Cherry Smoked Filet Birthday Roast

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Richard
Last night The Missus and I had a dear friend of ours over for a birthday dinner. I wanted to cook up something special, so I went down the street to our little boutique butcher and picked up a 3lb piece of prime filet, which he trimmed up beautifully:

DSC_0084.jpg

I cut the filet in two pieces, and reserved three good size steaks, which went into the freezer:

DSC_0086.jpg

Then, I made a paste of olive oil, garlic, sea salt, black pepper, and fresh rosemary and thoroughly coated the meat with it:

DSC_0088.jpg

DSC_0089.jpg

About an hour later, I fired up my grill for indirect, and was about to throw in some oak and pecan, but changed my mind as filet is very porous and I didn't want to overpower the meat, so I went with cherry instead:

DSC_0092.jpg

I then put the meat on the cool side of the grill:

DSC_0099.jpg

About 15 mins later, I flipped the meat:

DSC_0107.jpg

Here it is after the internal temp reached 120:

DSC_0110.jpg

Shortly after that, I seared the meat on all sides to give it a nice crust. Brought the roast in and let it rest for 10 mins:

DSC_0114.jpg

Then began slicing:

DSC_0116.jpg

The filet cut like buttah:

DSC_0117.jpg

We served the sliced filet with garlic mashed potatoes and The Missus' famous green peppercorn gravy.

Our friend loved her birthday dinner, and not a morsel of meat was left.

Thanks for checking out my cherry smoked filet!

DSC_0117.jpg

This is so beautiful it is bringing tears to my eyes... What a fantastic fillet and I love your paste. :thumb:

What does it take to become a dear friend of yours? :becky:

Looks great Moose :thumb: I started to wonder if you cooked this in my kitchen as I have the same cutting board and ramekins. The final pics look great but this one had me drooling. Just look at that marbling!

DSC_0086.jpg

DSC_0117.jpg

This is so beautiful it is bringing tears to my eyes... What a fantastic fillet and I love your paste. :thumb:

What does it take to become a dear friend of yours? :becky:

This was EXACTLY what I was thinkin!!! Awesome job! :hungry:

rare to see tenderloin so nicely marbled

Can you believe it was only $8.99 a lb, and for prime? I love this butcher shop - the guy picked out the best one he had, and hand trimmed it for me. He also stocks prime skirt for $5.99 a lb, which is a real treat.

Back