Fire Grilled Carne Asada Tacos W/ Homemade Tortillas

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Richard
Last night we decided to have carne asada tacos. As the missus left for the store to get some supplies, I suggested we try and make our own tortillas. So, she bought some pre-made masa dough and a cast iron tortilla press from the Mexican market and we're in business!

I fired up the Kingsford Oval for my usual smoky reverse sear, with a few chunks of oak on the hot coals:

IMG_0403-1.jpg

After the meat was cooked, I pulled it, along with the crispy onions I carefully grilled without burning too much:

IMG_0405-1.jpg

And finally, here's two plated tacos on the fresh tortillas along with a few slices of colby jack/poblano quesadilla:

IMG_0408.jpg

The tortillas has a nice crisp texture on the outside, yet were puffy and light on the inside. They were amazing, and I don't think we'll ever use store bought tortillas for tacos again!

Beautiful eats! We regularly buy the masa dough as well from a local tortilla factory and they come out so much better off the pan than store bought.

Nice cooking there Mooese, Yeah, fresh tortillas are pretty special. I happen to live 3 blocks from a Mexican store and can get them easily. But, yours look great.

Fantastic!

Is that skirt steak you use for carne asada? I just bought 2lbs of skirt steak from a mexican grocery store about a mile from where I work. It will be my first time grilling skirt steak, I also want to make carne asadas. Any advise?

Fantastic!

Is that skirt steak you use for carne asada? I just bought 2lbs of skirt steak from a mexican grocery store about a mile from where I work. It will be my first time grilling skirt steak, I also want to make carne asadas. Any advise?

Yes, it is skirt steak. I usually get the USDA Choice skirt at Costco. The marinade is simple:

Orange Juice
Thinly Sliced Onions
Cilantro
Seasoning Salt

I usually let it marinate in a plastic bag 1-2 days.

Most folks grill it over high heat, but I prefer a reverse sear with some wood chunks for a smokier taste while it's cooking indirect. I find it's best when cooked medium rare.

Hope that helps!

Yes, it is skirt steak. I usually get the USDA Choice skirt at Costco. The marinade is simple:

Orange Juice
Thinly Sliced Onions
Cilantro
Seasoning Salt

I usually let it marinate in a plastic bag 1-2 days.

Most folks grill it over high heat, but I prefer a reverse sear with some wood chunks for a smokier taste while it's cooking indirect. I find it's best when cooked medium rare.

Hope that helps!

That sounds soooo good...I'm doing it! Thanks!

Gheesh, I thought you weren't supposed to flip those skirt steaks until the internal temp hits about 210* and those tortillas are also supposed to be completely black on one side, no? At least that's what I read recently.... :whistle:

Those look really good anyway. :-D

Gheesh, I thought you weren't supposed to flip those skirt steaks until the internal temp hits about 210* and those tortillas are also supposed to be completely black on one side, no? At least that's what I read recently.... :whistle:

Those look really good anyway. :-D

Hmmm...you wouldn't happen to be referring to my recent "Intervention" thread, would you? :confused:

WOW, how did I miss this post?

The grub looks killer Moose, But where the heck is my plate? Oh speaking of plates, I like your checker board plates!

Hmmm...you wouldn't happen to be referring to my recent "Intervention" thread, would you? :confused:

Didn't get a chance to respond there until the thread was buried, so I thought I could do so here. What ya done here is good!

Back