Brisket Knife Gashes Suck!!!

Q-Dat

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Nothing like spending $30 on a piece of meat to open it up and find huge gashes that you absolutely cannot see in the cryo pack. I did two practice briskets today, and both of them were hacked up pretty bad. This seems to be a bigger problem with briskets from Sam's and Walmart.

I am gonna have to get them elsewhere because I dont want to buy briskets for the comps coming up and have them all mangled up by some guy at the packer who has absolutely no pride in his work.

Of course I suppose if I spent all day every day cutting up the same section of a cow I might go into autopilot myself.

That does suck. I guess the best option is to trim at home. At least you can get replacements before you go to the contest.

I feel you pain but I doubt if sourcing your (choice) briskets elsewhere would have a big impact on quality of butchering. Most are processed by 3 or 4 big packers like Excel (Cargill), IBP, ConAgra, and Beef Packers Inc. and my guess is the emphasis is on speed and not accuracy in these mega-processing plants. If you opt for the higher priced, specialty briskies, I suspect you'll get more uniform cuts, but then that's pure speculation on my part.

Woody is correct - generally the more you spend on a piece of meat the more carefully it has been processed. For example, sellers of Wagyu are aware that the customer that spends $80 for a brisket is not going to happy if thee meat cutter makes a big crosscut into the flat to check the thickness of the fat cap as a trimming short cut.

For example, sellers of Wagyu are aware that the customer that spends $80 for a brisket is not going to happy if thee meat cutter makes a big crosscut into the flat to check the thickness of the fat cap as a trimming short cut.

So thats why it happens? I had no idea, but that does make sense. I just got a contact at a local packer. I think I am going to make use of that now.

Back