Sous Vide Question

Big George's BBQ

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Has anyone Sous Vide a London Broil. One recipe I saw said 12-24 hrs. That seems a bit long

Once. I do sirloin at 130° for 75 to 90 minutes, and without checking cook times I started a London broil (cut from the top round) at about 4pm one evening. At 5:30 I removed the zipper bag and probed it and it was pretty tight. I would up letting it cook all night. So that time is right.

It sounds about right to me at *130. After 6 hours you can give it the pinch test to check for tenderness.

I regularly go 12 to 24 hours @ *130 on flat iron steaks and they always turn out great

Big cuts benefit from lots of time. Shoot I’ve gone as long as 48 hrs on some roasts. Did a chuck recently for 48 and was great.

That's what I love about Sous Vide, you can't overcook something. I started a 2.5 pound top round roast yesterday and have it set for 18 hours. That will give me just enough time to finish it on the grill and slice it for the game at 1:00 today.

Chuck

Going for 9 hrs Will see how it goes. I have seen times from 4 to 24 hrs One person said 6-8 hrs is good for him so shooting for 9 hrs

A couple of tips since we're talking about long cooking times.... an insulated wrap for you square container or stock pot as well as a cover (even if it's just clear wrap) really helps and your circulator doesn't work as hard. I have the So-Vida ones but there are many others that look good.

If you have hard tap water, add vinegar to your water bath and your circulator won't get mineral deposits. If you do notice mineral deposits, (or want to give it a good cleaning) take a Mason jar (I use the 1-1/2 pint ones) and mix a 50:50 mix of vinegar and water. Set your circulator in the jar and run at 125° for about 25 minutes. I put a lid on the jar and reuse the vinegar/water mix 4 or 5 times.

Also, I've read (and subsequently confirmed personally) that when going extended cook times, cut way back on the salt, or your meat will have a firm/cured texture, like a whole ham.

A little disappointing. Meat sat in a brine of red wine, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, dark brown sugar. Garlic and thyme over night. Put in ziplock bag and got air out and sat in water at 138- Kay does like meat too rare. Sous Vide for 9 1/4 hrs. Pot covered with foil to prevent evaporation. Seared on the gasser with grill grates turned upside down at prob 800*. Meat was a little dry and a little tough. Flavor was OK

That's a shame. In my experience, marinating does not bode well for sous vide. I prefer seasoning right when I'm bagging the meat. And if using wine or Wooster I add a teaspoon or so.

If the cut of meat is something you'd simply sear and serve like a ribeye, sous vide times are very short. If the meat would generally take longer to render fat and make probe tender then using sous vide times may be as long as in a 'lo-N-slo' cook or longer. The advantage with sous vide is that you can almost NOT overcook a piece of meat since it NEVER is cooking hotter than your desired serving temp if even that high. I routinely cook a brisquet flat for as long as 36 hrs while a bone-in rib-eye NEEDS only a few hours then a flash sear. I suppose if I left a cut in for way too long it would eventually be mush but I still have teeth and not that much patience.

If I do it again I need to go longer then 9* and I guess I should Vac Seal to try to hold the juices in the meat There was a lot of juice that came out ov the Zip lock bag

I sous vide beef at 130-132 if I'm going to sear. I did a top round london broil for 18 hours once and it was tender, but not quite what I expected.

I think this was never going to turn out well. London broil is a lean cut of meat. The leaner the meat, the more rare you need to go IMHO. 138 is pretty high already and on top of that you seared it so it probably went into the 140s. Next time try 131 and go a little longer maybe 24 hrs.

Like mentioned above don't marinade and don't cook meats in a "bath" while sous vide. Anytime I do a roast or something else in that style, I rub the meat (usually SP) and add aromatics (shallot, crushed garlic, herbs (rosemary and thyme are my go to's)) and just add to the water bath. I personally do my roasts at 128-131 depending on what 'im going for and will sear after, whether on grill or cast iron with butter bath.

But high temp, lean cut, marinade, sear, all those factors may have worked against you. Good luck and hope you try it again. It really is simple once you get the hang of it! Try a chuck or round next, but go minimum 24-30 hrs. IMHO 30-36 is the sweet spot for a medium to large roast.

Back