Building a 42" Brick Pizza Oven & Grill.

You and me both.

On another note i will never buy mesquite chacoal/lump anymore, i was stuck with a 40 pound bag, but now its done. I filled the weber chimney with the mesquite and lit it up on my gas grill side burner. WOW $hit everywhere, sparks, debris, ash. Im done with mesquite.

Just catching up on your progress. Very inspiring!

I've been looking at building something in my back yard. Seems like there are a lot of pre made ovens out there that you just put ontop of a foundation. Supposedly if the deminsions are off the oven won't work as well. What did you use as a guide to build yours?

Just catching up on your progress. Very inspiring!

I've been looking at building something in my back yard. Seems like there are a lot of pre made ovens out there that you just put ontop of a foundation. Supposedly if the deminsions are off the oven won't work as well. What did you use as a guide to build yours?

Sorry for the late response. If you are buying a premade oven you wont have to worry about anything. But if you are building from bricks then yes there is a calculation you must go buy in order to ensure proper functioning and proper air flow/draw. When you get serious about starting this project i highly recommend you surf around the Fornobravo site and download the building plans.

Here are some more from today, got the oven walls up to 400-425. Today went pretty well i guess. I got down the method pretty well. The charcoal chimney starter worked like a charm, lit up a few pieces of wood then constantly added wood, every 2 minutes i would throw in a piece inside, worked pretty well. The fire was constant and never went out in the chimney starter, i used scrap 2x4 wood at first then switched over to Hardwood/Mulberry.

2dlivcj.jpg

2cycjk.jpg

Threw in some Mulberry to dry out for the next firing.

v5a6ft.jpg

And here are the cracks thus far.

xoljxd.jpg

Some more pictures from the weekend.

Finished the BBQ pit walls & floor.

i4keig.jpg

Since i have sooo much for the beautiful bricks we created a planter/brick wall. Made a form to pour a concrete footing.

24cuxbl.jpg

Concrete poured.

2dh8cqf.jpg

Three rows of brick laid

111rq4j.jpg

Man I love this stuff! From a mini WSMs to heavy metal offsets to outdoor recreation areas to these great outdoor cooking areas with wood ovens and pits. Where else could the common thread of BBQ and outdoor cooking come together than this forum?

Sorry for the late response. If you are buying a premade oven you wont have to worry about anything. But if you are building from bricks then yes there is a calculation you must go buy in order to ensure proper functioning and proper air flow/draw. When you get serious about starting this project i highly recommend you surf around the Fornobravo site and download the building plans.

Thanks for getting back to me. I've joined Fornobravo's foeum and have been lurking mostly. I've seen your threads. There's ao much info out there it's confusing. I'm currently reading Kiko Denzer's "Build Your Own Earth Oven" (which was reccommended, and ia better than I thought it would be - but not what I want).

Anyways, I dont want to hijack your thread. Great build! Did I understand you correctly that you're using Fornobravo's plans?

Thanks for getting back to me. I've joined Fornobravo's foeum and have been lurking mostly. I've seen your threads. There's ao much info out there it's confusing. I'm currently reading Kiko Denzer's "Build Your Own Earth Oven" (which was reccommended, and ia better than I thought it would be - but not what I want).

Anyways, I dont want to hijack your thread. Great build! Did I understand you correctly that you're using Fornobravo's plans?

No worries at all. Let me know when you plan to build and i can help you through it. Ive looked thru the plans but its not needed. Its good to skim through it to make sure you have everything down and materials in order. However you will learn mostly from the forum and talking to other builders.

With a form you'll be 100% certain how high the dome ceiling will end up at.

Check out this famous builder's method which looks pretty sloppy but he uses a sand form in this set of photos. I like that refractory liquid mortar he pours over the entire dome. Seems like his whole build procedure saves a lot of time.

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archiv...errara-first-in-nyc-slideshow.html#show-87711

Yeah, the dome itself is usually built and designed around the entry and vent location / design already in mind. What's critical is the ratio of the dome ceiling height to the dome entry height. Hot exhaust gas first exits out the entry and then rises up and out into the vent and flue.
You can basically build a dome with a simple entry and no vent. Fresh air enters through the lower area of the entry while the hot gases exhausts out through the upper portion of the entry. You can singe your eyebrows if get too close to the entry though...

I just opened this link (I knew I had skipped over a couple of them and thought I'd go back and check 'em out. I also had a chance to read Thermal Mass'es Thread. All good stuff... Thank for posting!

Back