MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-30-2013, 01:43 PM   #11476
olewarthog
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by toro168 View Post
Hi,

New guy here. I finished my UDS and fired it up last night.

Are you guys also experiencing different temp reading between your dial thermometer vs your digital one? Mine is reading almost 60 to 80 deg difference.

My other question is this thing spit out way too much smoke, is there a reason why? I lighted it using the minion method and put in 2 chunk of cherry wood, let the temp go up to 280 deg and then I slowly close the air intake one at a time until it stabilized around 270 but white smoke were flowing out like crazy. Anything I can do to minimize the amount of smoke or is this the way to smoke meat? I have been using a propane smoke box in the past and this is my first charcoal smoker and I am worried my meat will be too smokey to eat?

Thanks for your advice and help
Most dial therms have a nut on the backside for adjustments. Dip the probe end in boiling water & adjust accordingly.

If you are wanting to cook at 270, I would suggest start closing off intakes at 250 & allow the drum to rise slowly to 270. Once you have the temp stabilized, the thick white smoke should give way to thin, blue smoke. Mine normally settles in & is producing thin blue smoke in about 30-40 mins from start up, but each drum reacts a little different.

1 members found this post helpful.

Old 09-30-2013, 04:17 PM   #11477
toro168
Got rid of the matchlight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyK View Post
Toro168 did you use a grinder to get your barrel that cleaned off before painting it?

I ask because I have a red powder coating on the inside of my barrel that will not come off via burning it out.

I am thinking a grinder and a grinding wheel are my next step.
Hi Jimmy,

Yes I did, I use a polycarbide abrasive wheel to grind it out. I spray the inside of the barrel with a bit of water to keep the dust down to a minimum. I also bought a cheapo grinder from Harbor Freight for $13.

http://www.harborfreight.com/4-12-an...der-60625.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/4-12-po...eel-60571.html
toro168 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-30-2013, 04:18 PM   #11478
toro168
Got rid of the matchlight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by olewarthog View Post
Most dial therms have a nut on the backside for adjustments. Dip the probe end in boiling water & adjust accordingly.

If you are wanting to cook at 270, I would suggest start closing off intakes at 250 & allow the drum to rise slowly to 270. Once you have the temp stabilized, the thick white smoke should give way to thin, blue smoke. Mine normally settles in & is producing thin blue smoke in about 30-40 mins from start up, but each drum reacts a little different.

Thanks for the tips. I will adjust the therms this weekend, and will try closing off the intakes and see if i can get the blue smoke.
toro168 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-30-2013, 06:06 PM   #11479
funugy
Take a breath!

snip..

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyK View Post
@funugy Thanks for the advice.

Someone suggested I not worry about the red liner...just give it a good coat of veg. oil when I season my smoker and it will be under grease and not harmful.

I am not sure I like that idea.
...end snip

I dunno if I would trust it. I would suggest doing research to find out what the liner is made of, MSDS, flashpoint, etc. before leaving it in place.

If it were me, I'd do everything I can to get that liner out of there and get it to bare metal.
funugy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-30-2013, 06:11 PM   #11480
Goldenfinger
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by funugy View Post
snip..

...end snip

I dunno if I would trust it. I would suggest doing research to find out what the liner is made of, MSDS, flashpoint, etc. before leaving it in place.

If it were me, I'd do everything I can to get that liner out of there and get it to bare metal.
If it doesn't wire brush well... it may have epoxy content in the "red" coating for durability... I would agree with Funugy that you should look into the MSDS before cooking on that... or better yet, scrap it for another barrel.

If I had this to do over again... I would seriously consider the extra cost in buying a new, unlined barrel over sandblasting or grinding... takes a lot of time.

Old 10-01-2013, 02:48 PM   #11481
joewhite2417
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Guys, thanks so much for the inspiration from this epic thread. I went ahead and built it using the KISS philosophy. Seasoning burn was last weekend, first cookout this weekend!

Joe

First barrel (had a liner, consigned to fire pit duty) https://db.tt/3CbiYDqT
Fire basket construction https://db.tt/wWS0jgT9
Fire basket completed. https://db.tt/VTvGoC3q
Smokey Joe. https://db.tt/pbkIppOu

(one day I will learn to post pics!!)

Last edited by joewhite2417; 10-01-2013 at 02:57 PM.. Reason: Picture problems
joewhite2417 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-03-2013, 10:56 PM   #11482
DjPorkchop
is one Smokin' Farker

Hello everyone. Long time lurker, firs time poster in the UDS thread.

So I saw a guy on the big video site that built a nice looking UDS and I got the bug in a bad kind of way and then I found this site and this thread. Needless to say, a few dollars later, I buily my first UDS.

I picked up some lump coal from walmart and sprayed the inside down real good with a whole can of cheapo cooking spray including cooking racks. I then filled my coal basket and dumped my chimney of coal in and put in the racks and closed the old girl up. Off she went.

No on that video I watched, the man got his up to 200, put the cap on the rear vent and closed his 2 ball valves half way, brought it up to 225 and there she sat all day.

In my case, I put the cap on the rear vent at 200 and closed my valves half way and the temps plumeted well below 200. I then opened the valves all the way and left the cap on and it came up to 200 on the dial (250 i would guess). And there it sat. I then took the cap off the back vent, closed my valves half way and she leveled out at 225 on the dial, again I'm sure not accurate. I actually found myself chasing temps for a better part of 5 hours.

Like I said, the coal I used was the 6 pounds of lump that Walmart sells and I have heard bad things about it. The only other option I have is Sams club and they have the 40 lb bag of best of the west and 40 lb El Diablo Mesquite.

Decisions decisions. This is my first smoker ever and by the end of the day of seasoning, I was plum worn out chasing temps. Any good tips or advice?

Take care everyone and happy Q'ing!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg udsbuild.jpg (286.5 KB, 816 views)
DjPorkchop is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-03-2013, 11:35 PM   #11483
retired trucker
is One Chatty Farker

For you guys that have the "dreaded" red liner in your barrels. Burn about two barrels worth of oak pallets through your barrels and then paint or do whatever you are going to do to the outside. Then spray the inside down with Pam or some other spray oil and fire that baby up and start cooking. With the heat generated from 2 burns of oak pallets, there is no worry about any baddies left in the barrel that will leach out and affect any cook you might do in your UDS.

Think about it! When your up to cooking temp, the sides of the barrel on the outside is not hot enough to burn your hand if you accidentally touch it. It won't scorch the paint you painted the drum with, so it will not get hot enough to put out any bad fumes from any left over red liner. Besides, the pam will form a layer of soot and seasoning to the inside of the drum. My drum had the red liner and after two hot burns, I quit and did not sand, grind, or do anything else to the inside of my drum. I finished the outside and then started cooking on it. Two years later, I am still alive and well and my drum is like it was when I built it. (Of course I do have a second nose growing on my forehead, but I think it was caused by other outside forces.)

Blessings,
Omar

Old 10-04-2013, 05:15 AM   #11484
ebijack
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : tom

[QUOTE=DjPorkchop;2646531]Hello everyone. Long time lurker, firs time poster in the UDS thread.I built my first UDS.
In my case, I put the cap on the rear vent at 200 and closed my valves half way and the temps plumeted well below 200. I then opened the valves all the way and left the cap on and it came up to 200 on the dial (250 i would guess). And there it sat. I then took the cap off the back vent, closed my valves half way and she leveled out at 225 on the dial, again I'm sure not accurate. I actually found myself chasing temps for a better part of 5 hours.
Decisions decisions. This is my first smoker ever and by the end of the day of seasoning, I was plum worn out chasing temps. Any good tips or advice?[QUOTE]
Every smoker is about air flow control. If your chasing temps, your tending it too much. Make a change and wait till it stabilizes. It sounds like you started with too many lit coals, and ended up choking off the fire and them fighting to get the coals going again which can take awhile to stabilize. That is also something that changes a bit with each smoker and you have to learn how many to lite for your smoker. How big is your coal basket, is it off the base of the drum, Your stand pipes might be to restrictive for your drum, should be easy to remove and try again just to verify. A lot of variable's with every drum design. Don't give up. Did you do a high temp burn yet?
ebijack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-04-2013, 10:18 AM   #11485
rifraf
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjPorkchop View Post
Hello everyone. Long time lurker, firs time poster in the UDS thread.

Hello great looking drum there DjPorkchop. Just curious if you may have restricted air flow issue? Do you have the 2" bung hole open on the top of the lid as well as your 4 stacks or just the 4 stacks. The four stacks has a area of 1.76625 inches. I only run with a the two inch exhaust which has an area of 3.14 inches. Almost double the size of just the 4 stacks. My temps settle in at about 275 with my one inch ball valve open half way and the other two caps closed! I use royal oak lump from Menard's because i can get it at just under 3 bucks during the Memorial Day sale! I start my fire with a weed burner which should be equivalent to about a half to a full chimney full of lit coals. Also if I would need to i can run the temp up to 350 or even 400 with just the ball valve. Just dont give up do a few more practice runs till you figure out what works best for you. Also dont be afraid of a temp swing of 20 or 30 degrees either direction. Once you learn your beast you will love it and the family will love the great q!!!

achieving that sweet blue

two butts with some MOINK Balls

Old 10-04-2013, 01:33 PM   #11486
BenCA
Found some matches.

Just getting started but, you get the idea.

BenCA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-04-2013, 03:22 PM   #11487
Lowki
Full Fledged Farker

what he said, we built 3 and i have to say seamless is the way to go. i can get about 14-16 hrs on a load of coal. It is a bit of a hassle getting the grates in and out but thanks to a tip from a fellow brethren member and competitor we now just use 18" grates on top of our 22 and have no problems loading and unloading. Good luck and happy smokes.

Old 10-05-2013, 02:05 PM   #11488
shovelrobert
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default another FNG joining with ideas.

I've been reading and planning like all new guys, coming up with all kind of ideas,but after reading the first 100 pages of the thread, the last 100 pages and going back to page 100 and reading a couple hundred more I've built a plain simple UDS, no welding till I added the axles, and a really ugly coal basket, (no measuring, just torched holes in ash pan to bolt a 12"expanded metal basket 3" above it). After my first cook attempt I added a second long stem thermometer and I'm running near 100* difference between the center and outside of drum,I thought it was junk thermometers but when I slide the long one out they are reading close to the same. I gathered a lot of good ideas from you all,I wish I could remember who posted everything so I could give you credit

Last edited by shovelrobert; 10-05-2013 at 05:09 PM.. Reason: moved title
shovelrobert is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-05-2013, 02:10 PM   #11489
shovelrobert

IMG00277-20131005-1448.jpg
maybe I can figure out how to post a picture

Last edited by shovelrobert; 10-05-2013 at 03:46 PM.. Reason: change picture

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-05-2013, 02:29 PM   #11490
shovelrobert

I did weld a chain link to my nipple caps after I lost one, it gives you something to grip it by too, I think this was the only idea I had that wasn't in the text unless it's between page 300 and 600.
The axles are 1/2 " black pipe with a 7/16 nut welded on each end,
The thermometer mount is a 1/4 barb X 1/2 brass fitting mounted to the drum with a 1/4 X 1/2 bushing
so I can cap the bushing when the thermometer is removed.
IMG00274-20131005-1136.jpg
IMG00275-20131005-1137.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG00248-20130929-1050.jpg (53.2 KB, 654 views)
File Type: jpg IMG00265-20131005-1011.jpg (62.7 KB, 653 views)
File Type: jpg IMG00267-20131005-1012.jpg (54.4 KB, 652 views)
File Type: jpg IMG00269-20131005-1027.jpg (74.9 KB, 654 views)
File Type: jpg IMG00270-20131005-1028.jpg (53.8 KB, 653 views)

Last edited by shovelrobert; 10-05-2013 at 02:37 PM.. Reason: added more text

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker