• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.
A question:

What would be a good digital thermometer?

I've seen them all over the web... but prices range between 25.00 USD to 150 USD.

A question:

I've seen them all over the web... but prices range between 25.00 USD to 150 USD.

Are you looking for a probe or a remote?

I have a Mav ET 732 for remote. Saving up for a Thermapen.

New too the Brethen , Thought I'd post a pic or two. I still have a couple of things to do before it's done.

Attachments

• DSC02179.jpg
    DSC02179.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 794
  • DSC02181.jpg
    DSC02181.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 801
  • DSC02183.jpg
    DSC02183.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 798
A question:

For an instant-read, the Thermoworks Thermapen is pretty much universally regarded as the hands-down best choice. Thermoworks also makes a not-as-fast mini probe version and a pen version as well. I have an $18 CDN ProAccurate which is a decent choice if reading speed isn't a problem. It can be calibrated and seems to hold accuracy very well, just takes 8 to 10 sec to lock in a temp.

Insofar as meat and pit temp probes go, People love the Maverick ET732 which has two separate probes for pit temp and meat temp with a wireless remote receiver. The Maverick ET85 has both a meat and pit sensor on the same probe (just one cable) but no wireless remote function. The ET85 probe is also fairly thick at the base where it reads ambient pit temp and it may not fit through some openings or mods specially installed to pass probes and cables into the grill or smoker.

There's a wide variety of meat-only probes, but I don't know that it's really very efficient to go that route when you could grab an ET85 and have both functions for around the same cost.

Are you looking for a probe or a remote?

I have a Mav ET 732 for remote. Saving up for a Thermapen.

I would not prefer a remote one... I like sitting having a beer whle watching the smoke coming out of the UDS.

I'm talking about something like this:

$(KGrHqZHJDgE+BBK0kB2BP5)mg)L5g~~60_35.JPG

But I'm not asking about price per se... I'm talking about performance... what would be better?

Thanks

People love the Maverick ET732 which has two separate probes for pit temp and meat temp with a wireless remote receiver.

That would be what I'm looking for... the wireless receiver would be an "extra" feature for me... I'll check it out.

I would not prefer a remote one... I like sitting having a beer whle watching the smoke coming out of the UDS.

I'm talking about something like this:

$(KGrHqZHJDgE+BBK0kB2BP5)mg)L5g~~60_35.JPG

But I'm not asking about price per se... I'm talking about performance... what would be better?

Thanks

I have a Thermoworks along those lines as a backup / 2nd meat monitor that's very inexpensive but does a great job. Model TW306B. Simple controls, temp alarm, easy to read, and magnet on the back so it'll even stick to a steel UDS. $20

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/ThermoWorks-Original-Cooking-Thermometer-Timer/dp/B0019R4HQQ/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1354847457&sr=8-2-fkmr0&keywords=thermoworks+TW306B"]ThermoWorks The Original Cooking Thermometer/Timer: Amazon.com: Kitchen & Dining[/ame]

Same here. I love coming in and smelling like smoke too. Of course, no one else does.

The receiver is a nice option in case you have other things to do like make sides, mow the grass, solicit the love of a woman.

Here is my finished (for now) uds. First cook is today.

Attachments

• IMG_0782.jpg
    IMG_0782.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 655
I have 2 closed barrels saved up with a "T" design I had my heart set on: (http://jmillerid.com/wordpress/category/55-gallon-drum-smoker/) however I'm not that talented.

But after seeing your approach I think that's a lot easier and probably what I'll do.

What you trying to say ? I'm lacking in talent ? heh heh . I saw this guys build before started mine ,he did a nice job on it , seemed like more time and effort than I wanted to put into it . I just finished it today I hope to try it out this weekend , Hell I just want to eat some good bbq ! We better be careful here its not a uds and we might get in trouble for posting in the wrong thread or highjacking ! Good luck east coast brother !

Attachments

• DSC02185.jpg
    DSC02185.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 897
  • DSC02187.jpg
    DSC02187.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 896
What you trying to say ? I'm lacking in talent ? heh heh . I saw this guys build before started mine ,he did a nice job on it , seemed like more time and effort than I wanted to put into it . I just finished it today I hope to try it out this weekend , Hell I just want to eat some good bbq ! We better be careful here its not a uds and we might get in trouble for posting in the wrong thread or highjacking ! Good luck east coast brother !

HAHA!

I'm just thinking it's gotta be easier to cut the straight lines for the design you picked rather than the precise curvature needed for the "T" design so the barrels sit correctly on top of each other.

And rest assured, my drums are ugly. :) I've got not artistic ability at all.

Back