• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Rubs and Sauces

IowaWildHogsBbq

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
What do you guys think are the top 5 rubs and sauces that are being used by top competing teams? Getting my game plan on for the upcoming season. Seeing if it is more cost effective to buy stuff premade or keep making my own which take alot of time and money. Dont get me wrong I enjoy making the stuff but just like to cut cost a little bit.

Blues Hog sauces all 3 ,Slabs products rubs and sauce, Marinades from Smoke on Wheels ,Plowboys rubs , just off the top of my balding little head.

there are waaaaay too many winning combinations and processes to box into a top 5.

i use commercial rubs from oakridge, obie cue, home bbq, smoking guns, williams, etc....

i use commercial sauces from blues hog, slabs, head country, etc...

i use commercial injections/marinades from butchers, kosmos, SOW, etc...

i ALSO use home made stuff in combination with these.

my best advice would be to try ALOT of different combos and see what works for you and your cooking. there's quite a bit of direction given here @ the brethren, but in the end, it's up to you to find your top 5.

good luck and enjoy the journey.

Blues Hog, Smoking Guns Hot, Plowboys, Cowtown,Slabs, Cimmaron Doc's, and FAB. I have 20+ rubs and 20+ sauces on my shelf, would be hard to get down to just 5. As a rule of thumb, I usually figure if the sauce is sold in gallons, and the rub in 5-7lb containers, it is pretty popular.

Happy Hunting
ML

My guess on the Top 5, in no particular order:

Blues Hog Original
Blues Hog TN Red
Smokin' Guns Hot
Head Country Sauce
Cimmarron Doc's Rib Rub

My favorite would be anyone of them that wants to sponsor my first year KCBS team :becky:

Otherwise I am always experimenting and seem to always go back to Oak ridge rubs or Plowboys and all of the Blues Hog

I would guess the majority are commercial considering how often the top teams cook. That in mind, slabs, blues hog, butchers and obie are probably up there.....with good pecan smoke

Rubs: Cowlick, Dizzydust, and Tsunami Spin (all Dizzypig), 3Eyez bbq rub

Sauces: Q (Tuffy's commercial sauce), head country, blueshog, big bob gibsons

Homebbq.com rib rub
Slabs amazing glaze
Bobby q's nice rack sauce
Smokin ALS sauce
Willie bs bourbon rub

Team Oakridge BBQ had a pretty good year...

• One Year
  • Eighteen BBQ Teams
  • 95 Professional, Sanctioned BBQ Contests in states all across the USA
  • 10 First Place calls in Pork (22 Top-three calls)
  • 4 First Place calls in Chicken (17 Top-three calls)
  • 2 First Place calls in Ribs (8 Top-three calls)
  • 1 First Place call in Brisket (4 Top-three calls)
  • 51 Overall contest placements in the top ten
  • 3 Reserve Grand Champions
  • 6 Grand Champions
  • 216 Total Top-ten Awards!!

For those who are reaching for your calculators, that's an average of 2.27 top ten calls per contest!

A good start:

Rubs: Simply Marvelous, Plowboys
Sauce: Blues Hog, Head Country
Marinades/Injections: Stubbs, Butcher's

Oak ridge rubs , Fab injections, Sweet beaver sauces!

Back