Brisket Selection

B

Black Dog BBQ

Just wondering what criteria you follow in selecting a brisket. I have cooked many over that last few years with varying success. I cook packers (select) since those are the easiest for me to find at our local supermarkets.

I go through everyone of the briskets and find the one that is most flexible. I actually grab them find the one that bends the easiest. What do you do?

Thanks in advance for you responses.

that's pretty much it. i also poke the underside w/ my finger as hard as i can w/out punching through the cryo to see if there's hard fat in the center.

I look for the ones with the thickest point as well as ones that appear to have the thinnest fat cap (gonna trim most of it off anyway, so may as well get more meat for the weight).

I have a friend that used to be a butcher and the easiest way is exactly what you're doing. Check the flexibilty.

I would have to agree with the flexibility test. This also gives you a chance to see if there are any knife cuts in the flat from the processing plant. I also try to make sure the brisket has a nice white fat on it. Seems the longer they sit there the fat starts to take on a yellowish color.

Back