MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-22-2013, 07:00 AM   #46
muidaq
Full Fledged Farker

Those offers were 2.5 years ago.

Old 07-22-2013, 07:23 AM   #47
dwfisk
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by muidaq View Post
Guess, i need to wake up & have my first couple cups before responding

Old 07-22-2013, 07:52 AM   #48
BBQ Bandit
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Bandit View Post
Here's an option that will only cost you some meat... that would assist you in your thought process?

If you desire to play with a stickburner... how about a live demo learning and burning on a Lang?
Drop me a PM to arrange a time to drive down, set-up, throw some meat on a Lang... and play with some fire.
Quote:
Originally Posted by muidaq View Post
That statement may be old... but my offer's still valid.
No expiration date.

Former smokers;
Lang 84 Deluxe kitchen, Lang 60 Mobile - The Damsel II, Lang 48 Patio - The Damsel, Bubba Keg Grill - RIP, Double Barrel Smoker and a BSKD
BBQ Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-22-2013, 08:24 AM   #49
stephan
is one Smokin' Farker

Did the OP ever buy a cooker? How about an update
stephan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2013, 08:39 AM   #50
BBQ Bandit
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephan View Post
Did the OP ever buy a cooker? How about an update
If I had to venture a guess... look at the OP's signature.

Former smokers;
Lang 84 Deluxe kitchen, Lang 60 Mobile - The Damsel II, Lang 48 Patio - The Damsel, Bubba Keg Grill - RIP, Double Barrel Smoker and a BSKD
BBQ Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2013, 10:25 AM   #51
Damn True
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwfisk View Post
You have had a couple pretty generous offers to get some practical experience, take advantage before you decide. Oh yea, stickburners rule?
FWIW, the offers were made to the OP. I dredged the thread up due to a similar question. Seemed silly to start a new thread.

Sorry for the confusion.

Damn True is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2013, 10:49 AM   #52
GMDGeek
is one Smokin' Farker

I'd ask yourself a couple of questions:

1. Who am I cooking for?
2. How much will I be cooking?
3. Do I ever plan cooking for larger parties?

I started with a combo propane grill / small offset smoker - and within a year decided I did not have enough space and HATED how the cheap pits were a pain to manage temps on.

Then my friend graciously gave me a Pellet Cooker (Traeger Lil Texas Elite) which after a little TLC and some new electronics was up and running. I love that for family cooks I can set it and forget it - sort of. About ever 3-4 hours I have to check to make sure the pellets are feeding correctly. BUT if it’s raining or the wind is a blowing maintaining temp is rough. And again I found that if I was cooking for more than my family it was a bit rough on the size.
Another issue I found with Pellet cookers revolved around electronics. The electronic issues with my Traeger and other stories I've read about people having electrical problems with their Pellet cookers at comps or at events (not all do this especially if well maintained) turned me off and I decided I didn't want to mess with that issue or have to worry about it. Stickburn - no electronics.

I also knew, based on feedback and my BBQ addiction that I wanted to start getting in to Competition and cooking for groups of friends. So researched it and decided on an offset stick burner with insulated Firebox and 1/4". Had looked at some pellet feeders but honestly for me the way a offset cooks rules.

With a $3000 budget you have several options but again it comes down to your preferences, how much you’ll be cooking at a time, if you prefer not having to manage a fire every hour on the hour, and if you want it to be mobile. I’m sure other brethren will chime in as they have done … that is just my two cents though. Find what meets your future needs and go from there.

Old 07-22-2013, 10:53 AM   #53
Limp Brisket
Full Fledged Farker

OP bought a Lang 84 Deluxe a couple of years ago. Great choice I might add.

/thread

Old 07-22-2013, 12:13 PM   #54
Damn True
Full Fledged Farker

My POS COS has a cooking chamber that measures 20"x~31" and though I've filled it pretty well a few times I've never wanted for more capacity. So I'm not looking for anything larger than that. The offset's I've been considering are those in the $1k - $1.8k range from the likes of Lang, Gator, Yoder & Horizon. There is a guy here in CA making a RF offset but I've yet to make it out to his shop (2.5hrs away, http://katbbqsmokers.com/ he makes a 20" RF cooker that isn't on his site priced around $1.5k) to take a look at his work nor have I found any reviews.

I don't know enough about the pellet cookers yet to identify a brand that I'm officially considering. Nor have I seen any of them in person.
Damn True is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2013, 12:26 PM   #55
Billdanc
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Just like most of the brethren on this site, i have cooked on many smokers. I have a stick burner, eggs and a Spicewine medium. That being said, i wish i had known about Spicewine smokers years ago! I would have saved myself a considerable amounts of money! The Spicewine is hands down the the best cooker i have ever cooked on, and i will tell you why. The ease of "set it and forget it" while entertaining guests,and not having to rush outside to make sure your temp is not running away from you,or the temp dropping, as i would with a stickburner is fantastic. I guess you could call me lazy. Next, the cooking capacity is fantastic compared to my BGE's, slide out shelves are a must! Also the ability to use wood chunks instead of splits is financially feasible, i don't live where i have access to large amounts of smoking wood. Last, but not least, is the rock solid construction and awesome insulation and heat retention of the Spicewine! Just my .02 cents. By virtue of the money you are investing, you will get a great cooker, then you will learn to use it like a champ

Old 07-22-2013, 12:32 PM   #56
jasonjax
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jason

Cook for a couple days non-stop literally without adding fuel or worrying about the temperature you're cooking at.

http://www.cookshack.com/store/Smoke...k-Model-FEC100

I bought mine used from a fellow Brethren and regular competitor for well under $3,000 that he had left in pristine condition. Without a doubt the best investment I've ever made for my favorite hobby except maybe for finding this site. :)
jasonjax is offline   Reply With Quote