• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

How much apple juice?

qapla

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
OK, I looked through several threads/post that recommended using apple juice in the reheating process for pulled pork shoulder.

However, no one said how much to use per amount of pork. :confused:

I smoked two shoulders today for a gathering tomorrow. When I reheat them, how much apple juice should I use? (They are from a cryo-two-pack from Sam's Club) I am planning on heating them in either an electric roaster or a slow cooker.

We will be at the gathering for some time before it is time to eat so I can't just heat it at home in the oven and run over there - we have to travel about 35 miles, shortly after noontime, then we will eat about 4:30-5:00.

All suggestions accepted. :thumb:

Thnx

Enough to dampen it without making soup. You just want to make sure it is moist. You will have to eyeball it. No more than a cup to start with for sure.

2 butts in a steam pan with about 1/2 to 3/4 cup(little more if it does not steam) of a 50/50 mix of apple juice and water covered and sealed with plastic wrap. Reheat at 250-300 degrees depending on how much time you have. Reheat the pork to 165 degrees, the plastic wrap is good up to 350 degrees. You want enough apple juice to create a steam effect and the plastic wrap to seal it up where the moisture will not escape, it will probably take a couple of hours, you can give the meat a turn ever once in a while to speed the process. Keep an eye on it, works well for me, good luck!

Did you save any of the original juices?
Reheating with apple juice makes the pork taste like.....well, apple juice.
Pork is usually fairly moist and doesnt need much if you save any of the original juices.

YMMV.

Just a splash of apple juice or vinegar I like adding some of the rub I used in the cook -heat in a cast iron skillet. Try to keep the bark from getting soggy.

Thanks all.

There were no juices left in the smoker when it was pulled and none came out when I broke it down off the bone.

I will keep the liquid down to a minimum. Just a thought, does 1/2 apple juice 12/vinegar work? White vinegar or apple cider vinegar?

BTW - didn't get any chance to get pictures, but the smoke ring was at nearly 3/4" deep. Preliminary taste test was great. Smoked it over charcoal with Hickory chunks mixed in. They were in the converted ECB from noon till 7 PM.

BTW - didn't get any chance to get pictures, but the smoke ring was at nearly 3/4" deep. Preliminary taste test was great. Smoked it over charcoal with Hickory chunks mixed in. They were in the converted ECB from noon till 7 PM.

That's some fast cooking pork and deep ring. How was it after the juicing?

I tried something different this time. I filled the charcoal bowl about half full. Then, I placed some Hickory chunks on. I then finished filling the bowl with the charcoal.

When I needed to add more charcoal fuel, I stirred the ashes ti uncover any remaining embers and again did the charcoal, hickory, charcoal thing. It seemed to work better then putting the wood on top.

The meat is reheating as I type. I will report later how it came out. The preliminary taste test from last night while I was demolishing them was great.

i stopped using the pan method and switched to reheating in vacu-suck or oven bags. Put the pork in a bag, seal it, and drop the bag in boiling water till hot.

A 2 gallon bag holds a whole pulled butt with room to spare. Put it in a bag, drop in a pot of hot water and they are hot in about 10 minutes without drying out.

ON EDIT: before someone pounces. :) Despite what ziplock says..... Ziploc 2 gallon freezer bags DO WORK. Ziploc says the bags are not made for the extreme heat, but i have not had a problem using the 2 gallon ziplocks in a pinch when I dont have the oven roaster bags. I cant say the same for the smaller sandwich bags(that are thinner). I have not used those. I do prefer using the roaster bags though.

The vacu-suck bags have no problems at all.

Since the venue where I had to take the pork did not have boiling water and I didn't vac-pak the meat, I went with what I had - an electric roaster.

Musta worked OK since I cam home with an empty pan, lots of compliments and full people. :clap2:

Thanks for all the help.

Thanks all.

There were no juices left in the smoker when it was pulled and none came out when I broke it down off the bone.

I will keep the liquid down to a minimum. Just a thought, does 1/2 apple juice 12/vinegar work? White vinegar or apple cider vinegar?

I use 2 parts apple juice to 1 part apple cider vinegar

Back