MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-02-2011, 11:05 AM   #16
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cook View Post
You'll notice Ed never calls his ribs "bbq"...so it really shouldn't matter how he cooks them to you guys. In Eastern North Carolina where Ed Mitchell is there is only one form of barbecue...ribs, chicken, any type of beef...well they do not fall into that singular category.
The Rendezvous doesn't call their ribs BBQ either.

Old 08-02-2011, 11:07 AM   #17
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warthog View Post
I found their ribs not so good. Kind of dry. The BBQ Shop blows them away.
So if that is the result of fast and hot I will stay with low and slow.
I bet the NC ribs are pretty good.

Old 08-02-2011, 11:14 AM   #18
smokeyw
is One Chatty Farker

You got that right brother!! I love it all but BBQ here is whole hog cooked low and slow. This song says it all.
Dailymotion - The BBQ Song - a Travel video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cook View Post
In Eastern North Carolina where Ed Mitchell is there is only one form of barbecue...ribs, chicken, any type of beef...well they do not fall into that singular category.

Old 08-02-2011, 11:19 AM   #19
Dustin D
Full Fledged Farker

Well here's the man himself;

‪Ed Mitchell's BBQ at the 2007 Big Apple BBQ Block Party‬‏ - YouTube

Old 08-02-2011, 12:38 PM   #20
JS-TX
is Blowin Smoke!

It sounds like a high volume restuarant rib technique; foil/steam the chit out of the ribs and then firm them up on the grill and then put a heavy layer of sweet sauce on them. Not saying they aren't good just different. I saw how Texas Road House makes them on the food network, very similar process but they almost boil them. They say it's a 3 day process... right. Those ribs I can say I don't like. The meat is gray.. as in boiled flavorless gray.

Last edited by JS-TX; 08-02-2011 at 01:31 PM.. Reason: typo
JS-TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2011, 12:57 PM   #21
smokinmikes
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeyw View Post
You got that right brother!! I love it all but BBQ here is whole hog cooked low and slow.
You're right. And it gets chopped to death. SCNB, White Swan, Holt Lake...It's all good, but all the same.
smokinmikes is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2011, 01:43 PM   #22
smokeyw
is One Chatty Farker

I beg to differ my friend. I would say that all of these commercial BBQ restaurants have similarities. However, if you want "the good stuff", you have to cook it yourself or have someone cook it for you that knows how. It is an art and restaurants don't take the time to do it right because of the volume they deal with (even if they know how).

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinmikes View Post
You're right. And it gets chopped to death. SCNB, White Swan, Holt Lake...It's all good, but all the same.

Old 08-02-2011, 01:57 PM   #23
smokinmikes
Found some matches.

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. 99% of the stuff around here tastes the same. Whole hog, gas pig cooker, slow cooked, chopped to death and sauced with a vinegar variant. It's good, but it ain't mine
smokinmikes is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2011, 02:17 PM   #24
Bamabuzzard
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Yeah, that's what I'm saying. 99% of the stuff around here tastes the same. Whole hog, gas pig cooker, slow cooked, chopped to death and sauced with a vinegar variant. It's good, but it ain't mine
That is why once *you* learn how to do it yourself the Q that comes from your cooker is better than what is served in a restaurant. Restaurants do not have the luxury of putting the *love* into each individual piece of meat like the backyarder does. Most cook for the masses and with anything dealing with large numbers. The larger the number the lower the quality gets.

www.doubledsbbq.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Double...12864168786570
Stumps Baby Gravity Feed Smoker
Backwoods Patio Unit
Char Griller Offset for grilling
Bamabuzzard is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-02-2011, 03:56 PM   #25
Cook
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jay

Quote:
SCNB & White Swan are fast food variants of barbecue. What do you expect? LOL

Holt Lake is a poor example of barbecue. Sorry you had to suffer through that one.

Yes, the bbq in NC is chopped fine. That is a regional thing. The fine chopping allows the thin vinegar sauce to flow throughout the meat. Pulled bbq doesn't give you the same effect.

Find you a good traditional joint that still cooks over wood. You won't think "they all taste the same" anymore.
Cook is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2011, 07:17 PM   #26
Rocco05
Knows what a fatty is.

Some of the big names in BBQ do ribs hot and fast. Ed, Famous Dave's, Rendezvous, etc. I like my ribs done low-n-slow, with a char on the end of the process. At the end of the day it's all about making delicious food to eat with a good craft brew, quality whiskey, or nice glass of wine.
Rocco05 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2011, 10:17 PM   #27
Ole Man Dan
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Throw Down

I watched the Flay VS Mitchell 'Throw down'.
I think Mitchell apparently cooked 'Direct Grilling' with wood. (High Temps.)
Flay apparently pre-smoked his ribs. I couldn't tell if Bobby Flay was cooking on the fly or not. (Against the law in many states, don't know about N.C.)

Every once in a while I get up to N.C.... I need to eat some of Mitchell's ribs to see for myself.
Ole Man Dan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2011, 06:55 AM   #28
Cook
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Man Dan View Post
Every once in a while I get up to N.C.... I need to eat some of Mitchell's ribs to see for myself.
Go to The Pit in Raleigh (or their upcoming Durham location) and sample the ribs Ed taught them how to cook...but Ed isn't with The Pit anymore.
Cook is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bobby flay, ed michell, ribs