MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Closed Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 01:02 PM   #661
DUBBAGA
is Blowin Smoke!

I think this will work

http://www.myfoxla.com/story/2502743...uRruQ.facebook

Humphrey's Long Weekender, UDS, Red Box Smoker, SJS/Tamale Pot Smoker, Weber Performer, Weber 18.5 OTS, Alton Brown Flower Pot Smoker (died), Blue Ember Gasser (died}

Member of the Hall of Zero's (Noobians v. Veterans Throwdown)

Old 03-20-2014, 01:07 PM   #662
Offthehook
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeps View Post
The timestamp on the graphic, not the time on the video slider...
Got it, thank you!

The segment looks good, now if Saturday can come sooner.

Old 03-20-2014, 08:02 PM   #663
jimbloomfield
Full Fledged Farker

Great Video showing Bigmista some Love and noticed he used a little Popitude.

Old 03-21-2014, 07:24 AM   #664
Big George's BBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : George

Friday AM Bump
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD

Thanks from: --->
Old 03-21-2014, 05:31 PM   #665
DUBBAGA
is Blowin Smoke!

It's 3:25pm and Bigmista is probably setting up at Santa Anita right now.

As has been mentioned previously, he was added as team #69 for the contest. Ironically, team #70 (listed just below him) is Trojan BBQ.

Hopefully he does well at the comp, and gets to walk the stage, as the more exposure for Bigmista can only help the restaurant. I will be very disappointed if there are no GoFundMe handouts visible at his site

http://www.gofundme.com/6ok0tc

(looking forward to meeting Bigmista, MrsMista, gtr, Offthehook, jketron, Tonybel and any other Brethren that will be in attendance)

Humphrey's Long Weekender, UDS, Red Box Smoker, SJS/Tamale Pot Smoker, Weber Performer, Weber 18.5 OTS, Alton Brown Flower Pot Smoker (died), Blue Ember Gasser (died}

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-22-2014, 07:27 AM   #666
Big George's BBQ

Morning Bump
KCBS

Old 03-22-2014, 08:22 AM   #667
Offthehook
is One Chatty Farker

Happy Saturday, heading out to play BBQ. See you guys there, I'm wearing a black hog heaven shirt.

Old 03-22-2014, 04:54 PM   #668
gtr

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUBBAGA View Post
It's 3:25pm and Bigmista is probably setting up at Santa Anita right now.

As has been mentioned previously, he was added as team #69 for the contest. Ironically, team #70 (listed just below him) is Trojan BBQ.

Hopefully he does well at the comp, and gets to walk the stage, as the more exposure for Bigmista can only help the restaurant. I will be very disappointed if there are no GoFundMe handouts visible at his site

(looking forward to meeting Bigmista, MrsMista, gtr, Offthehook, jketron, Tonybel and any other Brethren that will be in attendance)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offthehook View Post
Happy Saturday, heading out to play BBQ. See you guys there, I'm wearing a black hog heaven shirt.

Oh man - y'all are there? I got there early, filled up and split!

I was figuring we should try to coordinate if anybody else was headed that way, but I had an action packed week and basically didn't plan anything ahead. Next time something like this is happening, let's be in touch about meeting up.

I know I'm biased towards Neil 'cause he's a cool dude and I already know and love his food - and for full disclosure I've put some $ into his restaurant - but I think I can lay the bias aside and say that his food was by far better than the other food I tried out there. Frankly, I was a little shocked at some of the food that was getting put out by some of the other folks. I had a friend with me who agreed whole heartedly.

There was definitely some good stuff - had some great brisket and ribs at a couple of spots, but I also had a fair amount of food that I couldn't believe was being served. I may have missed a couple of good spots but I think we did a pretty thorough scouring of the place. Some places got the tenderness but not the flavor, a lot of them didn't get the flavor or the tenderness, but Neil had it all come together to great effect. We hit his stand early on and had to hit it at the end to cleanse the palette.

Neil was doing turn-ins so I didn't wanna get in his hair too much - or scalp, as it were. Here's one of his crew checking briskets on Olivia J. Pima (with the new doors!).

50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?

Old 03-22-2014, 08:01 PM   #669
DUBBAGA
is Blowin Smoke!

Just got home, and had a great time. Excellent to meet Offthehook and jketron, and a very brief hello to Bigmista who was very very VERY busy (dang that man had a massive line of people waiting to eat some REAL. GOOD. MEAT.)

I can't wait to see the results from Santa Anita, as they aren't posted as of 6pm PST

Based on the popularity of Bigmista's BBQ as witnessed today, his restaurant will be a hit

(ps: MrsMista you are in trouble for being a no-show today )

Old 03-23-2014, 11:52 AM   #670
gtr

And back to page 1 we go - bump!

50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?

Old 03-23-2014, 12:33 PM   #671
DUBBAGA
is Blowin Smoke!

Haven't yet seen the results for the PC portion of the event, but Bigmista did a good job with the KCBS comp portion:

Overall 19/69 and placed in the top 1/3 of 3 of the 4 categories

Old 03-24-2014, 08:38 AM   #672
Big George's BBQ

Monday Morning Bump
KCBS

Old 03-24-2014, 10:29 AM   #673
Offthehook
is One Chatty Farker

Nice to meet you Scott and the other guys who could make it out. I was able to scoot away after turn ins to check out the rest of the event. Just as I expected the lines for bbq were INSANE. I was able to say hi to Neil and even tricked my mom into waiting in line for almost an hour for pig candy. I lost all my bets for the horse racing as well.

I heard they sold 80,000 tickets for 1$ so someone made some money this weekend. Unbelievable how popular BBQ has become and the line for Bigmistas was crazy.

Highlight of the weekend was some Arron Franklin brisket from Texas Friday night and an 8th place ribs call. Another fun BBQ weekend in the books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUBBAGA View Post
Just got home, and had a great time. Excellent to meet Offthehook and jketron, and a very brief hello to Bigmista who was very very VERY busy (dang that man had a massive line of people waiting to eat some REAL. GOOD. MEAT.)

I can't wait to see the results from Santa Anita, as they aren't posted as of 6pm PST

Based on the popularity of Bigmista's BBQ as witnessed today, his restaurant will be a hit

(ps: MrsMista you are in trouble for being a no-show today )

Old 03-24-2014, 10:43 AM   #674
gtr

^^^congrats on the call! I was there durning turn ins, therefore I didn't go around hollering at anybody since it was go time for the KCBS teams. We get there pretty early and hit the PC vendors early on and got out before it got too crowded.

Anybody know the results of PC? I've done some looking around and can't find them. The voting seemed a little odd - just blue slips of paper in a stack that anybody could pick up any amount of and fill out. Based on what I saw, Neil had the consistently biggest line, and, as I said before, easily the best food that I tried there.

Speaking of Neil, y'all may have heard he's raising money to build out the front of his restaurant. Been a few days since a new contribution has been made. Thanks to all who have helped Big Mista with his dream of a restaurant and everybody else's dream of a good spot to eat at!

Link is here:

WTFWGALD?

Old 03-24-2014, 10:56 AM   #675
Offthehook
is One Chatty Farker

I could not find the actual results online but unfortunately Neil did not win peoples choice even though he had the longest line for sure from what I saw. The team that did win (forgot the name) had a bunch of good looking girls. Who knows if that played into it at all lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
^^^congrats on the call! I was there durning turn ins, therefore I didn't go around hollering at anybody since it was go time for the KCBS teams. We get there pretty early and hit the PC vendors early on and got out before it got too crowded.

Anybody know the results of PC? I've done some looking around and can't find them. The voting seemed a little odd - just blue slips of paper in a stack that anybody could pick up any amount of and fill out. Based on what I saw, Neil had the consistently biggest line, and, as I said before, easily the best food that I tried there.

Speaking of Neil, y'all may have heard he's raising money to build out the front of his restaurant. Been a few days since a new contribution has been made. Thanks to all who have helped Big Mista with his dream of a restaurant and everybody else's dream of a good spot to eat at!

Link is here:

Closed Thread