MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-06-2018, 08:58 PM   #31
Clay-b-que
is One Chatty Farker

Looks like a lot of fun Marc! Looking forward to some more awesome pies!!!

P.S. How long does it take to get to temp?

Thanks from:--->

Old 01-06-2018, 09:04 PM   #32
ShadowDriver
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Marc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay-b-que View Post
How long does it take to get to temp?
Advertised is about 10 minutes.

From the point that I had the pellets "well lit" and left it alone, I waited 10 minutes before returning to the oven.

Total time from a cold oven is probably 15 minutes to about 850F+.

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-07-2018, 07:35 PM   #33
BDAABAT
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Bruce

Looking good!

Couple suggestions based on our experience with the Blackstone pizza oven:

For helping keep the dough from sticking to the peel (and if it's OK with your wife's dietary needs), you may want to try using what the pizza shops use - semolina:
https://www.amazon.com/Bobs-Red-Mill...=semolina&th=1

The semolina acts like little ball bearings to help keep the dough from sticking.

Before we tried semolina, I ended up inadvertently creating a couple calzones when the dough stuck in one place to the peel during launch.

For moving the pizza from the oven to inside and keeping the crust from getting any hint of sogginess, try a pizza screen:

https://www.amazon.com/Update-Intern...s=pizza+screen

Our process is: prep dough for launch on the wooden peel by sprinkling liberally with semolina. Then place the dough on the peel, add toppings, then send outside to the oven for launch. Have metal peel waiting outside along with screen. Once pie is ready to come out of the oven, retrieve from the oven using the metal peel, then transfer the cooked pie to the screen for transport. Lather, rinse, repeat as needed.

For when you're doing more than just a small batch of dough, consider using a proofing box:
https://www.amazon.com/Cambro-DB1826...h+proofing+box

For options to consider for dough, this site has excellent options:
http://doughgenerator.allsimbaseball...p?recipe_id=12

Good luck!

Bruce
Blackstone pizza oven
Blackstone 36" griddle
Weber gas grill
BDAABAT is offline   Reply With Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-07-2018, 08:41 PM   #34
ShadowDriver

Tops, Bruce! Appreciate the suggestions and insights into your process.

We have much to learn.

Old 01-15-2018, 12:21 AM   #35
KORND4WG X
is Blowin Smoke!

I fired up the Uuni this weekend because my BS oven motor wouldn’t start (Turns put it was a faulty AC adapter)

I actually hadn’t used it much lately but I was able to get it good and hot quickly and made 2 emergency pies since my nephew and his wife arrived early and we needed an appetizer

Maybe it was because we were hungry but it was some of our best pizzas yet I’m planning on using it more, maybe some veggies
KORND4WG X is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2018, 07:51 AM   #36
speed2486
is one Smokin' Farker

Those pies look great Marc! I think I just decided what I'm saving for next.
speed2486 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2018, 08:11 AM   #37
ShadowDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by KORND4WG X View Post
I fired up the Uuni this weekend because my BS oven motor wouldn’t start
Not needing to fire up the oven to "blazing hot" and thus heat up the kitchen is one of the reasons I bought the UUNI. And the fact that I can heat it up and be ready to cook in about 15 minutes (that's a tad on the long side... closer to 12-13) is impressive!

Funny you should mention making pies - We had a hankering for an old German Fest favorite - Flammkuchen (Good Recipe Here)

Here are the ingredients:
1/3 pound of bacon
2 small white onions
sea salt
1/2 cup crème fraîche
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
3 cups finely grated gruyère
flour
pizza dough
black pepper
2 tablespoons minced chives

We went gluten free with Bob's Red Mill again, but we split the resulting dough into 3 pies (vs. 2). We still can't get this quite thin enough, but it's a work in progress.

Then, I got a little crazy and went on a tangent as a New Mexican Flammkuchen - same idea with the crème fraîche base, but with "lardons" of last night's beef short rib, a little of the bacon, a few of the sautéed onions, quesadilla cheese, and hot Hatch green chile. Here's the end product, including a "cordoned off area with no hot Hatch, reserved for the munchkin."

Old 01-15-2018, 11:55 AM   #38
KORND4WG X
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowDriver View Post
Not needing to fire up the oven to "blazing hot" and thus heat up the kitchen is one of the reasons I bought the UUNI. And the fact that I can heat it up and be ready to cook in about 15 minutes (that's a tad on the long side... closer to 12-13) is impressive!
What lighting method you using? When I first got my Uuni I think it got to around 800-900 degrees. On subsequent cooks had trouble getting it up to temp, can't think of what I changed. I usually start it by dumping a handful in the tray and using a weed burner but I never got it back to that blazing hot fire. Maybe the pellets absorbed some moisture or something.

Last weekend I left the tray open a bit and kept the hopper topped off. Also used a butane torch that they recommend. That seemed to work much better - I didn't take temps because I was in a hurry but pies were done in 5 or so minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowDriver View Post
Funny you should mention making pies - We had a hankering for an old German Fest favorite - Flammkuchen (Good Recipe Here)

Here are the ingredients:
1/3 pound of bacon
2 small white onions
sea salt
1/2 cup crème fraîche
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
3 cups finely grated gruyère
flour
pizza dough
black pepper
2 tablespoons minced chives

We went gluten free with Bob's Red Mill again, but we split the resulting dough into 3 pies (vs. 2). We still can't get this quite thin enough, but it's a work in progress.

Then, I got a little crazy and went on a tangent as a New Mexican Flammkuchen - same idea with the crème fraîche base, but with "lardons" of last night's beef short rib, a little of the bacon, a few of the sautéed onions, quesadilla cheese, and hot Hatch green chile. Here's the end product, including a "cordoned off area with no hot Hatch, reserved for the munchkin."
Looks delicious - we tried the GF flour from Costco per wife's request but I could never get it to where I liked it. We're not GF so I've sticking with bread flour for now
KORND4WG X is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2018, 12:11 PM   #39
ShadowDriver

Quote:
What lighting method you using?
I've got a small propane torch from the hardware store, like I saw someone use in a setup video. I generally fill up the firebox with pellets and send in the controlled flame via the hole on the side. I'll typically keep the flame on it for about 90-120 seconds, and see how that does. If I need to get some more airflow, I'll open the front of the oven and leave the top off the hopper for a good minute or two, then replace them both.

Quote:
... we tried the GF flour from Costco per wife's request but I could never get it to where I liked it. We're not GF so I've sticking with bread flour for now
GF breads are difficult to work with and tough to get the texture "right."

I look forward to trying the "regular" dough with the 00 milled flour.

Old 01-15-2018, 12:39 PM   #40
BillN

Name/Nickname : Bill

Nice work Shadow thanks for showing off your new oven.
PK 360 w/Grill Grates
BillN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2018, 05:56 PM   #41
IamMadMan

Wow, Those are awesome pies Marc...
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2018, 06:08 PM   #42
Stingerhook

Name/Nickname : Marty

Nice work Marc.

UDS now gone, WSM 18", WSM 22" and pellet pooper in the garage for 18 months now.
Stingerhook is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2018, 06:52 PM   #43
Norm
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Private

Nice pies Marc!
Norm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Pizza, UUNI