ways as taught by their elders.
I'm in the Cook's Illustrated camp. Just knowing that they have done many tests and comparisons and have a clear understanding of the results.

I plan on building a covered area in the spring so that I can enjoy my toys year round. I just cant stand in negative wind chill temps with a few feet of snow for a prolonged time....Im not built for it :p
This is why I live in FL, can't stand the cold anymore.

Congrats on the twins!
If you have the space somewhere, I would probably get started on the seasoning. There are many opinions on what and how to season the Blackstone. I have a few BS owners who have used the Sheryl Canter method using "Organic Flax Seed Oil" as tested and confirmed by Cook's Illustrated and swear by it. Most say it can take 7-10 cycles. Others have used the old school ways as taught by their elders.
I'm in the Cook's Illustrated camp. Just knowing that they have done many tests and comparisons and have a clear understanding of the results.

I collect and restore cast iron so when it comes to seasoning, as with everyone into cast iron, I have my own way :) SO many opinons on which way is right!

Nice score!

Yeah living in the great white north makes cooking outside a "challenge"!

I collect and restore cast iron so when it comes to seasoning, as with everyone into cast iron, I have my own way :) SO many opinons on which way is right!

I hope a very small sidebar question is OK and I won't derail - What oil do you like to season with? I found grape seed oil looks nice but chips as critics have also said. Thanks

I hope a very small sidebar question is OK and I won't derail - What oil do you like to season with? I found grape seed oil looks nice but chips as critics have also said. Thanks

Speaking for me, I first used grape seed oil. It lasted for a while. But I still had spots that would soften up due to its high smoke point. I found it difficult to get the whole BS surface over 425.

I still like to cook with it due to it's high smoke point of 425 degrees. So I am on to unrefined or "Organic Flax Seed Oil" for seasoning with a smoke point of 225.

I found seasoning the steel griddle on a BS is no where near like seasoning cast iron cookware in an oven. The heat is applied more evenly in an oven when seasoning CI cookware. On the BS you are using the burners directly under the steel griddle to heat the steel griddle surface. Heat level is highest there and fades away on each side of the burners. Since the seasoning process is to heat the cooking surface beyond the smoke point of the oil you are using, I makes sense to me to use an oil with a low smoke point. It does take many times with very very light applications of the seasoning oil to produce a quality and long lasting seasoning surface.
And you still need to take care of it as with any seasoned cooking surface.
Again, this may not be for everyone. But it does works for a few of us. :mrgreen:

Ill talk CI any day, feel free to derail! I use different oils for different purposes. I have used flax on pans I do not plan on cooking in because it takes a lot less to get them to turn black. As for pans I cook with I use either simple crisco, lard, or grapeseed oil. I have switched to grapeseed a little while ago without any issue. Been cooking in the pans for a long time as have a few non experienced cast iron users without any flaking or issues. Feel free to pm me with anything cast iron, I love the conversation!

Awesome! It's on my list to get but for now I have a smaller griddle I can use on the 007 or stove top for now. Definitely can see one of those on the patio but I understand about the winters...grilling/smoking is all good but griddling in wicked Winter winds wouldn't be good.

Ill talk CI any day, feel free to derail! I use different oils for different purposes. I have used flax on pans I do not plan on cooking in because it takes a lot less to get them to turn black. As for pans I cook with I use either simple crisco, lard, or grapeseed oil. I have switched to grapeseed a little while ago without any issue. Been cooking in the pans for a long time as have a few non experienced cast iron users without any flaking or issues. Feel free to pm me with anything cast iron, I love the conversation!

That's generous of you. Thanks. I plan to hook up an E-Tank this winter. I have all the parts. Then I'll be re-seasoning them. I'm inclined toward flax or lard.

That's generous of you. Thanks. I plan to hook up an E-Tank this winter. I have all the parts. Then I'll be re-seasoning them. I'm inclined toward flax or lard.

IMO use lard if you plan on using the piece. Otherwise it can go rancid. The main reason I dont use flax on pieces I use is the smell I get when seasoning. Smells awful. I understand it does not mean anything when it comes to flavor but I dont see a need to use it over crisco/lard on a user. Also for users I season once. One time. Then start cooking. Fatty foods only to start. Youll never get a better season than you do from use so why waste the time seasoning over and over when I can get started cooking! (As you can see this is a passion of mine) Their are so many "right" ways to season. No way is the correct way!

Back