MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-04-2010, 07:08 PM   #1
allboy
Full Fledged Farker

Default UDS Brisket Project

I'm doing a couple briskets on my drum smoker this weekend for a friends wedding reception. I have not used the UDS for brisket yet. I do have a few concerns.

Should I use a drip pan? I have had my coals get greased bad by picnics/butts in the past. It seems to put out the coals.

Can I do 2-14lb.ers on the top rack?

Should I foil the Briskets when using the UDS?

Should I turn/flip the Briskets?

How many hours do you think these will take at 255? I know the UDS's tends to Q a little faster then other cookers.

Does anyone know of a good thread on UDS Briskets? I took a look but Didnt find any real good ones.

Sorry for all the questions, but I dont want to screw this up
allboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2010, 07:18 PM   #2
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Well, given a choice, it isn't wise to cook for an important event on equipment you haven't used before with the quantity and type of meat you describe.

That being said, here is a very good video on cooking a brisket on a UDS by Bigmista which may be of help to you.

http://bigmista.com/how-to-cook-a-br...y-drum-smoker/

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2010, 07:28 PM   #3
allboy
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks....seen the video. I have BBQ skills so it wont be a disaster and I do have many flight hours on a UDS but not with Brisket. Just lookin for a few tips from those who do Brisket often on the UDS.
allboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2010, 07:52 PM   #4
Steve_M9
Full Fledged Farker

If you have any other way of cooking the brisket on a piece of equipment you are experienced with for an important event such as this...DO THAT!

If you must use UDS...right or wrong....here are my thoughts.

Go hot and fast. If you have the mind set you will cook at a high temp...you won't go crazy trying to manage the temp o the UDS. Also, I feel it is important to turn the meat to keep it "even". Do a search for Thirdeye Brisket. He starts out at a low heat and lets the temp rise as the cook goes on. Barbefunkoramaque does the same thing(or has admitted to it at least once). I have done this on a UDS and it works great.

Wrapping helps a lot on the UDS as it is very easy to dry it out. For this occasion, I would be more worried about final taste and texture than the appearance of a great bark.

oh yeah...just sayin'
Steve_M9 is offline   Reply With Quote