MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-21-2013, 11:19 AM   #16
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Sure makes me think of cutting 4 holes in my UDS for rebars to hang meat from then find 4 caps to seal the holes for when I use the grates, which will probably be most of the time.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2013, 01:01 PM   #17
Smoke & Beers
is One Chatty Farker

Several years ago, I was in a well know BBQ store in a well known BBQ city and saw that they had for sale, a couple of really sweet powder coated drums, done up by a local competition team that uses UDS's in comps...Fancy with painted flames and all. I popped the lid on one and damn near needed a triple by-pass for what I saw...
1) The dreaded tan liner
2) The price tag sitting on the grate... $650!!!!
Weber One Touch Gold & a Weber 22 1/2" Silver
Traeger Jr
2 UDS's Born 9-19-08 & 3-6-09
Weber Smokey Joe Platinum
[COLOR=red][COLOR=black]Super Fast[/COLOR][B] RED THERMAPEN[/B][/COLOR]

"If you got them by the MOINK balls, their hearts and minds will follow" -John Wayne
Smoke & Beers is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2013, 01:09 PM   #18
Bluesman
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by deguerre View Post
Man. I HATE these CL threads. The State has a block on the website.
The State has a store with a Tilapia Aisle............
2010 Brick Red Touch n' Go Performer
Kitchen stove
Bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2013, 01:10 PM   #19
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

Default Re: Who done it?

Recently in WP someone posted a park grill that was galvanized. I can't imagine. But then i can.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk 2

Proudly Smoking on a UDS, PBC &
Accidental Winner of the 2012 "Saucy" Throwdown.
---k--- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2013, 01:29 PM   #20
Neonnblack
Full Fledged Farker

Galv(zinc) is different, it has a melting point of 800 degrees. I use zinc hardware in my drum.
Neonnblack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2013, 02:02 PM   #21
flyingbassman5
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ---k--- View Post
You realize that is exactly what gets some people's panties in a bunch over Noah and PBC. Drum cooking & hanging meat has been around for a long time. PBC didn't invent it. But they are making money off it.

I don't see any issues with selling them by anyone. It is taking a design that has been around a long time and selling them. PBC makes a nice product for the right price. Therefore i own one. Maybe they tweeked it to get it just right, but lets not kid ourselves into thinking they did something revolutionary here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazybones View Post
Not to start too big of a flame war, but isn't the PBC a knock-off of the UDS? Drums have been cooked on for ages, it's not like the PBC guys invented this amazing new form of cooking. While the guy doesn't need to be selling the drums with the liner, let's not rake him over the coals for making a buck just like the PBC guys.

Oy

I knew that was gonna be the response to my post..

I am NOT talking about the hanging method of cooking or the method of cooking in a barrel. Anyone can do that.

Here is what I was getting at...While the guy IS doing the two methods from above, he is also selling (for commercial profit and gain) a barrel that is 90% identical to the Pit Barrel. Sure a few cosmetic differences exist and it is 55gal instead of 30 but he basically copied the overall design and is now selling them.

Again, I'm not saying that Noah invented the UDS or revolutionized the "cooking with hooks" method or that the PBC is the end all be all of cookers. However, you can't deny that this guy is building something that is oddly similar to the PBC, which Noah owns the rights to. Its just something that I think should be questioned.

Old 02-21-2013, 02:07 PM   #22
Bluesman
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jon

For it to be an infringement, Noah would have to have applied for or received a Patent on the PBC. Copyright covers the name Pit Barrell Cooker, not the design.
2010 Brick Red Touch n' Go Performer
Kitchen stove
Bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2013, 02:26 PM   #23
flyingbassman5
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesman View Post
For it to be an infringement, Noah would have to have applied for or received a Patent on the PBC. Copyright covers the name Pit Barrell Cooker, not the design.
Thanks for the correction and info.

Exactly why I was questioning it. I guess these barrels and the seller are bound to smell like fish forever..

Oh well..

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-21-2013, 03:37 PM   #24
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingbassman5 View Post
However, you can't deny that this guy is building something that is oddly similar to the PBC, which Noah owns the rights to. Its just something that I think should be questioned.
We really don't need to prosecute this more. But, I can't help myself. ... My personal opinion is that Noah should not be able to own the rights to anything in his design. I don't think there is anything in his design that represents a substantial difference or improvement beyond previously existing work. To me, whether your hole is 3" or 2.5" or 2" isn't a substantial difference, etc. Just my opinion.

Regardless. The PBC is a nice cooker at a nice price. I wouldn't have a problem recommending it to people. Same as the WSM. I look forward to using mine more.

I'm moving on.... back to red liners being evil. or are they?? anyone got proof? I vote evil.

Old 02-21-2013, 03:40 PM   #25
rolfejr
Full Fledged Farker

Default Who done it?

Just wondering, has there been any testing or history of a barrel with the liner still in it?

At what temp do the various liners off gas or melt?

Never considered it, but what if.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

[I][B][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Rockin' Robyn's BBQ
[/FONT][/B][/I][LEFT][URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Rockin-Robyns-BBQ-Team/107295966034865?ref=tn_tnmn"]Like us on Facebook! [/URL]
Stop by our website!
[URL="http://www.rockinrobynsbbq.com"]www.rockinrobynsbbq.com[/URL]
[/LEFT]
rolfejr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2013, 03:51 PM   #26
Smoothsmoke
Babbling Farker

Although most UDS are not used at more than 350-400F. Near the charcoal basket would easily exceed that and burn off the liner. Is the liner dangerous, not sure?
A bunch of Webers
Smoothsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2013, 04:01 PM   #27
scummybear
On the road to being a farker

Default Re: Who done it?

I think I'll just stick to unlined barrels myself. Wouldn't want to chance it really. Not hard for me to get hands on unlined so, why bother.

I do think the red makes it sharp. Just too purdy for me. :sly:

Old 02-21-2013, 04:31 PM   #28
flyingbassman5
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
To me, whether your hole is 3" or 2.5" or 2" isn't a substantial difference

Quote:
Regardless. The PBC is a nice cooker at a nice price. I wouldn't have a problem recommending it to people. Same as the WSM. I look forward to using mine more.
Agreed! I love my PBC! Because of that I just wanted to challenge the guy on his barrels. Trust me, my panties aren't in a bind over it. I'm a real man, I go commando.

Quote:
I'm moving on.... back to red liners being evil. or are they?? anyone got proof? I vote evil.
Moved. I vote evil too. I wouldn't be able to cook on it without that thought in the back of my head telling me I'm crazy for doing so. That's just me though..

Old 02-21-2013, 04:33 PM   #29
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoothsmoke View Post
Although most UDS are not used at more than 350-400F. Near the charcoal basket would easily exceed that and burn off the liner. Is the liner dangerous, not sure?
Exactly. Yeah the temp up by the grate is only 200* to 350*, but directly beneath the charcoal basket? Hot.

I use a lot of epoxy concrete anchors and such. I know in these the epoxy starts to get soft starting at like 180*. I got a strength vs. temp chart here somewhere. I have no idea if the liners is similar epoxy or not.

But, it would be interesting to test. Like I said, I wouldn't be surprised if someone proved that under normal usage it was just fine. But if I was forced to bet, I would bet on it outgassing.