Ugh - Tri tips overdone

Eujamfh

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Cooked some tri tips on the Kamado Joe Jr this evening...figured about an hour since the temp was about 250....nope. Checked at 45 minutes and they were medium done at 145-150ish. Bummer. Little pink on some, but not the way we like them

Tasted great..sorry no pics...but man I hate it when I don't hit the right temp.

At least it didn't get well done. I did some steaks a few weeks ago and the small one went to 160.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I have a new way (to me ) to cook tritip. Sous vide to about 117-123 for about 7 hrs. Then throw on the weber to sear all sides...... perfect and fairly tender. I will try overnght SV next time.

I have a new way (to me ) to cook tritip. Sous vide to about 117-123 for about 7 hrs. Then throw on the weber to sear all sides...... perfect and fairly tender. I will try overnght SV next time.

Why throw it on a Weber? Just blast it in the oven. It's not BBQ.

Sounds like you need a thermometer with a programmable alarm on it.

Yeah I read a bunch of threads when I cooked my first tri-tip, and saw multiple reports of them taking 2.5hrs to reach searing temp. Mine took 30mins! Thankfully I caught mine before it overcooked, then put it in the fire for some searing. It turned out awesome!

And "why use the weber" :: 'cause you can't get fire like this in your oven!

4PTJ7pSh.jpg

wt1MbRrh.jpg

XxCJxUQh.jpg

At times like these, you save it for family members who like "Well Done".

That's right, bung it back in the fridge. It will keep for weeks. When that Aunt or Uncle shows up and you hate cooking them a well done steak etc, you just break those Tri Tip out and show them how much you care! :heh:

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
At times like these, you save it for family members who like "Well Done".

That's right, bung it back in the fridge. It will keep for weeks. When that Aunt or Uncle shows up and you hate cooking them a well done steak etc, you just break those Tri Tip out and show them how much you care! :heh:

I have several of these family members that I'd like to "give away" if anyone is looking to adopt. I've stopped making them filets when they want them "butterflied and well done" and made them sirloins. They seem to like dry, tough, needs A-1 to be digestible steaks. Sometimes I think Sirloin is too kind, and they should be getting round steak from an ancient milk cow.

Dice it and make chili or slice it and make cheesesteaks

As long as your mistakes are edible, it's all good. :-D

I've goofed at least as many times as I've declared success.......it's what keeps us cooking. :-D

Never cook it that way, but there's a place in Santa Clara that does them with no pink at all and it's fantastic. Line out the door on tri-tip Tuesday.

Back