MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-16-2007, 06:59 AM   #316
jazzspot
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meat Burner View Post
Farm supply hardware stores in our area...do you have something like that close. Ask for 55 gal burn barrels. Hope that might help you find one.
Thanks Meat Burner, I'll check the Yellow Pages and see if there are any around my area. Do have names of any farm supply stores that may do business in my area?
Exceptionally Accurate and Fast Red Thermapen
[/FONT]
jazzspot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2007, 09:31 AM   #317
tntitan

briskets on the barrel how many hours

Old 06-23-2007, 09:58 PM   #318
tntitan

here is more on ugly drum smokers

Old 06-25-2007, 04:02 PM   #319
Bottles 'n Bones BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Welp, did some camping down at Truman Lake this weekend with five other families...22 folks total, a Yellow Lab and a half Pit Bull half Whippit chuck huntin' machine of a dog.

Took the trashcan along since no one mentioned what we were cooking on. Got there and found Smoky Joe and a standard issue forest service open pit concrete & steel HD grill...(not that there's anything wrong with that, but it was HOT outside). She chugged along all weekend even with various people constantly lifting the lid...Cooked with 50/50 lump and briqs. I dumped about beercan's worth of ashes out before putting it on the truck Sunday.

Saturday...20 ears of unshucked corn on the bottom grate with 4 large foil packs of taters 'n onions on the top grate along with 30 brats cooked, wrapped and holding. Oh, and an 8 pack of dogs for the crump snatchers. All on a something I can lift in an out of the pickup easily, bad back and all.

Thinking about modifying the bottom grate(s) with notches so they'll easily pass by the bolts that hold the top grate instead of having to angle it out. CLICK...or, maybe try a heavy duty butler tray hinge, drop~leaf hinge type set up for the top grate...

Hmmmm.....might just work.

Came away from the weekend with supplier of lined barrels, if & when needed (cultured marble products company, FYI). Also traded my spare SS hardware and notes for the angle iron and the welding on a new charcoal basket. I'd have given them up for free, but he offered first...

As of yesterday afternoon there are now 5 friends, 1 park ranger and 1 Benton county deputy spreading out around the Ozarks looking for barrels. It's craziness I tell ya...craziness.

Sorry for the long windage, but she sho' did shine this weekend...
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=#008000][B]Large BGE[/B] [COLOR=black]named Rhona[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=black][B]WSM [/B][/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=black]Trashcan UDS[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=black]Former Klose BYC owner (sniff sniff)[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=navy]**************************[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=navy]Ignorance killed the cat. Curiosity got framed.[/COLOR][/FONT]
Bottles 'n Bones BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-25-2007, 04:16 PM   #320
Thawley
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottles 'n Bones BBQ View Post
Thinking about modifying the bottom grate(s) with notches so they'll easily pass by the bolts that hold the top grate instead of having to angle it out. CLICK...or, maybe try a heavy duty butler tray hinge, drop~leaf hinge type set up for the top grate...

Hmmmm.....might just work.
Yet another brilliant UDS design idea.

No fair teasing us with the long shot of that lid, though. We need CLOSE UPS of the velocity stacks...

Thawley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-25-2007, 04:49 PM   #321
Bottles 'n Bones BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

I knew a girl named "stacks" once...sadly, no pics .

'Pologies Thawley...I'm not the best photo guy, and I'm not sure my digital camera is from this century or not. It was a gift, possibly a re~gift...
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=#008000][B]Large BGE[/B] [COLOR=black]named Rhona[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=black]Former Klose BYC owner (sniff sniff)[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=navy]Ignorance killed the cat. Curiosity got framed.[/COLOR][/FONT]

Old 06-25-2007, 05:35 PM   #322
Thawley
Take a breath!

Those are SOOOOoooooo bitchen. Stainless allen screws, to boot. You're my kinda guy, Bones.

What's a application/source for the stacks? Motorcycle? Hot Rod Briggs&Stratton? You gonna put red, rubber balls in'em like the sprintcar guys do when the engine's not runnin'?

Pretty trick, man.

Old 06-25-2007, 10:44 PM   #323
Bottles 'n Bones BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks man...Nope, no application to speak of. Pops wouldn't come off any of the stacks I know that he's got stashed in his garage for his MG. I picked these up off Ebay for 7 bucks or so.

I've been thinkin' about getting some of those dual stack covers. Maybe two sets, cause I'll probably melt the first set.

Wish I could have found a way to make 6 or 8 of 'em look cool on the lid of a barrel...maybe I'll side draft 'em next time??? It might not cook any good or draft worth a damn, but it'd look cool...!

Old 07-10-2007, 10:10 PM   #324
rlic80
Knows what a fatty is.

Default My first attempt...

This weekend I'm going to begin my first attempt at building one of these beauties! I picked up my first barrel from the guy who posted in Recycler. He had several empty food grade barrels (all with the interior lining, having contained apple juice concentrate). He sold it to me for $25, which I thought was fair considering its proximity of location. I opted to only get 1 barrel this time around since this wil be my first attempt at fabricating a smoker.
Currently, I am planning on using an old fireplace grate for the firebox (it's slots are thin enough for lump char), and bolting pipes to the sides for ventialtion (probably 2-3 at 1/2" - 3/4" a piece). I think I'll also drill 4 - 1/4" holes on the lid (in a tight square formation) and mount a pipe fitting over it for my upper exhaust (I'm thinking it will be a 1" diameter pipe that goes over it). I have no welding skills, so I am going to attempt to do this all with drills and bolts.
I'm little nervous about burning off the inner lining with potential heavy fire and fumes, but I'll be sure to post pics in the coming weeks as I build it.
Thanks everyone.
rlic80 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2007, 10:41 PM   #325
Thawley
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlic80 View Post
I'm little nervous about burning off the inner lining with potential heavy fire and fumes...
Yeah, I've heard enough stories about neighbors and fire trucks to keep me from doing a big, hardwood burn in my back yard... I ended up using a Harbor Freight propane torch. Much cleaner.

In your neck of the woods, I'd guess you could also take it down to the beach and burn it in.

Old 07-11-2007, 01:47 PM   #326
Bottles 'n Bones BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Hey Thawley...Any idea what kind of temps that 3M vehicle wrap can take? Do ya think the sides of a UDS are too hot?

This is gettin' out of control...LoL

Old 07-11-2007, 01:52 PM   #327
Thawley
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottles 'n Bones BBQ View Post
Hey Thawley...Any idea what kind of temps that 3M vehicle wrap can take? Do ya think the sides of a UDS are too hot?
Pretty sure that stuff is about the same as most vinyl. Maybe try a few vinyl stickers on it first. We had a guy at the SoCal bash last month with USMC stickers on his pellet smoker and they looked alright....

Old 07-11-2007, 02:23 PM   #328
Grillman40
Full Fledged Farker

Thats cuz USMC stickers wont burn!!

Lang 84 Deluxe w/drum grill addition
WSM
Bar-B-Chef Grill
Stainless Bar-B-Chef built in
Stainless Gran Turbo Gasser built in
86 Gal Monster Drum in da works

Retired U.S. Marine
Grillman40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2007, 06:26 PM   #329
rlic80
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thawley View Post
Yeah, I've heard enough stories about neighbors and fire trucks to keep me from doing a big, hardwood burn in my back yard... I ended up using a Harbor Freight propane torch. Much cleaner.

In your neck of the woods, I'd guess you could also take it down to the beach and burn it in.
Thawley...what exactly did you do with the propane torch? Just burn off the interior lining? I might be able to get access to one and if that is simpler and quicker than a barrel burn, I'd gladly welcome it.
rlic80 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-13-2007, 07:43 AM   #330
AlabamaGrillBillies
is one Smokin' Farker

When postioning the first Food Grate. Does it need to be 24" from the bottom of the charcoal basket, ie 24" from the bottom grate, or 24" from the top of the charcoal basket, ie where the top of the pile of coal would be.

Matt Pair, member of the AlabamaGrillBillies Cookteam and Catering company. 24x54 Offset stick burner, 18" WSM, UDS, Mutiple Weber Kettles and a 22" WSM on the way.
AlabamaGrillBillies is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker