I probably missed it but...

TexasGuppie

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
...what is this Kingsford "Competition" charcoal I see at Home Depot?

Anyone tried it? Any difference from the "regular" stuff? Will it make me a better BBQ'er? Will I be better looking? Grow hair?

-Gup

Don't waste your money on it. Home depot usally has sales of blue bag 2 fer 9.99 at 21.6 lbs each. or I been using the Stubs charcol at lowes.

Marketing. Ive been getting my best smoke from Best Choice Store off brand briquettes. Not the mesquit, but the plain ole' stuff.

I got some of the Comp at HD. Not too much more expensive, but not sure it was really worth it.

Had to try it, though.

I tried some store bransd stuff before that. Never again. Kingsford or nothing...

I do believe that comp kingsford is compressed lump. That really means a fast, hot burn without the addition of chemicals for regular coal. I prefer RO for lump. Scott

I bought a couple bags a few months ago. Still have a bag and half. Only tried it once on the Weber. It burns really hot compared to normal Kingsford. I am going to try it in the UDS one day. Not worth the $ to me.

You've got that right, Gup - it won't make you a better BBQ anything.

In Tae Kwon Do, our master used to say that becoming a black belt won't make you anything other than what you already are. But deciding to be something better than what you already are will make you a better black belt.

I tried a bag of the competition Kingsford once. It was OK. I still happily use Hy-Vee store-brand hardwood charcoal briquettes . . . and lots of wood!

Don't waste your money on it. Home depot usally has sales of blue bag 2 fer 9.99 at 21.6 lbs each. or I been using the Stubs charcol at lowes.

9.99??!!!!! You're kidding me!!??? I just picked up some at MY local H.D. for 16.99!!! The price you pay to live in paradise!!!:twisted::twisted::-D

The "comp" bags finally showed up at my local Lowe's, first I have seen of it down here. More expensive than the blue bag and I am still riding the magical coupon at my local Wally World so I will wait until it goes on clearance before I give it a try. If it burns hotter than my normal mix of Kingsford and RO lump, I might try it in the offset one day.

Costco has been selling the larger bags of Comp, 2 for $12-$14 all summer. I like using it in the kettle and WSM.

I haven't tried it yet, but probably won't based on the overall reviews listed here.

I tried a couple of bags earlier this past spring and it most definitely burns hotter;
I use a stickburner so I can see some advantage but I stick mostly with just basic blue bags on sale and RO lump. Not worth the extra $ as far as I'm concerned.

Back