Tri-tip

J

JamesTX

My wife brought home a couple of tri-tips. I only saw this cut for the first time about a month ago and they were premarinated. These are plain.

So, my question is how do you season one of these? Just some steak seasoning, or do you marinate in something?

Thanks.

I have been marinating them in Stubb's beef marinate for a couple of hours. Then I put Montreal Steak season on them pretty heavily. Then I get the BGE up to about 700 and sear each side for about 2 minutes. Then I pull it off and choke the air back on the egg to drop the temp to about 400. Then I put the meat back on and cook to 135 internal. Then I pull it off and let it rest. Slice against the grain... enjoy my new favorite beef cut!!

The Montreal Steak seasoning is a very good choice... I rub the crud out of the Tips then seal in seran wrap... But I always cut the slices with the grain... and with TriTip, the grain pattern changes within the cut... I am curious to know what the difference would be to cut against the grain... ???? Because with the grain, the pieces rarely need a steak knife to cut.

I usually go with basics. kosher salt, pepper, garlic powder, mustard powder and onion powder.

That sounds good - I have some steak seasoning I like, so maybe I'll just try that.

By the way, I've would never have considered mustard powder as one of the basics. Any good?

I have been marinating them in Stubb's beef marinate for a couple of hours. Then I put Montreal Steak season on them pretty heavily. Then I get the BGE up to about 700 and sear each side for about 2 minutes. Then I pull it off and choke the air back on the egg to drop the temp to about 400. Then I put the meat back on and cook to 135 internal. Then I pull it off and let it rest. Slice against the grain... enjoy my new favorite beef cut!!

Is it going to cook fast like a steak?

Does these have another name? I just never see anything labeled "tri-tip" here and thought that there could be something else I should look for. I'd like to try one now. Maybe they just aren't available in Memphis...we do like our pork here! lol

Is it going to cook fast like a steak?

Not really... it takes 45 minutes of so to get 'em done like this.

Does these have another name? I just never see anything labeled "tri-tip" here and thought that there could be something else I should look for. I'd like to try one now. Maybe they just aren't available in Memphis...we do like our pork here! lol

I had to ask around and finally one of the meat cutters at a local Winn Dixie store told me they get them in and cut them into what they call sizzlers. Now I can get them most of the time by asking for them that way if he isn't there.

If you know a decent butcher you can also tell them it is the triangular piece of the sirloin that you get when you denude (sp) the whole sirloin. That worked for me too.

I like to marinate in teriaki sauce (not marinade!) for 4 to 6 hours. Adds to a great bark when it's done.

I'm not a butcher so I asked a friend to explain it. Hope I'm making sense.
He said that Tri Tip is cut from the lion area and is separated from the Top Sirloin. Other common names he knew of were Top Block and sirloin point. Apparently, htere are different cuts, some leving the a mambrane in.

I like to marianate TT in:

Garlic
ginger
soy
sugar
burboun

Go hot for a nice sear then indirect till desired done-ness. you could always marianate 1 and do a rub on 1 and see which you like best.

Funny that someone mentioned tri-tips , because that's what I plan on doing tomorrow. Some nice tri-tip sammies with some tater salad and a nice pickle.. Yeah Montreal is the way to go.

I like to marianate TT in:

Garlic
ginger
soy
sugar
burboun

Go hot for a nice sear then indirect till desired done-ness. you could always marianate 1 and do a rub on 1 and see which you like best.

That's what we use on flank steak, minus the bourbon - throw in some green onions too. Good stuff right there.

That sounds pretty good Gator,ill have to try that with the next one..

The Montreal Steak seasoning is a very good choice... I rub the crud out of the Tips then seal in seran wrap... But I always cut the slices with the grain... and with TriTip, the grain pattern changes within the cut... I am curious to know what the difference would be to cut against the grain... ???? Because with the grain, the pieces rarely need a steak knife to cut.

I've never cooked tri-tip before, but generally cutting against the grain will result in a more tender steak than with the grain. The shorter muscle fibers in the cross grain cut are easier to chew than the long fibers when you cut with the grain. I sliced up two flank steaks last weekend and misread the grain on one of them and it was quite obvious which pieces were which. One melted in your mouth, while the other took a bit of chewing and picking some long strands out of my teeth.

That sounds good - I have some steak seasoning I like, so maybe I'll just try that.

By the way, I've would never have considered mustard powder as one of the basics. Any good?

I picked up the mustard powder from this forum. I like it. I experiment all the time with different spices. I just forget to write down what I use most of the time, and when I really get a good blend, I can never remember exactly what I used.

James,
I just rub EVOO on it and then apply a rub such as Pappy's and let it set for 24 hours in the fridge and then leave it out for about an hour before taking it to the grill for 400 degree direct cooking till it is 128-130 degrees internal at the thickest section and then let it rest in my small picnic cooler for 1/2 an hour to reabsorb the juices and then slice & serve.
If you have an offset I used to put mine in the smoke chamber for a couple hours and then finish off over the open flame.

I've never cooked tri-tip before, but generally cutting against the grain will result in a more tender steak than with the grain. The shorter muscle fibers in the cross grain cut are easier to chew than the long fibers when you cut with the grain. I sliced up two flank steaks last weekend and misread the grain on one of them and it was quite obvious which pieces were which. One melted in your mouth, while the other took a bit of chewing and picking some long strands out of my teeth.

THANKS MAN!!!!!

I will try this on Sunday, my next TriTip Q.. :)

James,
I just rub EVOO on it and then apply a rub such as Pappy's and let it set for 24 hours in the fridge and then leave it out for about an hour before taking it to the grill for 400 degree direct cooking till it is 128-130 degrees internal at the thickest section and then let it rest in my small picnic cooler for 1/2 an hour to reabsorb the juices and then slice & serve.
If you have an offset I used to put mine in the smoke chamber for a couple hours and then finish off over the open flame.

So, this is what I did. Coated in evoo, then rubbed with this - http://www.fiestaspices.com/?page=bbq_unclechrisss . Put on the grill and started cooking. This is where my plan went awry. Because at this point, we started opening the beers and visiting with the guests. End result - well done tri-tip. Still juicy and tasty, but not the way we like it.

So, no pics because I don't need my failures chronicled. But I think I'll try it again.

Back