First Cook Brisket**Shot Down**Ideas for first cook

B

breambuster

I recently was given a Bandera as a gift and I posted yesterday looking for cook times on a brisket. I received convincing arguments that I might want to try something else on my first cook. I am open to suggestions given the fact that I will be drinking brewskies while I learn to use the Bandera. Thanks...and if anyone wants tips on how to cook the elusive bream, shellcracker, stumpknocker, sunfish, or bluegill please feel free to ask!!

Butts would be a good way to learn the ins and outs of that new cooker without risking an expensive piece of meat. They're cheap and practically indestructable. If you're looking for a shorter first cook, do some chicken, just take it easy on the smoke wood. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Thanks

Thanks,
I downloaded Bandera 101 and it has all the internal temps for the meats so I guess I could pick what I want and just take it slow and easy... and be sure that I will post and let yall know how it went...Thanks again for the help!!

Good move!

May I suggest a Boston Butt and a couple of Fatties.
They are about as "goof proof" as you can get and you can focus on fire tending and not worry about the meat.
Temps can run from 220 to 325 and you will still get a great meal :lol:

For a shorter cook than a butt, you cant beat some ribs (with a couple of fatties of course).

Also, some chicken parts (with a couple of fatties) smoke up well and easy.

Check the RoadMap for instructions or post away here for details.

First cook or two should be pleasant and not challenging!
Plenty of time for frustration later :redface:

Just some thoughts.

TIM

Thanks Tim, Im not looking for frustration...Had enough of that here at work the last two days...Just watch all the national news and we have been there...So when I cook, just tend the fire and make sure the internal temps of the meat are good?

In addition, should I find a spray or baste to put on whatever I decide to cook (probably the farking butt and fatties) to ensure that they are moist and dont get to dry?

To baste or not to baste.....I think butts have plenty of internal fat and don't need the baste for moisture. I've been using a finishing sauce on them at the end of cooking (last 45 minutes or so) to add an extra layer of flavor...

Actually, I've not really been using the spray bottle much at all recently on anything I've been cooking. I don't know if anyone has mentioned it, but some fatties might be a good thing to cook....:rolleyes:

So what did you cook and how did it come out, Bream???

Arlin

Back