First Draft - Site Map for Smokin' Up A Storm

I can see it from here. I don't know if space allows but how about putting the teams closer to the turn in. It doesn't say which end is north so I'll just say by looking at it 'up' is 'north' etc...

Put the teams where the vendors are on the southern side of the map, if space allows and have your 'southern' vendors where the teams are currently placed. I don't know how far the walk is from where the current teams are set up to the turn in but I'd put the teams closer to turn-in IMO.

Agree with SteerCrazy

I cook alone and the distance between competitor spots (particularly the low numbered ones) to turn-in would make this a real challenge. :faint2:

I agree with comp spots being closer to the turn-in location.
Also with all that space why a limit of 25 teams? Looks like it could go to 40 easily.

I can see it from here. I don't know if space allows but how about putting the teams closer to the turn in. It doesn't say which end is north so I'll just say by looking at it 'up' is 'north' etc...

Put the teams where the vendors are on the southern side of the map, if space allows and have your 'southern' vendors where the teams are currently placed. I don't know how far the walk is from where the current teams are set up to the turn in but I'd put the teams closer to turn-in IMO.

Moving the team spots closer isn't really an option on this site. The location for the teams is set by where the RV/electrical/waster/waste connections are.

What about a turn-in tent at the cooking sites and a shuttle vehicle that moves the boxes from the turn-in tent to the indoor judging area?

I cook alone and the distance between competitor spots (particularly the low numbered ones) to turn-in would make this a real challenge. :faint2:

I will include a space on the entry form for solo cookers who would like to have a runner volunteer.

ccfg_site_plan_v1sm.png

I agree with comp spots being closer to the turn-in location.
Also with all that space why a limit of 25 teams? Looks like it could go to 40 easily.

I'm trying to keep it down to a manageable size since this is my first BBQ competition as an organizer. The other open areas don't have any sort of hook ups. Long extension cords and water hoses would be required to set up more site (not impossible). If the response from teams is big enough, I may increase the number of entries available.

Dates have changed to July 13th & 14th due to scheduling conflicts.

Moving the team spots closer isn't really an option on this site. The location for the teams is set by where the RV/electrical/waster/waste connections are.

What about a turn-in tent at the cooking sites and a shuttle vehicle that moves the boxes from the turn-in tent to the indoor judging area?

No, that is not an option. When KCBS accepts the box and if there is a problem like dropping they are regulated to drop all appearance scores and the that box is awarded the highest appearance scores given in that category. So if you have any problem in transporting this will have to happen. A LIABILITY that can be side stepped.

As a competitor we do not want our boxes shaken from getting a drive on a cart. A drive back to the site is welcomed.

Why not make sites closer with the understanding that there is now electric and we can run our own generators and cut your entry fees for that.

Why not make sites closer with the understanding that there is now electric and we can run our own generators and cut your entry fees for that.

The distance from site 1 to the current turn-in is a moderate speed two minute walk. Many other comps are a much longer walk. I can move the turn-in point closer, but I really don't want a maze of electrical cords and hoses all over the place, which is what would happen if I moved the comp sites.

No hookup fees are in the entry fee, those costs are being paid for by a sponsor. 100% of entry fees minus KCBS Fees will be paid in prizes.

I'm assuming then your vendors are not going to have electrical?

Why is a two minute walk to turn-in an issue? Many comps require a much longer walk. How long is the walk at the American Royal from the furthest site? (A lot longer than this one, that's for sure).

Why is a two minute walk to turn-in an issue? Many comps require a much longer walk. How long is the walk at the American Royal from the furthest site? (A lot longer than this one, that's for sure).

You cannot be serous, your comparing your first year contest to the AR. :crazy:
You keep saying that 2 minutes isn't far. I would say in Oklahoma the average is less than a minute away. Looking at this map and your new updated map looks to me like this is going to be a vendor weekend with a little BBQ. Why not move the farmers market to that area where the teams are and put the comp folks beside turn in. Electric is great but your can get a generator and cables. Then if your trying to not have that expense I understand but give the cookers the option just like your vendors to run a generator.

First off... I have no say about the farmer's market or flea market. They are pre-existing weekly events that are not part of the comp. Second... are YOU serious?? You're quibbling about one minute difference in walking distances???? Not a problem... I'll happily assign high numbered sites to people who are concerned about one minute or less walk to turn-in. As far as comparing my comp to the AR? That was one example of a long walk, there are many others that have more than a minute walk too, and you know it. I'll consider reworking the map, even though I've only heard a couple objections to the "long" walk. BTW, as far as having lots of vendors... I polled a lot of teams on several forums and the over-whelming response was: have lots of vendors of all types.

Glad to know you have done your home work about your contest. Reading the responses from alot of cookers its more than just one opinion that you might look at the distance. If it is a 2 minute walk thats doable, now add the crowd and all the vendor booths to weave thru, the crowd that is normally there for the farmers market, and yes some one has to bee the last one in the row of cookers.

You are doing the right thing by posting on the Brethren cause these folks have been thru alot of what your asking. Glad to see you adding more spaces for comp cookers.

Good luck with you venture and stop by this weekend and cuss and discuss this. See you south of the border.

Back