MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Old 09-14-2018, 05:59 PM   #1
Gibbs
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Using a warming Cabinet

So we are taking the plunge on a restaurant. I do not have any experience using a warming cabinet. Any of you guys that uses these; any tips? How long do you normally hold meat? Any trick you’ve found that makes your finally product better or worse from using the warming cabinets. I’m looking at an electric insulated cabinet. Temp goes up to 200. Thank you for any comments!!

Old 09-15-2018, 11:50 AM   #2
poorolddan
Full Fledged Farker

Know they are for maintaining temp not heating cool food. So everything needs to go in hot. You probably will not use the 200* setting but more like 150*. At that level and with your containers well sealed you should maintain moisture and see several hours of holding time with not too much loss of quality. IMO
poorolddan is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-15-2018, 12:00 PM   #3
Heffneil
Found some matches.

That seems to be the way most BBQ restaurants are doing it. They cook, store in holding cabinets - not sure if they are proofers or just holders but would be good to figure out. They take out a brisket and slice and put back or use it up until they need another.

Questions I wonder: Are the briskets wrapped? I think at Franklins they are in paper. I wrap my briskets when I cook until the end in paper so I would keep them. I Don't know how they keep the ribs and pulled pork. Do restaurants pull all the pork and store another way? I am very curious. I have aspirations to have a food truck and go out once or twice a week just to see people smile :)
Heffneil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2018, 02:03 PM   #4
nachos4life
Take a breath!

we use one in our food trailer. We have held briskets and butts for like 20 hours. that is pushing it a bit but it still works without too much quality loss. we regularly wrap briskets and butts in a food film and then foil if holding for more than a couple hours. It works for our style of bbq.

Old 09-19-2018, 08:13 AM   #5
sarth67
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Sarth67

Franklin's may not be the best example they seem to serve non stop until it is all gone. They may use a warmer but I doubt that much meat goes back into it. Cut serve till it is gone grab the next
sarth67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2018, 03:49 PM   #6
BRTLATJGT
Knows what a fatty is.

Franklins will have the briskets resting 10-14 hours in warmer before serving.