MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-20-2011, 12:02 AM   #1
motoeric
Babbling Farker

Default Smokin w/ Myron Mixon

Hi,

I'm really enjoying Myron's book, but I'm a little confused by the recommended temps for pork butt and brisket.

If you've read the book, can you please offer your thoughts? The temps that he is recommending you pull, wrap and store the meats seems so high that I would have assumed prior to reading the book would have resulted in overcooking the meat via the carryover heat.

Am I nuts here? I mean, who am I to question Myron Mixon?

How much of a rise in temperature of a meat can you expect after foiling and throwing it in the cooler?

Thanks!

Eric

A BBQ Brethren Publication
2 Thessalonians 2:15
Exodus 12:9
motoeric is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-20-2011, 07:19 AM   #2
Curly Tails
Got Wood.

Sometimes the meat temp will raise 10 degrees if you just place it in a cooler or cambro style carrier.
Curly Tails is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-20-2011, 08:21 AM   #3
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

I haven't read the book, but I'm a little surprised he goes by temp

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-20-2011, 08:24 AM   #4
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

His higher finishing temps reflect his high cooking temp.
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-20-2011, 08:38 AM   #5
Boshizzle

I was at a comp last weekend where Mixon was competing. As I was walking past his cooking area I glanced over at his pit. The thermometer was reading 300 degrees F.

Keep in mind that while high heat cooks take less time the internal temp of the meat has to be higher to reach tenderness than it would be cooking at lower temps. Once you remove a piece of meat from a smoker and put it in a cooler you are still cooking it with carry over heat. So, a high temp butt still takes at least 7 hours when you estimate 5 hours in the smoker and two hours resting.

Thanks from: --->
Old 08-20-2011, 08:58 AM   #6
btcg
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoeric View Post
Hi,

I'm really enjoying Myron's book, but I'm a little confused by the recommended temps for pork butt and brisket.

If you've read the book, can you please offer your thoughts? The temps that he is recommending you pull, wrap and store the meats seems so high that I would have assumed prior to reading the book would have resulted in overcooking the meat via the carryover heat.

Am I nuts here? I mean, who am I to question Myron Mixon?

How much of a rise in temperature of a meat can you expect after foiling and throwing it in the cooler?

Thanks!

Eric
Hi Eric,

Ain't read the book.... but I attended the JOS cooking school. Also did Johnny Trigg's and Rod Grays class... AND... I don't cook like any of them.

I much prefer to low & slo... @ about 225.

I'd suggest you study the book carefully, and then decide how Myron's technique fits with you. But keep this experience as just another chapter in the "how to" book of BBQ.

Old 08-20-2011, 10:49 AM   #7
monty3777
is One Chatty Farker

I took his class in 2008 (I think). He cooks high!!

Old 08-20-2011, 05:43 PM   #8
The Cosmic Pig
is one Smokin' Farker

After cooking close to Myron last year in Barnesville, GA, and seeing how "late" in the morning they actually started cooking, I decided to try the "hot and fast" method. I cooked at 300 degrees for about 5 hours, or until the internal temp hit 200 degrees. When I first pulled the pork, I thought it was going to be tough - judging by the way it pulled. But once on a sandwich, it wasn't tough at all! However, if I were going to vend BBQ I would have cooked slow because it would have taken so much longer to pull the meat otherwise. Could someone please tell me why the difference? Does it have something to do with resting time(s)? I can't remember how long I let it rest for the hot and fast cook...Thanky!
[B]WSM 18.5[/B]
[B]Weber One-Touch Gold [/B]
[B]Smokey Joe Silver[/B]
The Cosmic Pig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-20-2011, 06:02 PM   #9
The Cosmic Pig
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boshizzle View Post
I was at a comp last weekend where Mixon was competing. As I was walking past his cooking area I glanced over at his pit. The thermometer was reading 300 degrees F.

Keep in mind that while high heat cooks take less time the internal temp of the meat has to be higher to reach tenderness than it would be cooking at lower temps. Once you remove a piece of meat from a smoker and put it in a cooler you are still cooking it with carry over heat. So, a high temp butt still takes at least 7 hours when you estimate 5 hours in the smoker and two hours resting.
Good info! I wondered why the butts I cooked hot and fast weren't nearly as tender as the ones I cooked slowly, even though they reached the same internal temp.
[B]WSM 18.5[/B]
[B]Weber One-Touch Gold [/B]
[B]Smokey Joe Silver[/B]
The Cosmic Pig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-20-2011, 06:26 PM   #10
Terry The Toad
is one Smokin' Farker

I've read his book, but I don't have enough experience to comment on his temps. Well, I guess I have enough to say I'll stick with what I know (and that is "low and slow".)

But, I do recommend his book for the recipes. There are several for chicken I want to try. My family can't eat babyback-ribs or pulled pork EVERY weekend. (Although I could.)

Last edited by Terry The Toad; 08-20-2011 at 06:41 PM..
Terry The Toad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-05-2011, 08:19 PM   #11
NorthwestBBQ

I just received my copy and after a quick scan, I can't wait to try some of the recipes and techniques.
NorthwestBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-05-2011, 08:37 PM   #12
sdbbq1234
is One Chatty Farker

Myron's method of cooking high and fast is not much different than cooking in an oven. Way back when, we used to cook brisket in the oven in a cooking bag or wrapped in foil on 325 with onions, carrorts, celery, etc... Always came out tender and moist.

I still think low 'n slow gets more smoke (BBQ) flavor for me.

wallace

- Life Is Good But BBQ Is Better
- BWS - Fat Boy
- WSM 22.5
- A bunch on other outdoor cooking stuff.
- KCBS CBJ# 58657
- MABA Member

"Take luck!"
sdbbq1234 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-05-2011, 10:10 PM   #13
Hoss
Quintessential Chatty Farker

The HOTTER you cook it the more the carryover temp will rise during the rest period.That is true with ANYTHING. If you cook a rib roast lo-n-slow it will be the same throughout.If you cook it HOT the outter ring will be WAY more done than the middle when the middle hits your desired temp.Works for some,but not for me. I'll NEVER argue with Myron or any other chef/cook.The reason people/cooks write books is to make money.PERIOD.
Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-05-2011, 10:37 PM   #14
Bigg Higg's BBQ
Knows what a fatty is.

Ive read the book and cooked 2 9lb butts last saturday for Homecoming at church on Sunday. I followed the recipie in the book including the injection, rub and sauce. I did not glaze. Cook Temp was 275-300. The book calls for a cook temp of 250. I pulled the butts at 205* (as usual) which took about 7 hours including changing aluminum pans, etc.... total time in the uds was probably 6 hours and 15 minutes, foiled and coolered for 3 hours. When i opened the foil to pull the pork for serving, it fell apart. It was probably some of the better pork ive cooked, not the best, but very good. Clean up was very easy.

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. ~ Thomas Edison[/COLOR][/LEFT]
Bigg Higg's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-2011, 01:33 AM   #15
tmehlhorn
Full Fledged Farker

Ive start smoking higher lately, 275-300 regulary and and it isnt anything to hit 325 if im in a hurry. With a boston butt on this method i go to about 195, wrap and let rest. Always tender, and has plenty of smoke