Rib-O-Lator Installed On My BUFORD Drum Smoker..

SmokerKing

is One Chatty Farker
Ordered the Rib-O-Lator a month or so ago and finally got time to install it.
Test run video after tacking the ports in place. Once I remove the stake rotisserie, I can cap the ports.

Got to find time to use it now!

YouTube - VID00001

Great setup and now you have got me wanting one, phooey, another fight with the Old Lady over spending more money that she thinks I do not need to spend. Oh well, as we said in Vietnam, this hill is worth fighting for.

Ditto. Did it come with those set screws or did you drill out the holes to make them bigger. That is an important upgrade.

I bought the Rib-O-Lator, battery/AC powered motor and the 27" rotisserie kit. The kit comes with all the motor mounting hardware, stake, handle, weight, collar, etc.

I drilled the drum to fit 2) 3/4" threaded NPT nipples. I cut one nipple in half to make 2) short threaded nipples and tacked them into place. I then centered the stake through the nipples and attached the hardware for the stake holder and motor.

When I'm done, I remove the shelves, stake, etc. and use a 3/4" threaded cap to cover the port holes.

I had the old type wing screws that striped out. I called Rib O Later and they sent me the new set screws. He said they all come that way now. I believe the threads are standard so you could probably get them at home depot, if you didn't want to wait.

Big Mack

I have a drum with B-O-B's name on it rusting in my back 40, if he wants to roll this way!

Love your setup, but I've resisted the temptation to go into a drum with the ROL, unless I find another 85 gallon barrel!

Smokerking, how far down on the sides did you drill for the pipe fittings?. Are you using a Webber lid on yours? I have a ROL that I have been using on my 22.5 kettle but since I have an extra drum hanging out in the basment I might just build another UDS for the ROL.

A couple questions:

It seemed to be running pretty fast, is there a speed control? if so what was that set on?

also, no offense,...but that thing seems LOUD! was that the case? or was it a sensitive camera?

thanks!

Mine is not quite that loud but I use a different motor. If I had to guess alot of that was resonance from the drum.

Smokerking, how far down on the sides did you drill for the pipe fittings?. Are you using a Webber lid on yours? I have a ROL that I have been using on my 22.5 kettle but since I have an extra drum hanging out in the basment I might just build another UDS for the ROL.

I have a cone top on this one;

conedone.jpg

The cone top has a 1 1/12" band around it to capture the drum. Not quite enough room to place the nipples/stake above the first expanded ring of the drum so I lowered it just below the first expanded ring so I could get a flush surface for the nipples and the mounting hardware. The ROL is just flush with the top of the drum when it rotates.

Holes are about 4" from the top.

A couple questions:

It seemed to be running pretty fast, is there a speed control? if so what was that set on?

also, no offense,...but that thing seems LOUD! was that the case? or was it a sensitive camera?

thanks!

No speed control, I'm sure it will lug down with some meat on the trays. It's a 25 lb motor that can run off batteries or AC.

That motor doesn't sound at all like what was recorded by the camera, very odd. Believe me it doesn't sound like that when it's running.

Ditto. Did it come with those set screws or did you drill out the holes to make them bigger. That is an important upgrade.

Sorry, misunderstood your questions on the screws. They're allen head set screws on the spiders that are secured to the stake.

There is a stake bushing on the handle end for the stake to rotate on the bracket. That is a small phillips head screw.

Back