Help bringing a Black Diamond back to life.

argon

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
Hi all! New member here. Thank you for a great site with so much awesome info!
I bought and US built New Braunfels offset smoker. I believe it's a Black Diamond (thanks to all the info in this forum). I have it all ready to reassemble and have a few questions about mods.

1. sealing the Smoker... I'm ready to reattach the my firebox. What do I use to seal the firebox to the pit (or is it even an issue?) to keep smoke from leaking?

2. extending the exhaust down to the grill. I know that most recommend it but I heard a couple good arguments against it and want the expert opinions from this site. The argument against is that lowering the exhaust will cause smoke to be trapped in the upper chamber and cause stale smoke.

Thank you for your help and the wealth of info that brought me here.
Argon

photo.php

121196740_10225395140285890_1467930202989765408_n.jpg
121196740_10225395140285890_1467930202989765408_n.jpg

Last edited:
My stick burner has a high smokestack. It was suggested that I smoked before any mods and my first cook had plenty of smoke flavor.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

You will get different answers from different people.

Mine? Bolt it back up- and cook on it. Don't worry about mods. Don't fret seals- stick burners are not like charcoal cookers. Small wisps of smoke coming from around your door is ok- really. Ignore it, you will be happier. As long as your chimney draws, you will be fine.

Enjoy your smoker.

When I rehabbed my NBBD I bought the angle grinder from HF for 10$ and the stainless wire wheel. Easy to get rid of rust. Eye goggles and mask with heavy duty gloves long sleeves all safety equipment I could think of used. I used flat black high temp paint on a warm cooker. A couple times. I did not use seals gaskets etc. I mainly used mine for quick cooks like chicken, spam, appetizers Tri tips etc.
I sucked at stick burn cooking. Wood is quite expensive when you live in an area with no trees. Brutally honest-I didn’t have the desire to babysit a fire every 30 minutes for a multi hour cook.

I've heard people talk about lowering the exhaust to grate level to drag the heat/smoke accross the cooking chamber. I don't see that as necessary, you'll get plenty of heat and smoke rolling around in there as it is. The placement, diameter and height of that stack also has a direct effect on how the smoker drafts, I'd leave it alone.

121827091_10225448843108427_7378936832755179436_o.jpg
Finished rehab on NB Black Diamond. Per advice here, I did not go crazy on mods. I am putting in a heat deflector and dual grate level thermometers. I still have to finish making the new front tray. I sprayed it with vegi oil. I still need to clean some rust off my cast iron grill (I took out of a Hondo). I guess I'm ready for my first burn to test and season it.

Thanks for all the help (past, present and future)

Looks good!! Gonna be doing the same thing in spring. I dont know that mine is a black diamond or not but i'll be refurbing it come spring

Back