MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-16-2011, 12:22 AM   #1
RevZiLLa
is Blowin Smoke!

Default Thermometers

I can't see spending big bucks for a thermometer when I can get one of these to measure internal meat temps quickly.

$5.99

http://www.harborfreight.com/instant...ter-95382.html

Or one of these to measure pit temps.

$3.59

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/tayl...abber+Campaign

$8.62

Amazon.com: King Kooker SI1 8-Inch Deep Fry Thermometer: Patio, Lawn & Garden@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/416U9jW9S%2BL.@@AMEPARAM@@416U9jW9S%2BL

Brinkman water smokers (elec and charcoal)
Weber kettle grill
Uniflame Gold Stainless 5 burner propane grill / rotisserie
BBQ Grillware upright propane water smoker
A trench filled with wood coals and covered with chain link fence
RevZiLLa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-16-2011, 12:41 AM   #2
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : John

There are always 'adequate' and 'luxurious' options. There are also some inbetween.
JMSetzler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-16-2011, 12:59 AM   #3
NorCal Q Man
Full Fledged Farker

I can. But I make a lot of money so...

WSM 22.5"
Weber Genesis
NorCal Q Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-16-2011, 01:34 AM   #4
LVBBQMan
On the road to being a farker

My experience is that digital thermometers are more accurate than their bi-metal counterparts. They are also easier to calibrate. finally, I like the quicker reading that you get from the digitals. Not to mention that many of the digitals will transmit temperature signal to a remote readout display. That is nice when you are standing by the pit in 100 degree plus summer weather and would like to go somewhere cool but still be able to monitor your temperature. The same can be said for smoking in sub freezing winter weather. For all of those reasons I think they are worth the extra money. That does not say the job cannot be done with an inexpensive local readout bi-metallic thermometer of the type you show.
LVBBQMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-16-2011, 02:17 AM   #5
RevZiLLa
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVBBQMan View Post
My experience is that digital thermometers are more accurate than their bi-metal counterparts. They are also easier to calibrate. finally, I like the quicker reading that you get from the digitals. Not to mention that many of the digitals will transmit temperature signal to a remote readout display. That is nice when you are standing by the pit in 100 degree plus summer weather and would like to go somewhere cool but still be able to monitor your temperature. The same can be said for smoking in sub freezing winter weather. For all of those reasons I think they are worth the extra money. That does not say the job cannot be done with an inexpensive local readout bi-metallic thermometer of the type you show.
The first link for the $5.99 thermometer is a digital instant read that quickly does the job of items costing 10 times the price. Sadly, they only come in black...

The next two links are for spring operated units that measure pit temp. They are much cheaper than most non-digital pit temp thermometers (also spring operated) and they have longer probes too.

The remote thermometers are convenient and I have used mine a lot for monitoring meat temps. Now that I know my processes well, I seldom need it for monitoring the meat, but may want to stick it into a potato to monitor pit temps. It would be great if it had two probes, but I got it years ago and don't think that was an option then.

Don't get me wrong, toys are fun, but a lot of guys on here are about saving money and still getting great Q.

Weber kettle grill

Old 08-16-2011, 02:21 AM   #6
uproar90
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevZiLLa View Post
The first link for the $5.99 thermometer is a digital instant read that quickly does the job of items costing 10 times the price. Sadly, they only come in black... ...
Serious question... How quick is 'instant'?

I've bought a few of those exact same model; smallish medallion style digi-thermo claiming to be instant.

I've never had one give even 'quick' results. The last one I bought actually took 90 seconds to come up to temp when measured against another therm already @ temp.

@ that price, I'd buy 4 or 5 to keep in the kitchen and around the BBQ stuffs, but only if they were true 'quick read' and gave accurate temps within 6-10 seconds.

Old 08-16-2011, 02:29 AM   #7
RevZiLLa
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by uproar90 View Post
Serious question... How quick is 'instant'?

I've bought a few of those exact same model; smallish medallion style digi-thermo claiming to be instant.

I've never had one give even 'quick' results. The last one I bought actually took 90 seconds to come up to temp when measured against another therm already @ temp.

@ that price, I'd buy 4 or 5 to keep in the kitchen and around the BBQ stuffs, but only if they were true 'quick read' and gave accurate temps within 6-10 seconds.
I haven't timed it, but it is less than 10 and more than 3 seconds. It reads quickest when the probe is deeper in the meat. The downsides are smaller display and you have to be careful not to immerse the head when cleaning. After 4 or 5 years, when it needs a new battery, just toss it.

On edit: I tried it in ice water and it took more like 15 seconds.

Weber kettle grill

Last edited by RevZiLLa; 08-16-2011 at 03:03 AM..

Old 08-16-2011, 05:58 AM   #8
NRA4Life
is One Chatty Farker

You get what you pay for. Good luck with that.
[B]Superior SS-3[/B] - Courtesy of Gainesville Jaycees and Superior Smokers
Custom Built Reverse Flow Stickburner
[B]Weber[/B] 22.5" WSM
[B]Weber[/B] 26.75" OTG
[B]Weber[/B] Blue 2000 Stainless Performer
[B]Weber[/B] Red 1998 Stainless Performer
NRA4Life is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-16-2011, 06:50 AM   #9
El Lobo
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRA4Life View Post
You get what you pay for. Good luck with that.
I agree.

Side-by-side you may get accurate temps compared to high-quality models (Thermapen, Maverick, etc). When you spend hours cooking something and find out your crappy 5 dollar thermometer just gave up the ghost and you've overcooked your brisket, you'll see why many here save a little and buy quality units.

That's just me justifying paying 90 bucks for my Thermapen Rev. My wife still thinks I'm...
El Lobo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-16-2011, 07:51 AM   #10
Fatback Joe
Babbling Farker

When you have 50 pieces of chicken going and you need to give them a "quick check", that extra speed is worth the money.

If the cheaper one takes just 5 seconds longer, that is an extra 4+ minutes if you check them all.

In any case, if it suits your needs and budget, then more power to you.

WSM
Medium Spicewine
Stumps GF223
Humphrey's GF Tank II
24 x 60 Shirley Fabrication
Fatback Joe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-16-2011, 08:10 AM   #11
Johnny_Crunch
Babbling Farker

I don't buy tools from HF either, you get what you pay for......... Not to mention I take pride in buying things that aren't made in China.

Old 08-16-2011, 08:13 AM   #12
5-0 BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Q Man View Post
I can. But I make a lot of money so...
You need to visit our store..lol Sorry I could not resist.
[B]The BBQ Equipment Store[/B]
[URL="http://www.BBQEQUIPMENTSTORE.COM/?sourceCode=bbq-brethren"]www.bbqequipmentstore.com[/URL]
[COLOR=red][B][COLOR=red][B]Proud 2015 Sponsor of Christmas City BBQ, Astro Pigs and Drilling and Grilling[/B][/COLOR][/B]
[/COLOR]No Thermapen Here, I have a Water & Shock Resistant Backlit Maverick PT-100BBQ
500 Gal Stickburner - Backwoods Gator, Red Kamado Joe, Primo Oval XL, Maverick Competition Smoker CS-55 and Many Others
5-0 BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-16-2011, 09:09 AM   #13
Cook
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevZiLLa View Post
Don't get me wrong, toys are fun, but a lot of guys on here are about saving money and still getting great Q.
If that were the case, you wouldn't be spending the $6 in the first place. Save the $$$ and cook w/o the therm.
Cook is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-16-2011, 09:16 AM   #14
Theboz1419
is one Smokin' Farker

from my experince of buying every cheap Thermometer I could find, I spent more money on buying all the cheap Thermometers I could find.

That ended when I bought my ET-73, 3 years ago and it still works as the day I first used it.

What you dont realize is that you will spend more money on 5 dollars thermometers then you will on a 50+ dollar thermometer over the long run.

Old 08-16-2011, 09:26 AM   #15
Seachaser
Knows what a fatty is.

Academy Sports has a pretty good medium price selection of thermometers. Around 10 bucks for a 3 inch pit style. Also, if you have a kitchen type outlet store near you, they have a bunch. You can find them at propane outlets, hardware stores, wally world, and occasionally grocery stores.
Seachaser is offline   Reply With Quote