MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-22-2011, 06:00 PM   #16
caseydog
somebody shut me the fark up.

Start with a frozen turkey, and just drop it in.

Okay, don't do that.

I have the burner part of a turkey fryer, but the top part of my rig is made for seafood boils. However, I have assisted in the frying of several turkeys using my burner and other people's turkey frying gear.

That black on the pot is from unburned fuel, which seems natural with the yellow flame. Something isn't right with that rig. You should be able to get a mostly blue flame.

TURN THE BURNER OFF when you go to lower the turkey into the pot. Once it is in, and settled, you can re-light the burner.

Turn the burner off when you lift the bird out, too. Those are the two most dangerous parts of frying a turkey.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-22-2011, 06:13 PM   #17
Rubmybutt
Full Fledged Farker

I have been deep frying birds etc. for 20+ years and COMMON SENCE is your friend, fire is not. First I agree you got a gas delivery issue, thats why the bottom of the pot is so black already. I inject all birds, Cajun Injector is my staple, 16oz in every bird, hit with Cajun shake and into a small garbage bag. Suck out the air and tie off, into the fridge for up to a week, take your friends with you when you rotate 180 degrees, like a fine bottle of wine. I made a pulley system like Alton Brown, I like it a lot, save the fingers and the instant the bird is in the oil up to it's azz I put a grease spatula, that thing you use on the stove to stop grease from splatering, works very well as I cook in my shed, right at the door and never had a fire. I use birds 10-12 lbs.

This is the good part, when I take them out of the oil, I usually do six at a time, three go into a large food service stainless pan, add a pint or quart of chicken stock and stuff in the oven at 200 degrees for 6-8 hours covered.

When they come out all the meat is cooked right down to the bone. Take the stock that is now black as coal, put it in a big skillet, bring to a boil and mix up a batch of cornstarch/cold water in a shaker and start adding untill you get the consistancy you like, season as you wish, I like Head Country. I garontee you'll the gravy and the bird just don't taste bad ether!
Fast Eddy 100-Backwoods Competitor- Backwoods Extended Party-Cookshack SM-160 Weber Smokey Mountian 22.5-New Broanfels offset-Fire Majic Aurora 660A-Weber Genisis (1979)-Weber Genisis 330-Weber Performer-Weber kettle 22.5
Cajun Injector turkey fryer
Fastest [COLOR=darkorange]ORANGE[/COLOR] splash-proof Thermapan BBQ Guru WIFI.
Just one my first chili cookoff Dec 1st 2012
Rubmybutt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-22-2011, 09:09 PM   #18
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by grilling24x7 View Post
Another question: I have a 3 gallon box of frying oil blend. 3 gallons enough?
Take your turkey and put it in your pot and fill with water. Take the turkey out and see how much water is left. I would think that 3 gallons would be enough.

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-23-2011, 08:33 AM   #19
Ole Man Dan
is one Smokin' Farker

I use a stand for turkeys.

TIP #1. Put the turkey in a clean plastic bag and put the turkey
inside your pot, add water until you are about 3" from the top of the pot.
Remove turkey and mark on the side of the pot the water level...
That's how much Peanut Oil I use,to avoid having too much.

Tip #2. My pot's lid didn't have a hole for a thermometer, so I drilled a 1/4" hole, so I can monitor the temp. while heating the oil faster.

Tip #3. Coat the bottom of your aluminum pot in dish detergent.
Most of the time the black on the bottom of the pot will wipe off easy...

I use a Lodge 'Lid Lifter', and a Welding glove while I'm 'S L O W L Y'
putting the turkey in the oil.

Last edited by Ole Man Dan; 12-23-2011 at 08:36 AM.. Reason: add another tip...
Ole Man Dan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fryer, gas, turkey