MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-29-2013, 04:28 PM   #1
fatty
On the road to being a farker

Default Bandera replacement thermometer -best positions/types...(what she said hahaha)

Folks,
I would like to replace my bandera original thermometer and i was wondering what the best option is to put in the door where the old one was. I was thinking a tel tru with a 4 inch probe...I will also have a small one on a string that I keep in the chimney, I might also drill a hole and put a digit probe in or another thermometer.
what have you done to your banderas...I have searched but no definitive thread...maybe we start one now...
Thanks!
fatty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-29-2013, 05:18 PM   #2
Georgiaboy98
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Scott

I need to do that too. One of these days I will rebuild my Bandera. But I just built a UDS so she is on the back burner again.

Old 10-29-2013, 06:00 PM   #3
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

I dont have a Bandera but I just bought this River Country for about 1/2 the price of the Tel Tru and its very nice.

It even has an adjustment screw on the back if you need to fine tune the calibration

its very heavy and well made ss unit

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Member Great Lakes BBQ Assn
ServSafe Food Handler Certified
[URL]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Custom-Que/327994370697180?sk=timeline[/URL]
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-30-2013, 05:31 AM   #4
fatty

Hey Butt burner...it looks nice, and cheap to boot! haw is it working so far...any other comments...
Thanks

Old 10-30-2013, 06:48 AM   #5
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatty View Post
Hey Butt burner...it looks nice, and cheap to boot! haw is it working so far...any other comments...
Thanks
its fine or I would not have mentioned it
Member Great Lakes BBQ Assn
ServSafe Food Handler Certified
[URL]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Custom-Que/327994370697180?sk=timeline[/URL]
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-30-2013, 09:37 AM   #6
DownHomeQue
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : DHQ

2nd for the River Country Thermos.. have had mine on my large offset for well over a year.. and no problems here

[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148660[/URL]

250 Gallon Offset Build (2012)

[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=211078[/URL]

600 Gallon Offset Build (2016)
DownHomeQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-30-2013, 11:01 AM   #7
bvbull200
Take a breath!

Another vote for the River Country thermometer. I placed mine in the location that the original was in. I then put the original down about where the heat enters the chamber. I don't know why other than "just because". I guess it looks neat.

Two holes on the side and a magnetic tray for the Maverick and its two probes:

Probes run through little corks to seal up the holes when in use. This is before paint, but gives you an idea of the concept. Works beautifully:

Old 10-30-2013, 04:56 PM   #8
fatty

Bvbull200 nice work... I was thinking something very similar... when you are cooking what do the gauges say, what is the temp difference between them all.

Thanks

Old 10-30-2013, 04:58 PM   #9
fatty

also what size stem is your therm the 4 inch?

Old 10-31-2013, 12:30 PM   #10
bvbull200
Take a breath!

Quote:
Bvbull200 nice work... I was thinking something very similar... when you are cooking what do the gauges say, what is the temp difference between them all.

Thanks
I usually cook at a level pretty close to where the top gauge is. When I'm still a ways off from the IT mattering much, I use the food probe as a pit probe and put it on the side of the meat nearest the firebox. I always put the actual pit probe near the meat, but on the side opposite the firebox.

When the pit runs pretty steady, I'll get no more than about a 5-8 degree difference across all 3. The door gauge was calibrated before installing and has been tested once since then and it was still spot on (ice/boiling water test). It is every bit as accurate as my Maverick and I trust it much more. The Maverick has gone crazy on me a couple of times, but I can always be confident in the analog. The only downside is that, as an analog gauge, it reacts a little slower compared to a digital thermometer.

The bottom gauge, however, I couldn't tell you. It is the one that came with my Bandera and did test accurate. I think it reads a little higher than the others since it is right where the heat is entering the chamber, but I honestly never pay it any mind. I mostly put it there because I had it and I could.

Hope that all helps.

Quote:
also what size stem is your therm the 4 inch?
It is the 3". Plenty big, in my opinion, but if you wanted to spring for the 4", that'd work, too.

Here it is on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Old 10-31-2013, 03:27 PM   #11
fatty

BVBULL200 thanks for the info fantastic! I am sold on the river country...Might get 2 and drill another hole for it...or go the maverick type set up you got there...thanks so much!
any other comments on your bandera Therm mods!

Old 10-31-2013, 04:15 PM   #12
markdtn
is one Smokin' Farker

I had a big TelTru in mine.
markdtn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-31-2013, 06:23 PM   #13
fatty

nice and how do you like it

Old 11-01-2013, 06:52 AM   #14
markdtn
is one Smokin' Farker

I liked it very much. It was accurate and large enough that I could look at a glance from inside the house or across the yard and see what the temperature was. Hard to see in the photo, (and may not be in this photo) but I put 225 degrees straight up. That way if I could see the needle, I knew what the temp was. Of course that is only 1 temperature and it is hotter below and cooler above. I learned how to use that temperature to estimate the racks below and above. Many people will tell you that 1 thermometer is not enough and that one is in the wrong place etc. and they are technically correct. But to me BBQ is more feel than an exact "70 minutes at 250 degrees" kind of thing. I could use that temperature and some experience with that cooker to decide if I had too much fire or not enough.
markdtn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-01-2013, 10:26 AM   #15
bvbull200
Take a breath!

Quote:
BVBULL200 thanks for the info fantastic! I am sold on the river country...Might get 2 and drill another hole for it...or go the maverick type set up you got there...thanks so much!
any other comments on your bandera Therm mods!
If you plan on getting a Maverick, you'll see diminishing returns on a second analog thermometer, in my opinion. You'll learn pretty quickly what the temp difference is on different racks with the Maverick so that the temp at a second fixed point won't be as important. It is like what mark said about learning his pit. Once you figure out the temp difference throughout the pit, you only really need the one reading to tell you what the rest of the pit is at. A second analog gauge is just redundant information. Hope that makes sense. It's less than $20 to add a second River Country, so if you want to do it anyways, it isn't going to cost you much.

The only thing I wish I would have done differently is put the holes for my Maverick probes just above the middle rack instead of just below. It would have made it easier to run the probes in to the chamber and put them on the middle rack or higher without having to go through the middle rack. 2 inches higher would have made a big difference.

Good luck.