OC BBQ Festival

ToddM

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Anyone ever gone to this? I read on the website that they keep the public away from the competitors and this would eliminate one of the biggest reasons why I would want to go - to talk to the teams, see their rigs and to get a feel for a competition.

I know some brethren will be competing but how is this for someone that just wants to attend? I know, there's BBQ and beer, how can it be bad, right?

I plan on going. But if they are trying to keep the public away from competitors, that sounds ridiculous. I hope that is not true, as I want to sample some Q and meet some teams.

I attended last year as a spectator. From what I remember, they had fencing marking off each competitor's site like the one below:

IMG_6525.jpg

For the most part, it was quite easy to talk to competitors and with their permission, look at their smokers.

Yes there are. I believe (don't quote me on this) that they were $2.50 each or 5 for $10. I remember, you get one ticket with paid admission.

Go...
Have fun...
You can chat and meet competitors...
It's a great event...

We did this event last year as a BBQ Competitor, and will be back again this year.

The picture above shows the fencing that is in place. We (the BBQ Teams) and provinding samples to the public, so there is interaction.

If you were to ask me to come around and see our operation, I would be happy to (as long as it was AFTER 1:30pm)

Last year, there was 60+ bbq teams and more than 10K people there.

I think the BBQ Taste tickets are $2.00 each.

It is a GREAT event for a GREAT cause!

Stop by and say hi.

Pete

Pete's Firehouse BBQ
Temecula, CA

Awesome! Thanks guys! I already have a vacation day approved for the day before the event, just in case my boss has any shenanigans up his sleeve wanting me to work on Saturday.

I moved my annual BBQ blowout to the next weekend just because of this.. I'll be there. Wanted to compete this year, but with work & school didn't have time to get a team together. Hope to say hi to fellow brethren there.

I'll be there competing and doing PC as well, stop by and say hi.

Chris

We've been competing & doing People's Choice since the first year of this event. It's one of our favorite contests, with a great event promoter so we look forward to it every year.

If you want to talk to teams, go on Friday afternoon / evening. As with any contest, this is when things are calm.

Saturday will be insanely busy for any team sampling food at this event. We had a line a hundred long from 10 am until we ran out of food at 5pm. Won't have time to say hi to you on Saturday.

It's a great event, though. Just be aware that lines can be long to get samples because 10,000 people might show up. If you know that going into it and you bring water and wear shoes you can stand in all day long, you'll be ok.

Back